The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Rocky Marciano fought in the 60's & 70's?

+8
koolkc107
Tobe
kbyte
powerpuncher
dmar5143
Soonermark890
flapanther2001
freakzilla
12 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

If Rocky Marciano fought in the 60's & 70's? - Page 2 Empty Re: If Rocky Marciano fought in the 60's & 70's?

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:29 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla wrote:He would've been a bit bigger but he wouldn't have been taller like Dmar was suggesting.
Yeah but his height isnt really an issue. Look at the recent history of the sport. Brewster wasnt tall yet he KO'd Wlad. Tyson wasnt tall and neither was Holy.
Have you seen Rocky fight? He was easy to hit, not a good thing against Liston. Toughest chin around, but damn....
Yes but not cleanly with lots of power. Marciano smothered a lot of punches or rolled with them. The guy's footwork is highly underrated.
Liston dropped guys with his jab!!! Rocky has been knocked down, cut up, hell, his nose was hanging off in one fight. Footwork? He was a bull, but footwork?
It takes some great footwork to get inside and fight that way. We are not talking about movement. We are talking about footwork.
Frazier got inside on Ali.....look what happened when he employed that strategy with Foreman. Ali had to dance around Liston, Foreman, Frazier, in order to win. Marciano was no dancer.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

If Rocky Marciano fought in the 60's & 70's? - Page 2 Empty Re: If Rocky Marciano fought in the 60's & 70's?

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:31 am

I'm just trying to be objective here, maybe this post struck a nerve in dmar.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:33 am

flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
freakzilla wrote:He would've been a bit bigger but he wouldn't have been taller like Dmar was suggesting.
Yeah but his height isnt really an issue. Look at the recent history of the sport. Brewster wasnt tall yet he KO'd Wlad. Tyson wasnt tall and neither was Holy.
Have you seen Rocky fight? He was easy to hit, not a good thing against Liston. Toughest chin around, but damn....
Yes but not cleanly with lots of power. Marciano smothered a lot of punches or rolled with them. The guy's footwork is highly underrated.
Liston dropped guys with his jab!!! Rocky has been knocked down, cut up, hell, his nose was hanging off in one fight. Footwork? He was a bull, but footwork?
It takes some great footwork to get inside and fight that way. We are not talking about movement. We are talking about footwork.
Frazier got inside on Ali.....look what happened when he employed that strategy with Foreman. Ali had to dance around Liston, Foreman, Frazier, in order to win. Marciano was no dancer.
Ali didnt have the power Rocky had so he was forced to fight that way with those guys.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:35 am

flapanther2001 wrote:I'm just trying to be objective here, maybe this post struck a nerve in dmar.
Nah he just doesnt like these topics because a lot of us dont know these fighters as well as he does. If anyone knows these guys inside and out its Dmar.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:39 am

flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
..yep ive sceen rocky fight.easy to hit.not realy.ask louis or moore or ali they will tell you differnt.yep he was knocked down twice.did you ever see or understand how or what.what do you actualy see in a fight or watch.do you actualy pay attention to detail cause from what your saying you dont.and if you dont then you dont know what your talking about.if you look at the moore knockdown you will see a rare mistake by rocky which is whem coming foward he picked up his right leg instead of his usual shuffle.while that leg was in the air or foot i should say he got hit with a hard right.balance cause the knockdown since rocky was standing on one foot only..the walcott fight rocky had his body and feet squared off a easy position to get knocked down.walcott hit him with 2 left hooks that were harder then the one he kaoed charles with.thats per walcott.rock wasnt fazed.he looked over to his corner and got up fast..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:41 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:I'm just trying to be objective here, maybe this post struck a nerve in dmar.
Nah he just doesnt like these topics because a lot of us dont know these fighters as well as he does. If anyone knows these guys inside and out its Dmar.
Trust me. I'm an Italian who's father was a boxer. I would love to run around saying Marciano would beat everybody but that would be a biased opinion. I have to be objective here.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:44 am

