The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Rocky Marciano fought in the 60's & 70's?

+8
koolkc107
Tobe
kbyte
powerpuncher
dmar5143
Soonermark890
flapanther2001
freakzilla
12 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

If Rocky Marciano fought in the 60's & 70's? - Page 3 Empty Re: If Rocky Marciano fought in the 60's & 70's?

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:30 am

nano212 wrote:Rocky loses to every top 10 guy. He beat up a 175 year old Joe Louis can not be that great of a fighter!
LOL Thats their one!!!
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

If Rocky Marciano fought in the 60's & 70's? - Page 3 Empty Re: If Rocky Marciano fought in the 60's & 70's?

Post  powerpuncher Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:45 am

nano212 wrote:Rocky loses to every top 10 guy. He beat up a 175 year old Joe Louis can not be that great of a fighter!
im not sure if that was sarcasm or not.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:49 am

koolkc107 wrote:I will chime in with this:

There has NEVER been a better group of Heavies than the ones who fought in the 70's.

Not before or since.

Marciano would have major problems with several. So would Louis. So would a Klitschko.

(end of rant)
i will agree that there is no HW in history that could have gone in that era and had an easy time. it would be pretty much impossible to go undefeated.

as for the klitschkos, i truly believe that they wouldnt even be in the top 10. what some people dont understand is that the HWs although they were smaller, were way tougher. wlad has a huge punch but you get a jerry quarry in there with him who may get hit a few times but wont back down, wlad is not going to last. vitali may do alright because he has pretty good assets, but he is way too open. i think that there are really good boxers in that era that would have been able to just outbox him.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:42 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
kbyte wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but in my humble opinion Rocky Marciano has no chance against Ali.
Rocky was the only person Ali said that he wasnt sure he could beat.

I don't believe him. I think he was just giving some credit to a former champ.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:54 am

kbyte wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
kbyte wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but in my humble opinion Rocky Marciano has no chance against Ali.

Yeah that sounds like Ali. He was known for being extremely nice and humble.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:29 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
kbyte wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

lol!
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
kbyte wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

I don't care what he was known for. I doubt he really believed he would have a hard time with Marciano. And besides, I'd rather base my opinion of who would win in a fight based on how both guys actually fought.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:37 pm

...i can respect a lot of thoughts on here in this topic even if i tend to disagree.to say rock gets beat by every top ten guy is well.look guys like stan ward duanne bobick johhny boudreax randy neuman henry clark howard smith jimmy ellis etc etc over the years were ranked in the top ten.there were others like them also.so to read something like this makes me wonder what the fuck am i doing on here.in that era theres a possibilty no one goes unbeaton but this is going to far or to say rocky would have trouble with any top ten guy is just as rediculous.toss in dempsey also...sorry but this is more then bullshit.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:07 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
...i can respect a lot of thoughts on here in this topic even if i tend to disagree.to say rock gets beat by every top ten guy is well.look guys like stan ward duanne bobick johhny boudreax randy neuman henry clark howard smith jimmy ellis etc etc over the years were ranked in the top ten.there were others like them also.so to read something like this makes me wonder what the fuck am i doing on here.in that era theres a possibilty no one goes unbeaton but this is going to far or to say rocky would have trouble with any top ten guy is just as rediculous.toss in dempsey also...sorry but this is more then bullshit.
Dmar, most people would agree with you. LOL I think the Rock has a terribly diffcult time with a prime Ali and Foreman for different reasons. Joe Frazier vs. Rocky M? Hide the women and children. LOL

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:42 pm

dmar....what do you think of a prime Joe Louis vs Marciano?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:42 pm

A few opinions.
Liston has become overrated in time. He was a good fighter, dont get me wrong. But he was not the wrecking ball monster people think he was. The guy was Evander Holyfields size. Bigger hands and neck, but same hieght and weight. He also had HUGE fundamental and technical flaws that a guy like Marciano would absolutely jump ALL over!

Ali vs Marciano, Louis vs Marciano, Louis vs Ali, they are all the same. Fights between masterful fighters that met and defeated tremendous fighters and challenges. I would not bet heavily on or against any of them.

I think if you take a fighter of yesterday and give him modern training methods he could get bigger and stronger. He would not get BETTER technically. Older fighters have it all OVER todays fighters with few exceptions.

Take todays fighters back in time, and thier lack of basic fundamentals and toughness would get them beaten like drums.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:56 pm

boxinglawyer wrote: A few opinions.
Liston has become overrated in time. He was a good fighter, dont get me wrong. But he was not the wrecking ball monster people think he was. The guy was Evander Holyfields size. Bigger hands and neck, but same hieght and weight. He also had HUGE fundamental and technical flaws that a guy like Marciano would absolutely jump ALL over!

