The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broner-Perez for WBO trinket

Go down

Broner-Perez for WBO trinket Empty Broner-Perez for WBO trinket

Post  GrantZilla Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:24 am

A junior lightweight clash of unbeatens between Adrien Broner and Eloy Perez could be sanctioned for the division's vacant WBO belt should current titleholder Ricky Burns' inability to make the 130-pound weight limit scuttle a defense against Broner that is scheduled to be televised on Nov. 26 on HBO.

The 22-year-old Broner (21-0, 17 knockouts) is the mandatory challenger to the 28-year-old Burns (39-2, 9 KOs) of Scotland, who has made three title defenses since rising from a first-round knockdown to beat Roman Martinez and claim the vacant belt in September.

Burns-Broner was headed for Broner's home town of Cincinnati's U.S. Bank Arena, that is, until Burns' manager told BBC Radio that the fight was in doubt because Burns is having issues with making the weight.

"I'm expecting a call from [Burns' promoter] Frank Warren, because I read that Ricky Burns' [manager] has said that Ricky Burns is having problems making the weight, and that, therefore, he might have to give up the title," said Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer.

"Well, what that would mean for Adrien, is that I've talked to the WBO, and if Burns gets stripped, then the fight between Broner and Eloy Perez would be sanctioned for the vacant title."

http://tinyurl.com/3g95226
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down