The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Heavyweight Tournament (RD 1)

+8
flapanther2001
dmar5143
kbyte
koolkc107
powerpuncher
nano212
Soonermark890
freakzilla
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Heavyweight Tournament (RD 1) Empty The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Heavyweight Tournament (RD 1)

Post  freakzilla Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Just vote for who you think would win each fight if both fighters were at their peak in a 12 round fight.

1. Muhammad Ali vs Evander Holyfield
2. Joe Louis vs Joe Frazier
3. Rocky Marciano vs Wladimir Klitschko
4. Larry Holmes vs Floyd Patterson
5. George Foreman vs Jack Dempsey
6. Lennox Lewis vs Gene Tunney
7. Sonny Liston vs Vitali Klitschko
8. Mike Tyson vs Jack Johnson
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Heavyweight Tournament (RD 1) Empty Re: The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Heavyweight Tournament (RD 1)

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Ali
Louis
Rocky
Patterson
Foreman
Tunney
Vitali
Johnson
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Heavyweight Tournament (RD 1) Empty Re: The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Heavyweight Tournament (RD 1)

Post  freakzilla Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:41 pm

freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:30 pm

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Wladimir Klitschko
4. Larry Holmes
5. George Foreman
6. Lennox Lewis
7. Vitali Klitschko
8. Mike Tyson
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:32 pm

Ray Mercer vs Oliver McCall? Mercer
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:36 am

freakzilla wrote:Just vote for who you think would win each fight if both fighters were at their peak in a 12 round fight.

1. ali- he is just a better fighter hands down and would win a hard fought but convincing decision.
2. louis- kind of the same as #1. louis is just better but he would have to earn the win.
3. rocky- although the size advantage is huge, rocky has such a good chin and such a good punch that he could back up wlad despite his size and KO him.
4. holmes- i think that this would be a good fight while it lasted, but floyds chin is terrible. holmes would eventually land a hard right and take him out.
5. foreman- watch the dempsey-firpo fight. i think that thats how the fight would go except for the fact that dempsey loses.
6. lewis- while tunney is a top 3 LHW ever, and arguably a top 10 HW ever, lewis is a little too big and skilled. if tunney were a better puncher, then i would pick him, but i just cant see tunney taking the fight.
7. liston- like i always say, vitali is way too opened to get hit and liston has a very long reach. longer than vitali. he would use his jab and land continually.
8. johnson- this is probably the hardest for me to choose the winner. the main reason i pick johnson is because he was a master defensive fighter. i think that he could avoid of lot of tysons punches and he was also very good at getting into his opponents head. and one added bonus is that he is a strong guy and could make tyson fold after hitting him a few times.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  koolkc107 Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:33 am

1. Muhammad Ali vs Evander Holyfield- Ali dishing out constant punishment, stops a game Evander in 10.

2. Joe Louis vs Joe Frazier- Frazier by KO in 1. Left hook catches a cold Louis.

3. Rocky Marciano vs Wladimir Klitschko- Wladimir stops Rocky in 7...after surviving a 3rd round KD

4. Larry Holmes vs Floyd Patterson- Holmes in a one-sided unanimous decision that shoulda been stopped around round 8.

5. George Foreman vs Jack Dempsey- Foreman in 40 seconds. Jack never saw it coming.

6. Lennox Lewis vs Gene Tunney- Upset of the 1st round. Tunney continually befuddles a Lewis having an off night.

7. Sonny Liston vs Vitali Klitschko- Best fight of the 1st round. Both fighters down several times. Vitali in a very controversial split decision.

8. Mike Tyson vs Jack Johnson- Second best fight of round 1. A Hearns-Hagler type affair, violent but brief. Tyson catches Jack in the 5th and Johnson can't beat the count.

