The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams scoring and discussion thread

+9
Diego408
hardcorebee24
Norm1023
freakzilla
Soonermark890
gomez1012
powerpuncher
dbudge
captainanddew
13 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams scoring and discussion thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams scoring and discussion thread

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:17 am

Went away five minutes to bathe my son and the fight was over.I should have learned from the Norton-Bobick fight.

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams scoring and discussion thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams scoring and discussion thread

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:20 am

I really hope alot of casual fans caught that knockout.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:22 am

Ali wrote:
Ring wrote:
Ali wrote:woohoo atta boy Martinez Very Happy

Did you get to see the fight Ali?

I missed it because I had to go to a party.

Just saw the knockout on youtube, holly shit that was a sweet shot.

Yup, made all the more devastating because Paul was moving into it, and Sergio put everything in it. I thought it was possible that Sergio could stop Paul, but I figured it would be from an accumulation of punches, not a single shot.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:23 am

Ali wrote:I really hope alot of casual fans caught that knockout.

It was a good shot,but I was surprised the way Williams went face down from it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:24 am

Ring wrote:
Ali wrote:
Ring wrote:

Yup, made all the more devastating because Paul was moving into it, and Sergio put everything in it. I thought it was possible that Sergio could stop Paul, but I figured it would be from an accumulation of punches, not a single shot.

Agreed.Sometimes a soft puncher lands one on the sweet spot.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:28 am

Watching the clip I saw Martinez throw that shot repeatedly, and I remember him throwing the exact same shot in the first fight, Paul never adapted and paid the ultimate price.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:28 am

WinstonSmith wrote:Agreed.Sometimes a soft puncher lands one on the sweet spot.

I think Sergio tonight was the biggest puncher PW has faced. And that punch was shocking. I've seen it a few times now and it still looks vicious every time. Completely shocking and out of nowhere the way PW just crumpled. He had been handling hard clean shots well before that.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:30 am

WinstonSmith wrote:
Ring wrote:
Ali wrote:
Ring wrote:

Agreed.Sometimes a soft puncher lands one on the sweet spot.
Ive disagred for a long time about Martinez being a soft puncher, he packs some heat. Hes hurt and dropped fighter with one punch before (tough ones at). He fights on his toes too much because of his style. The KO came because he was punching with authority.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:32 am

Yup Sergio hit Paul with that shot in the first fight.

Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams scoring and discussion thread - Page 5 Mtxddx

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:21 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:
dbudge wrote:5am.... night

Pussy

lol fuck you man, that's called dedication

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:27 am

i really thought that it would Pavlik that would be the man to expose Paul Williams jaw. i always wondered why a guy that started fighting at 160-154lb was so insistant on going down to and staying at WW when he's physical stature would say he wasn't a Welterweight. The punch Martinez threw was no fluke either. i'm guessing that sequence had been worked on over and over again. Martinez's team knew how wide Williams comes with his punches with his chin so dangerously exposed. Martinez knew exactly where Paul's chin was hanging when he struck. i'm very impressed by Martinez, and to think i thought there were times against Pavlik where he looked on the slide and he goes and pulls that out from nowhere.... LEGEND IN THE MAKING

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:43 am

Even when Martinez beat Pavlik I still felt Kelly would trouble Williams, he's not got the footwork or movement to get out of Pavlik's power range.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:12 am

Ring wrote:
Ali wrote:
Ring wrote:

agreed. I thought he could land enough straight lefts and right hooks that if he were to KO PW it would be later in the fight. But we all doubted two of the best in boxing: Sergio martinez and Cyclops. Cyclops was locked in a dungeon somewhere, chained to the wall, with nothing to do but watch PW tape and decide on a strategy and specific shots to come out with.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:15 am

