The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE SIMILARITES OF DEMPSEY AND MARCIANO

Go down

THE SIMILARITES OF DEMPSEY AND MARCIANO Empty THE SIMILARITES OF DEMPSEY AND MARCIANO

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:44 am

they have been often compared as far as what they did in the ring..im not doing that but will compare what they did outside the ring.1.first both when retired were great images and ambasadors for the sport.2.dempsey upon learning of billy miskes illness gave him a title shot because he knew it would assure billy of a big payday for his family.marciano noted for his fear of going broke and a cheapskate for years sent carmen vingo money.2.tunney and dempsey became friends to the point that gene asked jack to campaign for his son for the us senate.rocky and joe louis became freiends and whenever rocky was given a chance to appear at a event he would often attemt to get joe on the program for money also..if the budget wasnt there for that rocky cancelled a future event claiming schudle problems but said hey look i think i can get joe louis for you.
3.both were involved either upfront or behind the sceens to raise money for other fighters.rocky did this several times for charles..4. both gave a handout so to speak annonomously..marciano often had a friend get a shine from beau jack and give 100 or two as a tip but few knew the money actualy came from rocky.rocky didnt want his cheapskate image tarnished..4both stayed in touch with old foes.firpo invited jack to visit him and thanked him for making him wealthy.marciano was always calling joe louis or walcott to appear at a event with him providing the 2 joes were paid.
5. both outside the ring were humble and gentle guys..i can go on and on how they were similar..and on and on why they are well loved by this boxing fan.

Back to top Go down

THE SIMILARITES OF DEMPSEY AND MARCIANO Empty Re: THE SIMILARITES OF DEMPSEY AND MARCIANO

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Nice post.

Jack Demspey's transformation from hard as nails hobo to gentleman really was amazing. F Scott Fitzgerald was wrong. There ARE second acts in American life.

Marciano has always seemd like an original to me, but now you have me thinking.

Back to top Go down