BTW- If Tunney gets in this tourney, then so should Norton, Bowe, Charles, and Walcott
koolkc107
koolkc107

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Ali
Louis
Wlad
Holmes
Foreman
Lewis
Vitali
Johnson
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:06 pm

with no disrespect for anyone its time for me to take a long break from this site since it seems to enjoy science ficton a great deal.as described by one member here this aloof arragant know it all wanna be historion that knows shit about boxing will make a few comments..i enjoyed powerpunchers deep thought that he put into his effort in exploring the realm of science ficton.weather i agree fully or particaly with his picks is not the point.i especialy liked the comments he made about a tunney-lewis fiction fight.again with no disrespect intended to anyone when i read the comments like dempsey gets flattened in 40 seconds by a punch he didnt see coming im wondering did jack have as a negotiating item have to go in the ring blindfolded.or louis gets koed in one by frazier .a fighter who i believe was surely greater then ali yes thats right gets dumpted by a very predictible and very stupid fighter as far as ring iq goes in joe frazier.and finaly both vitali who doesnt belong in the tourney yet we question tunney in the same breath as ugh norton gets droped several times and so does liston yet it goes 12 rounds..why no 15 round fights by the way.
i thought as satire to start a tourney with the worst legit heavyweight champ that included ingo leon spinks canera douglas mike moorer etc etc..anyway if i want to continue reading science fiction ill return to the comic books of my youth with my all time favorite captain marvel followed by superman and batman.superman as clark kent isnt recognized by anyone because he lol wears a pair of eyeglasses.thats more believable then jack going down for the count in 40 seconds or louis going out in less then a round.again these are my thoughts from as one member described as a elitist arragant know it all wanna bee.one thing for certain i do recognize science ficton no matter how its masks itself.lone ranger anybody.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:18 pm

I don't understand. If you don't like fiction fights then why would you enter the thread and read it? So some posters engage in a topic that they find interesting and all of a sudden you want to leave the site?
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:24 pm

freakzilla wrote:I don't understand. If you don't like fiction fights then why would you enter the thread and read it? So some posters engage in a topic that they find interesting and all of a sudden you want to leave the site?
Hes not leaving just taking a break. We all take breaks. I have a couple of months ago. Right now is not really a bad time to take a break since there are no fights going on.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:18 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla wrote:I don't understand. If you don't like fiction fights then why would you enter the thread and read it? So some posters engage in a topic that they find interesting and all of a sudden you want to leave the site?
Hes not leaving just taking a break. We all take breaks. I have a couple of months ago. Right now is not really a bad time to take a break since there are no fights going on.
I cannot understand why you continue to kiss this guys ass. His post clearly reeked of not only sarcasm, but was as condescending as can be. He even made a reference to me & our little argument, which I thought he wanted to drop. It's as if nobody is allowed to have any fun on this site. There will always be mythical match ups & "what ifs" in the sport of boxing. If somebody doesn't like it, all they have to do is nothing. Instead, he responds like that, and we're supposed to cave in? Honestly, fuck anybody that doesn't have a sense of humor.....
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:26 pm

doing nothing is my best thing.laziness,apathy & ennui are my constant companions.

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:20 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
I cannot understand why you continue to kiss this guys ass. His post clearly reeked of not only sarcasm, but was as condescending as can be. He even made a reference to me & our little argument, which I thought he wanted to drop. It's as if nobody is allowed to have any fun on this site. There will always be mythical match ups & "what ifs" in the sport of boxing. If somebody doesn't like it, all they have to do is nothing. Instead, he responds like that, and we're supposed to cave in? Honestly, fuck anybody that doesn't have a sense of humor.....

I actually agree with this post. Sure I would prefer to discuss real matchups vs mythical fights but in slow times, this is a very viable and interesting topic. The post was condescending and just shows that not everything has been cleared up. I love dmar's posts and learn a lot from them but I don't understand entering a thread to put it down.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:00 pm

If I can't have fun here, I guess I'll just go back to my strip club, have a drink & a lap dance, and enjoy it..... Very Happy
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Re: The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Heavyweight Tournament (RD 1)

New post flapanther2001 Today at 8:00 am
If I can't have fun here, I guess I'll just go back to my strip club, have a drink & a lap dance, and enjoy it..... Very Happy

sounds like a good idea but not sure you will get the same satisfaction as boxing.unless,of course the club has pillow fights & jelly wrestling What a Face

