The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BCS is good for college football

3 posters

Go down

BCS is good for college football Empty BCS is good for college football

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:51 am

We all like to trash on the BCS, and preach on how there should be a play-off. But will that realy make college football better?

Look at the cold hard facts, since BCS, college football regular season ratings have gone up. Each week games are majorly covered and discussed because of the BCS which makes the regular season matter every week.

Add on a play off would make college kids have to play up to 16 games in a play-off scenerio. And much like the NFL, the National Title will come down to a lot of times on not the best teams, but which team isn't completly ruined at the end.

Media loves to preach how geat the college basketball system is. Most people don't even care about the regular college basketball season until it comes play-off time. Compare ratings to college football regular season to college basetball regular season ratings, and college football blows them completly out of the water. It's not even close.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

BCS is good for college football Empty Re: BCS is good for college football

Post  Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:37 pm

I HATE the idea of a playoff for a simple reason. It devalues about the only truly meaningful regular season left in sports.

I'm not offended in the least that colleges have to argue about who was #1. They are COLLEGES!

Me? I'd go back to the days of conferences agreeing top meet in particular bowls in advance, hold them all New Years Day, have to flip channels like crazy because 3-4 games matter and then argue about things until next year.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:44 pm

The only thing I would change with the Bowls is make Rose Bowl be for the National Title again. It's absurd that it isn't. It's the granddaddy of all Bowls.

As for all worthless Bowls, I think marketplace will eventualy get rid of them. Some of them already have. A lot them just become non economic for schools. A lot schools are ending up losing money because have to pick up close to 50% of the tickets and most of them don't sell.

It's only TV that's wanting all these crappy Bowls, but I see eventualy schools that don't got kind of money to lose not accepting Bowl offers for Bowls that don't bring in attendance and are not watched.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:11 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:I HATE the idea of a playoff for a simple reason. It devalues about the only truly meaningful regular season left in sports.

I'm not offended in the least that colleges have to argue about who was #1. They are COLLEGES!

Me? I'd go back to the days of conferences agreeing top meet in particular bowls in advance, hold them all New Years Day, have to flip channels like crazy because 3-4 games matter and then argue about things until next year.

I agree with you to an extent. I really do like the idea of 1 loss being devastating to a national title run. However, I would like for them to utilize a playoff bracket IF IT'S NEEDED. Say there are four teams that finish the season undefeated... setup a 4 team playoff. That way everyone can keep their bowl games, keeps the regular season very intense, and doesn't screw anyone out of a national title.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:20 pm

I think the bowl system is great. Rarely do you not know who the best team in the country because the most deserving teams play for the title. Who cares about the rest of the rankings? And if small schools want to get the big game they can always make a schedule that demands it.

The only problem is there are too many bowls. It devalues them.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm

Gumby wrote:The only problem is there are too many bowls. It devalues them.

I don't think so. The traditional Bowls still get the best ratings, and what majority of people watch.

The shit Bowls are floundering. Most schools end up losing money because have to comp half the tickets for a half empty stadium.

Supply and demand will eventualy kill off a lot these Bowls. A lot of them have been axed. I think a lot schools will put pressure on that won't even accept Bowl bids for Bowls that take place clear across the country from their fanbase, and which TV ratings don't even justify losing the money.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down