dbudge wrote:i really thought that it would Pavlik that would be the man to expose Paul Williams jaw. i always wondered why a guy that started fighting at 160-154lb was so insistant on going down to and staying at WW when he's physical stature would say he wasn't a Welterweight. The punch Martinez threw was no fluke either. i'm guessing that sequence had been worked on over and over again. Martinez's team knew how wide Williams comes with his punches with his chin so dangerously exposed. Martinez knew exactly where Paul's chin was hanging when he struck. i'm very impressed by Martinez, and to think i thought there were times against Pavlik where he looked on the slide and he goes and pulls that out from nowhere.... LEGEND IN THE MAKING

there is no doubt that Martinez and Cyclops had worked on how to throw specific shots. The first fight was on short notice and you could see throughout the fight, Cyclops analyzing what was going on and picking the right specific shots (and when to throw them). he would say lead with the left to the head but make it quick and sneaky. Then he would say now that he is protecting for that, give me some lefts to the body. Cyclops is the man. Martinez is the King. Long live the king!
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:17 am

captainanddew wrote:
Ring wrote:
Ali wrote:
Ring wrote:

agreed. I thought he could land enough straight lefts and right hooks that if he were to KO PW it would be later in the fight. But we all doubted two of the best in boxing: Sergio martinez and Cyclops. Cyclops was locked in a dungeon somewhere, chained to the wall, with nothing to do but watch PW tape and decide on a strategy and specific shots to come out with.

LOL

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:23 am

Ali wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
Ring wrote:
Ali wrote:
Ring wrote:

agreed. I thought he could land enough straight lefts and right hooks that if he were to KO PW it would be later in the fight. But we all doubted two of the best in boxing: Sergio martinez and Cyclops. [b]Cyclops was locked in a dungeon somewhere, chained to the wall, with nothing to do but watch PW tape and decide on a strategy and specific shots to come out with.
[/b]
LOL

My wife says I have a rather active imagination.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:27 am

Maybe it's just your S & M desires creeping out Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:32 pm

Dan noticed the same disrespect towards Martinez that I did: " Even on the night of the fight, Martinez was shown massive disrespect. He was the champion yet was put in the blue corner, which was the "opponent" corner throughout the card. And when it came time for the introductions, Martinez was introduced first instead of second, the spot usually reserved for the champion.

But less than six minutes later, Martinez had the last laugh and a ton of leverage in his next fight negotiation. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=5830391

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Canvas wrote:Dan noticed the same disrespect towards Martinez that I did: " Even on the night of the fight, Martinez was shown massive disrespect. He was the champion yet was put in the blue corner, which was the "opponent" corner throughout the card. And when it came time for the introductions, Martinez was introduced first instead of second, the spot usually reserved for the champion.

But less than six minutes later, Martinez had the last laugh and a ton of leverage in his next fight negotiation. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=5830391

everybody saw the disrespect last time out as well. in the first fight one of the judges had 119-110 now if that is not farcical then i don't know what is. Williams demanded the catchweight for Martinez's title, made him fight in the challenger corner, demanded the bigger share of the purse when he can't draw himself...... these are general preferences that Al Haymon managed fighters get and i don't know why. i don't know how this Al Haymon has such control over HBO..... how he got Berto over $1million to fight Frdeey Hernandez is beyond me, that is the same size purse as Martinez received last night so it just goes to show how bad it really is. I'm glad Sergio got the last laugh and i hope that HBO start wising up it. i hope that next year there are a whole lot of changes brought to HBO's broadcasting

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Canvas wrote:Dan noticed the same disrespect towards Martinez that I did: " Even on the night of the fight, Martinez was shown massive disrespect. He was the champion yet was put in the blue corner, which was the "opponent" corner throughout the card. And when it came time for the introductions, Martinez was introduced first instead of second, the spot usually reserved for the champion.

Good observation Canvas, this fight was suppose to be for Martinez's Ring/WBC middleweight title, why the fuck would they introduce Williams like he's the Champion? I believe that needs to be looked into.

It makes me that much happier that Williams got KTFO. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:34 pm

Michael Buffer is out of touch with the sport, he's more interested in banging ring card girls.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5