The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broner/Perez, Alexander/Maidana unofficial thread

+10
Soonermark890
hardcorebee24
GK9899
Gumby
Tobe
Diego408
NJBeatdown86
Rum Capital
powerpuncher
captainanddew
14 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Broner/Perez, Alexander/Maidana unofficial thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Broner/Perez, Alexander/Maidana unofficial thread

Post  Gumby Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:46 am

captainanddew wrote:
Gumby wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
Gumby wrote:I think Alexander will stop him. He's a good finisher. For all the flack he's taken, he has looked better at 147 and controlled Maidana. He doesn't bounce around as much (I only saw him doing it in round 5) and has been pretty focused throughout.

I'm not sure he looks that much better. Alexander isn't facing someone with good technique and boxing ability. Alexander struggled with 3 guys that have pretty good to very good technique in Kotelnik, Bradley, and Matthyse.
Not technique, but physically. He looks stronger, he looks like he's punching harder, and he looks like he takes a better punch. He looked scared at times in there with those three. He's been tentative and tight against Maidana, but not scared.

he look scared because they coudl defend against his shots and landed counter shots. Maidana can't counter well enough. Witter was too past his prime. Urango was wide open.

Yes, moving up in weight will allow him to have more power and take a shot better but weight (contrary to what he says) is not why he really lost 3 fights.

He was scared because the counter shots hurt him and the shots he landed didn't hurt his opponents. He's landed in all of his fights except Bradley but he couldn't keep guys honest. Maidana was able to land a few hard counters tonight and they didn't phase Devon much at all. Devon was able to hurt Maidana.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Broner/Perez, Alexander/Maidana unofficial thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Broner/Perez, Alexander/Maidana unofficial thread

Post  captainanddew Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:48 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

I guess that he just always seemed kinda "Aww Shucks" to me. Tonight he seems like he really wants hurt his opponent. He has to fix the p[position of his head though and where it ends up after he throws a punch.

Alexander has fought 6 guys that were world class. Witter, Urango, Kotelnik, Bradley, Matthyse, and Maidana.

He was aggressive against Witter, Urango. Max-said this was the Devon Alexander that got me excited against Junior Witter and Juan Urango.

Weight isn't why he struggled in the Kotelnik, Bradley, and Matthyse fights. Those are better boxers.

To me he is stronger at 147 and takes a shot better, but it is going to be a matter of opponent. You have fighters that can match or come close to matching his boxing ability and he will go back to trying to shoe shine after a few rounds.

OK[/quote]

I'm not trying to shit on the guy. He was a top 5 guy at 140. He is a legit fighter at 147 and should be in the ring rankings there for quite a while.

He'll make for some good fights. But he isn't a guy who is going to steamroll the division. But other than Floyd and Pac, who the hell is!!!!!!!!! He will be in alot of good fights over the next few years.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:49 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:somebody watch the replay of the "knockdown" and tell me how it wasnt a push.

Did they score it a knockdown?
no but all 3 commentators said it was a knockdown even after seeing the replay. i just dont know why they all thought it was the wrong call.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:51 am

Gumby wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
Gumby wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
Gumby wrote:I think Alexander will stop him. He's a good finisher. For all the flack he's taken, he has looked better at 147 and controlled Maidana. He doesn't bounce around as much (I only saw him doing it in round 5) and has been pretty focused throughout.

I'm not sure he looks that much better. Alexander isn't facing someone with good technique and boxing ability. Alexander struggled with 3 guys that have pretty good to very good technique in Kotelnik, Bradley, and Matthyse.
Not technique, but physically. He looks stronger, he looks like he's punching harder, and he looks like he takes a better punch. He looked scared at times in there with those three. He's been tentative and tight against Maidana, but not scared.

he look scared because they coudl defend against his shots and landed counter shots. Maidana can't counter well enough. Witter was too past his prime. Urango was wide open.

Yes, moving up in weight will allow him to have more power and take a shot better but weight (contrary to what he says) is not why he really lost 3 fights.