Ali vs Marciano, Louis vs Marciano, Louis vs Ali, they are all the same. Fights between masterful fighters that met and defeated tremendous fighters and challenges. I would not bet heavily on or against any of them.

I think if you take a fighter of yesterday and give him modern training methods he could get bigger and stronger. He would not get BETTER technically. Older fighters have it all OVER todays fighters with few exceptions....

Take todays fighters back in time, and thier lack of basic fundamentals and toughness would get them beaten like drums.

...BL thank you.im at work but your saying exactly what ive said only in better words.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:13 pm

kbyte wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
kbyte wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

I don't care what he was known for. I doubt he really believed he would have a hard time with Marciano. And besides, I'd rather base my opinion of who would win in a fight based on how both guys actually fought.
So now we are saying Ali the cockiest asshole in the history of the sport lied to make Marciano look better or something? LOL

Ok so how does Ali keep Rocky off him? With his ungodly power? LOL
Everyone underestimates Rocky and overestimates Ali. Ali was good but damn guys he wasnt unbeatable. If a Joe Frazier could beat Ali why not Rocky? Rocky hit harder with both hands, and had a better chin. There is a damn good reason Ali respected Marciano so much and it wasnt because Ali liked white people so much.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:35 am

dmar5143 wrote:

Dmar- buddy chill out my first comment I was just being sarcastic since it seemed this post got some of yall riled up a bit and the second comment I am guessing you have never seen the movie Coming To America? Lol I am way to young to pass any kind of opinion on The Rock and his accomplishments or what he would have done against other fighters in different years!
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:45 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
kbyte wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
kbyte wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

So now we are saying Ali the cockiest asshole in the history of the sport lied to make Marciano look better or something? LOL

Everyone underestimates Rocky and overestimates Ali. Ali was good but damn guys he wasnt unbeatable. If a Joe Frazier could beat Ali why not Rocky? Rocky hit harder with both hands, and had a better chin. There is a damn good reason Ali respected Marciano so much and it wasnt because Ali liked white people so much.
frazier had a 73" reach compared to rockys 67". there height was about the same though. we have seen rocky get outboxed before but one of his great assets is overcoming it and getting the KO. i just cant see him winning many rounds against ali and i cant see him winning by KO.

ali lost to frazier who was on top of his game and ali just came off a terrible performance against bonevena. i think he was still getting rid of some ring rust. thats why ali beat frazier the next 2 times. in their third fight, ali was winning most of the rounds.

ali was not unbeatable, but rocky was just didnt have a good enough reach to really get to ali. i beleive that rocky would have his moments, but he wouldnt get it done at the end of the day.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:48 am

boxinglawyer wrote: A few opinions.

I think if you take a fighter of yesterday and give him modern training methods he could get bigger and stronger. He would not get BETTER technically. Older fighters have it all OVER todays fighters with few exceptions.

not that im defending liston or anything, but the one thing that people arent taking into account is he is known for his exceptionally long reach at 84". that is about a foot and a half longer than marcianos. that has to count for something. and liston is no push over.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:05 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
kbyte wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
kbyte wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

I don't know why you're getting so worked up over this. Its just my opinion, you don't have to get upset. I know Rocky was a great fighter I just don't think he could have beaten Ali.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:50 pm

kbyte wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
kbyte wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
kbyte wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

I don't know why you're getting so worked up over this. Its just my opinion, you don't have to get upset. I know Rocky was a great fighter I just don't think he could have beaten Ali.
Do I seem like I am getting worked up? I am not I actually enjoy talking about this stuff and I respect your opinion.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:19 am

Ali feather fisted? I don't know about that. During his first reign as champion, only two fighters went the distance with him, Ernie Terrell and George Chuvalo. When you consider that he carried Ernie the distance and the only one who made it on his own ability was Chuvalo, I would think that we should at least give him some credit for hitting power.

Also, George Foreman was knocked out by Ali and only Ali. Yeah Foreman was tired, but make no mistake about it, Ali knocked the living shit out of him. Go back and look at that punch. Ali also stopped Frazier in his tracks fighting Joe's fight. He damn nearly killed Joe in Manila. Doesn't sound like a light puncher to me.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:53 am