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:27 pm

now to the serious part,making an ass of myself
holyfield,he's my favourite heavy & though biased,i do think holy at his peak had a will unrivalled.
smokin joe's my 2nd fav heavy but louis would win,possibly by ko.
weird match up.wlad would waste energy punching down on rock & even when he connects he couldn't discourage marciano.chance of a ko but the rock is too tough & fit.
maybe interesting for a few rounds but holmes wins a convincing ud
see wlad v rock except the preacher has sleeping fists.foreman by kn
tunney couldn't get to lewis or be fast enough to stay away totally for 12.lewis ud
vitali most likely by tko
johnson is too much boxer for tyson.might be in doubt early but if johnson weathers the storm,he wins

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:59 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
I dont kiss anyone's ass. So you can drop that shit right now. And as to the highlighted part are you not the guy who threw a bitch fit because Dmar called you out.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
I dont kiss anyone's ass. So you can drop that shit right now. And as to the highlighted part are you not the guy who threw a bitch fit because Dmar called you out.
LOL.....HE called me out? You're the one that deleted my rebuttal post.....
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:11 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
Yep I deleted the one that you overreacted on.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:21 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
The I guess we know whom the bitch is....
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:23 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
The I guess we know whom the bitch is....
Where you just dumb enough to call me a bitch? Bitch this!!!
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:57 pm

freakzilla wrote:Just vote for who you think would win each fight if both fighters were at their peak in a 12 round fight.

1. Muhammad Ali vs
6. Lennox Lewis vs
7. Sonny Liston vs

Holyfield. He actually matches up very well with Ali. The fight would be a tactical battle and a LOT of fun. Before you freak out, I rate Ali behind only Louis as a fighter, but this is a matter of styles. Holyfield (along with Holmes) is one of the few fighters who can actually OUTJAB Ali. He is also capable of fighting in different styles while Ali is not. Basically, if Ali can out-jab you or out-tough you he is out of ideas. Holyfield would have a HUGE advantage over Ali on the inside and at close range due to his superior punch-selection and in-fighting skills. At long range the fight would favor Ali, but not by a huge margin. I think Holyfield takes a close decision.

I think Louis catches Frazier early and probably does enough damage to bring a TKO victory. If the fight goes long, Frazier would be in it but probably lose a close decision.

Marciano. At a huge disadvantage everywhere but where it counts. Heart, courage, will. The rock gets inside once and only once and Wvladimir wakes up a week later.

Holmes would stop Patterson inside of five rounds.

Foreman and Dempsey would be fun for a while before George overwhelms Jack in the mid-rounds. I think George might have to get up once or twice to do it though

Gene Tunney would have it ALLLLLL over Lewis in the skill and technique department. IF he avoids the big one from Lewis, Gene walks with a very boring an unexciting fight. Tunney was a very smart and tactical figher. He could keep things nice and slow since Lewis wasnt really a "go get em" type of fighter.

Liston vs Vitali is a puzzler for me. I think Vitali could probably counter enough of those dragging jabs from Liston to discourage or even stop Liston. Then again, I can see those jabs landing enough to bust Vitali up and stop him. Ill go Vitali on a coin toss.

Tyson would be smaller than Johnson, mentally weaker, and pretty much have all the same disadvantages he had against Holyfield, Lewis, Tillis, etc. etc. Johnson by UD.

Curious how you came up with the seeding for the tourney. Random, or with a pre-determined seating.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:32 pm

I just basically matched them up with style fights. Lewis and Tunney for instance are both smart fighters. Marciano vs Wladimir for the size difference etc.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:40 pm

freakzilla wrote:I just basically matched them up with style fights. Lewis and Tunney for instance are both smart fighters. Marciano vs Wladimir for the size difference etc.
I think Marciano got the perfect fight. He would kill Wlad. The guy had a fantastic chin and Wlad's is shit. I would say he KO's Wlad in the first round.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next