He was scared because the counter shots hurt him and the shots he landed didn't hurt his opponents. He's landed in all of his fights except Bradley but he couldn't keep guys honest. Maidana was able to land a few hard counters tonight and they didn't phase Devon much at all. Devon was able to hurt Maidana.

against Kotelnik it wasn't a matter of keeping him honest. After a couple of rounds, Kotelnik began to time him. He just plain timed him. He got outboxed. Bradley outboxed him.

it is boxing ability. Alexander isn't a great boxer. He is good boxer with great speed.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:52 am

Alexander dominated and hurt Maidana a few times. He proved me wrong. Alexander actually sat on his punches and didn't try no shoe shinning bull crap. Alexander got his ass beat in 3 straight fights. He now beat a solid Maidana. It will be interesting who he fights next. This fight puts him in a good position. Broner can only get a good fight from that Jap at 130 and I'm sure that fight will not happen. Eloy was no joke either and made him look like it.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:07 am

Where has that Alexander been? I was thoroughly impressed by Alexander tonight.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:39 am

Good fight. Even though there was too much clinching. Had Alexander gone to the body instead of being a head hunter when he had Maidana hurt, he'd have gotten the KO.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:40 am

Soonermark890 wrote:Where has that Alexander been? I was thoroughly impressed by Alexander tonight.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks there is 2 Alexanders. The one who calms down a little bit and then starts sitting down on his punches because he gains confidence after a few rounds. Or the one that is being hit and boxed effectively and starts pulling back on his shots as a fight goes on.

I still think there is 2 of him. Lets see him sit be aggressive when he is being countered effectively.

Just like there is 2 Amir Kahns. The guy who is dominating by boxing and the guy that starts going from boxing to just moving alot when he gets hit alot.

Just like there is 2 Manny Pacquiaos. The guy who busts up most people but seems to struggle with technically sound boxers who can really counterpunch.

Styles make fights.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:41 am

GrantZilla wrote:Good fight. Even though there was too much clinching. Had Alexander gone to the body instead of being a head hunter when he had Maidana hurt, he'd have gotten the KO.

oh yeah, the body shots in round 8 I think had Maidana very hurt. Some more body shots and he would have been down.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:44 am

captainanddew wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:Good fight. Even though there was too much clinching. Had Alexander gone to the body instead of being a head hunter when he had Maidana hurt, he'd have gotten the KO.

oh yeah, the body shots in round 8 I think had Maidana very hurt. Some more body shots and he would have been down.

Maidana got an iron chin but has clearly shown his weak spot is the body. Kind of like Oscar and Pac. Only time I've seen either of them hurt was do to body shots.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:45 am

GrantZilla wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

Maidana got an iron chin but has clearly shown his weak spot is the body. Kind of like Oscar and Pac. Only time I've seen either of them hurt was do to body shots.

yeah, I'm still amazed he got up from the body shot against Kahn.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:54 am

captainanddew wrote:yeah, I'm still amazed he got up from the body shot against Kahn.

Tough guy that doesn't know what the meaning of quitting is. When he does go down, it'll be the ref having to save him.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:05 am

Happy to return from a fight that I don't feel like a crook at. Devon definitely feels better at 147 but had the right opponent in front of him to look good. I have said how overrated I felt Maidana was and how Devon can dominate these come forward fighters. Devon has underrated heart and determination IMO. He has fought Witter, Urango, Kotelnik, Bradley, Matthysse, and Maidana in consecutive fights. Not exactly HOF qualifying fights but as good as about anyone running. I'm looking forward to see if GB fighters can take the trinkets because that is the level Devon really is at. He isn't great but is good enough to take Paulie and would make it tough for Ghost or Aydin. I can see GB with the WBC and WBA while Top Rank has the IBF and WBO. Ignore that talk because I'm just riding high from the fight. Also, Wilder needs to step up in opposition and ring work.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:11 am

UBeeg9cats wrote:Happy to return from a fight that I don't feel like a crook at. Devon definitely feels better at 147 but had the right opponent in front of him to look good. I have said how overrated I felt Maidana was and how Devon can dominate these come forward fighters. Devon has underrated heart and determination IMO. He has fought Witter, Urango, Kotelnik, Bradley, Matthysse, and Maidana in consecutive fights. Not exactly HOF qualifying fights but as good as about anyone running. I'm looking forward to see if GB fighters can take the trinkets because that is the level Devon really is at. He isn't great but is good enough to take Paulie and would make it tough for Ghost or Aydin. I can see GB with the WBC and WBA while Top Rank has the IBF and WBO. Ignore that talk because I'm just riding high from the fight. Also, Wilder needs to step up in opposition and ring work.

I'm hard on your fighter. I admit it.

I'm glad you saw a good night of fights. I'm glad your guy won and looked good doing so.

I hope he proves me wrong and fights with the confidence and intention of hurting opponents going forward. He will need to do so.