frank i dont reall reading here in this topic ali was featherfisted.if it was said its a extremly false statement.ali was not a great puncher but was very adaquate in that department.definatly a decent puncher.the punch that finaly droped george was a very good one solid on the button.some things i remember about that fight seeing it live as well as the times ive reviewd that fight.foreman was a stationary target that any fighter could not miss hiting in that round.exausted yes but that started at the end of round 5.george was spent there.ali before that punch hit george with 2 other good right hands.
ali himself was tired and slow but for sure had much more gas in the tank then george.ali shoulkd of taken him out in the sixth round.for sure the seventh were foreman litterly was extremly slow no zip on his punches and very very hitable and was exahusted.this was the poorest conditioning ive see a world champion fight in.pathetic.
contrary to the myth and years of folklore ali did not stay on the ropes all night long and allow the wide swining foreman to punch himself out.sorry thats a exaggerated thing.he did do that 5 or so times in the fight especialy the 7th round where in reality all ali had to do was throw a combo and the easy to hit george would of hit the deck.foreman would of punch himself out if ali stood in the ring center.foremans conditioning was pathetic.this fight more then the lyle fight the peralta fight the young fight shows how inept foreman realy was.
in fact it was the poorest excuse of a championship caliber effort ive ever seen.george was wide open easy to hit all night long.his extremnly wide punches that needed his feet planted firmly would of been target practice for a high caliber fighter.
rewatch the fight and just consintrate on geoge.yes a very heavy handed tremendous puncher but he showed the worst defense ive ever seen a heavyweight champ show.his conditiong was the worst also.offensively outside of wide wide swinging punches he was the most inept hw champion in that offensive department that night .the guy didnt know how to fight and tech wise was extremly sloppy..the old george did make big improvements in several of thoses areas thanks to archie moore not dick saddler.
stop thinking a fighter is going to slug it out with george and think of a fighter waiting for george to come to him which is every time.think of a guy sticking a jab in georges face and a right hand over the top at a slight angle.someone that knows distance for foreman did not and move a few inches inside his arch punching range.a peralta type of thing but by a fighter who can excute at a high level.then youll understand why joe louis will kill foreman.or a walcott in round 5 -6-7 would of realy knocked the shit out of him and yes both would make it to thoses rounds no problem.
this post may piss off foreman lovers but watch that fight.foreman did nothing right.it wasnt alis rope a dope or brillience but foremans inept ability.he threw no jabs no angles no feighting no correction in shorting his punches didnt slip one punch all night long.add to that a predictable plodding and well the results were predictible.also add to that a pathetic thing called conditioning.i won some serious money on that fight and i rarely bet anything but a close to sure thing.thats how i viewd that fight going in.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:53 am

This is interesting. The Ring has Marciano listed as the #14 Greatest Puncher of all time. Guess who number 15 is?
http://boxing.about.com/od/history/a/ring_punchers.htm
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:20 am

flapanther2001 wrote:This is interesting. The Ring has Marciano listed as the #14 Greatest Puncher of all time. Guess who number 15 is?
http://boxing.about.com/od/history/a/ring_punchers.htm
I hate to say it, but that's a terrible list. I won't say anything else about it because I don't know where to start first.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:54 am

rings lists of several things are basicaly a joke.i agree frank.all one has to do is look at whos number 8 on that list.ill remind panther that ring lists bo-hop as the greatest middle champ of all time and sturm number 7.so much for there lists if you wish to justify anything.
to take it a step further nat fletcher rings founder started lists and ring mag followed his lead with similar incompetence and some predudice also.example with nat only one fighter who actualy won a title after 1915 is ranked number one in his list of the divisions greatest fighters.at heavy weight nat has if memory serves me correct joe louis as number 6 behind corbett and fitsimmons.marciano 10 schmeling 9.alis not on the list and nats reasoning is that he cant replace him over marciano.yet max corbett fitzimons you can justify also over ali nat..at light heavy i think it was phildelphia jack obrien.anyone consider him for a top 15 spot here.nope.ketchel at middle.at welter robinson doesnt make the top 3.
yes rings list or most of them is interesting..interesting incomptence and bullshit.oh by the way jeffries at 33..not a great puncher.a mauler like gene fullmer yes.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:22 am

i just looked up nats top ten list in every division.al kid mccoy is number 1 at LH obrien numbr 2 sorry.jack root number 5 no where is archie moore or charles in the top ten..at welter sorry robinson dont make the top ten at all...armstrong is listed number 8 but mysterious lol billy smith is number 2..billy papke anyone for number 7 at middle.saddler not in the top ten at featherweight at all.the list was made in 1971.yes everyone like nat or even ring magazine is entiltled to an opinion no matter how wrong or foolish it is.and in both there cases its both.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:46 am

dmar5143 wrote:i just looked up nats top ten list in every division.al kid mccoy is number 1 at LH obrien numbr 2 sorry.jack root number 5 no where is archie moore or charles in the top ten..at welter sorry robinson dont make the top ten at all...armstrong is listed number 8 but mysterious lol billy smith is number 2..billy papke anyone for number 7 at middle.saddler not in the top ten at featherweight at all.the list was made in 1971.yes everyone like nat or even ring magazine is entiltled to an opinion no matter how wrong or foolish it is.and in both there cases its both.
Dmar, these lists seem want to make the statement that they are above the intelligence of every fan and member of the boxing press, and they make a fool out of themselves in the process. I'm glad you commented on them. I don't have the stomach to. LOL

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next