yes rocky was no dancer.but he fought at angles and was a master at distance.perhaps better then anyone.he knew distance and how to control real estate.to slip a jab and to get inside where distance is strongly now to your advantaged doesnt require great footwork.just a step or so quick with antisipation which rocky did extremly well.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:46 am

flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
Trust me. I'm an Italian who's father was a boxer. I would love to run around saying Marciano would beat everybody but that would be a biased opinion. I have to be objective here.
You fiery Italians are all the same. LOL just kidding. But I think your underestimating the rock on this one. Ali and a prime Joe Louis to me are the only ones that give him fits. Oh and maybe Holyfield. That guy was one tough SOB. Damn that would have been one great fight Holy vs Rocky. Shocked Battle of the chins.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:48 am

dmar5143 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
..yep ive sceen rocky fight.easy to hit.not realy.ask louis or moore or ali they will tell you differnt.yep he was knocked down twice.did you ever see or understand how or what.what do you actualy see in a fight or watch.do you actualy pay attention to detail cause from what your saying you dont.and if you dont then you dont know what your talking about.if you look at the moore knockdown you will see a rare mistake by rocky which is whem coming foward he picked up his right leg instead of his usual shuffle.while that leg was in the air or foot i should say he got hit with a hard right.balance cause the knockdown since rocky was standing on one foot only..the walcott fight rocky had his body and feet squared off a easy position to get knocked down.walcott hit him with 2 left hooks that were harder then the one he kaoed charles with.thats per walcott.rock wasnt fazed.he looked over to his corner and got up fast..
If you're going to be an arrogant ass, this will get ugly fast. Do you really think you're the only one that watches boxing? Do I pay attention to detail? WTF kind of question is that? I don't know what I'm talking about? I have an opinion on the match up, period. It's an objective opinion, plain & simple. Learn how to spell and maybe I'll value your opinion more.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:50 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
You fiery Italians are all the same. LOL just kidding. But I think your underestimating the rock on this one. Ali and a prime Joe Louis to me are the only ones that give him fits. Oh and maybe Holyfield. That guy was one tough SOB. Damn that would have been one great fight Holy vs Rocky. Shocked Battle of the chins.
How could it be? According to dmar, Rocky would be 6' 4"...LOL
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:59 am

sorry i cant type.and it takes a while to do a post.im not being arragant but to think liston was a great puncher.he wasnt.to think he wasnt hitable also.to claim rocky was easy to hit is a mistake.tex cobb was easy to hit.after the second ali fight liston fought a dozen guys or more.all stiifs.big time ones.several matchups against top fighters were talked about liston turned them down.why.liston when pressed or fighting a fast pace was done after 5 -6 rounds.thats how ali beat him the first time.liston quit cause he was getting hit often and was slowing down.ditto with martin who koed him..he was pooped in the last few rounds against machen who was on the downside..therews no way liston takes rock out early and rocky extends him in the middle rounds he kills him.again one guy quits under adversity the other gets better.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:00 am

no i said 6-2 today and 215..louis will be 6-4 today.read over.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:02 am

dmar5143 wrote:no i said 6-2 today and 215..louis will be 6-4 today.read over.
Hey Dmar did you see my post asking about what if Rocky had used today's weight training? Would he have been the same height and 215 or so?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:08 am

dmar5143 wrote:sorry i cant type.and it takes a while to do a post.im not being arragant but to think liston was a great puncher.he wasnt.to think he wasnt hitable also.to claim rocky was easy to hit is a mistake.tex cobb was easy to hit.after the second ali fight liston fought a dozen guys or more.all stiifs.big time ones.several matchups against top fighters were talked about liston turned them down.why.liston when pressed or fighting a fast pace was done after 5 -6 rounds.thats how ali beat him the first time.liston quit cause he was getting hit often and was slowing down.ditto with martin who koed him..he was pooped in the last few rounds against machen who was on the downside..therews no way liston takes rock out early and rocky extends him in the middle rounds he kills him.again one guy quits under adversity the other gets better.
So Liston wasn't a great puncher? Funny, there are a bunch of Boxing experts that disagree.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:08 am