Am I crazy for thinking that Devon isn't a relaxed fighter in general?

Does he needto really settle into a fight and be dominating in order to start sitting down on his punches? What 3 fights in his life did he not dominate? They are the 3 fights where he didn't really try to land powerful shots after the first few rounds.

Am I off base UB? He's your guy.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:18 am

Alexander got major stamina problems. He reminds me of Taylor. He'll throw rapid fire combos, then be out of gas and start hugging.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:20 am

captainanddew wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:Where has that Alexander been? I was thoroughly impressed by Alexander tonight.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks there is 2 Alexanders. The one who calms down a little bit and then starts sitting down on his punches because he gains confidence after a few rounds. Or the one that is being hit and boxed effectively and starts pulling back on his shots as a fight goes on.

I still think there is 2 of him. Lets see him sit be aggressive when he is being countered effectively.

Just like there is 2 Amir Kahns. The guy who is dominating by boxing and the guy that starts going from boxing to just moving alot when he gets hit alot.

Just like there is 2 Manny Pacquiaos. The guy who busts up most people but seems to struggle with technically sound boxers who can really counterpunch.

Styles make fights.

+1

some people just have a hard time with certain styles. thats what separates the good fighters from the great fighters and the great fighters from the elite fighters. its just less styles that are effective against them.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:20 am

GrantZilla wrote:Alexander got major stamina problems. He reminds me of Taylor. He'll throw rapid fire combos, then be out of gas and start hugging.

Taylor isn't relaxed also. He's tense and jittery in the ring.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:26 am

captainanddew wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:Alexander got major stamina problems. He reminds me of Taylor. He'll throw rapid fire combos, then be out of gas and start hugging.

Taylor isn't relaxed also. He's tense and jittery in the ring.

Wastes a lot of energy too. You're already exhausted before you hit the ring
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:48 am

Love seeing that dirty bastard Maidana lose.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:20 am

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:Love seeing that dirty bastard Maidana lose.

I don't know where you get off calling Maidana dirty yet you support some of the dirtest fighters.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:32 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Hagler's Bald Head wrote:Love seeing that dirty bastard Maidana lose.

I don't know where you get off calling Maidana dirty yet you support some of the dirtest fighters.

Maidana's is easily the dirtiest in the game, he needed to cheat against an old Morales FFS.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:58 am

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:Maidana's is easily the dirtiest in the game, he needed to cheat against an old Morales FFS.

Maidana less dirty than rabbit-puncher Haye and Amir "I got to shove" Khan
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:23 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Hagler's Bald Head wrote:Maidana's is easily the dirtiest in the game, he needed to cheat against an old Morales FFS.

Maidana less dirty than rabbit-puncher Haye and Amir "I got to shove" Khan

Alexander repeatedly rabbit punched Maidana tonight. At one point he gave him four huge shots in a row to the back of the head, Smoger had to pull Alexander off of him. It's a fight, this sort of thing happens. I'm tired of people complaining about dirty fighters, ball players etc. I'm fine with anything short of biting, gouging, and intentional low blows. If a guy is dirty and gets away with it he is commonly referred to as "Crafty". If you're fighting a dirty fighter you do exactly what Alexander did tonight, be dirty back. A guy hits you low, hit him low. He steps on your foot, step on his. It's the only way to neutralize that sort of thing.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:25 am

A masterpiece from Alexander tonight. It definitely showed that he is a legit threat! However, it obviously didn't answer how Alexander will be able to handle a fast fighter like Peterson, Khan, or Bradley Jr. Although, I think if he fought Bradley Jr. again, he would do a lot better. Either way, Alexander did what he needed to do... perfectly. I got chills seeing that masterpiece being painted in the ring tonight.

As for Broner. He is Floyd Mayweather Jr. 2.0. It's time for him to step up in class and start facing real fighters. Even if that means moving up in weight.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:57 am

Shaun wrote:A masterpiece from Alexander tonight. It definitely showed that he is a legit threat! However, it obviously didn't answer how Alexander will be able to handle a fast fighter like Peterson, Khan, or Bradley Jr. Although, I think if he fought Bradley Jr. again, he would do a lot better. Either way, Alexander did what he needed to do... perfectly. I got chills seeing that masterpiece being painted in the ring tonight.

As for Broner. He is Floyd Mayweather Jr. 2.0. It's time for him to step up in class and start facing real fighters. Even if that means moving up in weight.

Let's not get carried away.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next