rocky did lift weights for flexabilty and strenth.he was told to quit because at that time it was taboo with nonsence of musclebound lose flexabilty.0so rocky understood that resistence which is weight training and invented his way of getting stronger and flexable by pubching in water up to his neck.he punched with punches underwater feeling and thinking correctly it helps with power one punch hand speed and added strenth in the muscles needed to punch with..if rocky used weights it would be not for size but for thoses reasons.i hope that helps.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:10 am

flapanther2001 wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:sorry i cant type.and it takes a while to do a post.im not being arragant but to think liston was a great puncher.he wasnt.to think he wasnt hitable also.to claim rocky was easy to hit is a mistake.tex cobb was easy to hit.after the second ali fight liston fought a dozen guys or more.all stiifs.big time ones.several matchups against top fighters were talked about liston turned them down.why.liston when pressed or fighting a fast pace was done after 5 -6 rounds.thats how ali beat him the first time.liston quit cause he was getting hit often and was slowing down.ditto with martin who koed him..he was pooped in the last few rounds against machen who was on the downside..therews no way liston takes rock out early and rocky extends him in the middle rounds he kills him.again one guy quits under adversity the other gets better.
So Liston wasn't a great puncher? Funny, there are a bunch of Boxing experts that disagree.
..they can disagree all they want.marciano tyson foreman shavers ill call great punchers.saddler julian jackson graziano zarate not liston.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:57 am

back to the original topic, i think that marciano was great and i think that he would do very well no matter what era you put him in. if he fought from 68-76 then he would have been around the same time as frazier, only starting a bit later. i think that marciano would beat frazier if they fought later in marciano's career but if they fought around 70' then i think that frazier's experience would win out. if they fought around 72' then i think marciano wins.

i already gave my opinion about foreman on this one. i dont care what anybody says, no way marciano can beat foreman. ali would be coming out of retirement and would have problems with him if he fought marciano right after he came back but if you gave him 2 years, ali wins it pretty easily.

although the 70's had some great HWs, i cant think of any of the other ones at that time that i think would beat marciano. someone could pull of an upset but i doubt it.

so i think that if rocky fought good competition through that era i think he would end up with about 3 losses. 2 to ali, 1 to foreman.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:37 am

I don't know about anyone else, but in my humble opinion Rocky Marciano has no chance against Ali.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:46 am

kbyte wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but in my humble opinion Rocky Marciano has no chance against Ali.
i will agree. well, i cant say no chance but it isnt very big. i think that it would be the walcott fight all over again without the KO.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:09 am

Rocky wouldn't have been 6'2 if he was born this day and age. There are still more adult males under 6 feet than over 6 feet this day and age.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:16 pm

powerpuncher wrote:
kbyte wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but in my humble opinion Rocky Marciano has no chance against Ali.
i will agree. well, i cant say no chance but it isnt very big. i think that it would be the walcott fight all over again without the KO.

I think Ali is a terrible match-up for Marciano - too big, too fast, too much movement. Not that Rocky wasn't great and not to say he couldn't win on a given night, but I really see Ali having too many advantages there.

You can't put much stock in what Ali said about Rocky either - he respected the man and was speaking from that respect. If anything that tells me Ali would have brought his "A-game" in this mythical match-up and made it even harder for Marciano.

But I do think Marciano beats most everyone else in that era - other than probably Big George.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  koolkc107 Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:51 pm

I will chime in with this:

There has NEVER been a better group of Heavies than the ones who fought in the 70's.

Not before or since.

Marciano would have major problems with several. So would Louis. So would a Klitschko.

(end of rant)
koolkc107
koolkc107

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Rocky loses to every top 10 guy. He beat up a 175 year old Joe Louis can not be that great of a fighter!
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:31 pm

nano212 wrote:Rocky loses to every top 10 guy. He beat up a 175 year old Joe Louis can not be that great of a fighter!
One knock on Marciano's 49-0 was the lack of good competition.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:30 am

Rocky was the only person Ali said that he wasnt sure he could beat.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next