The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions?

+7
dbudge
Frank
gomez1012
captainanddew
hardcorebee24
Diego408
Gumby
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who wins next November 20th, Sergio Martinez or Paul Williams?

Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions? I_vote_lcap6%Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions? I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions? I_vote_lcap31%Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions? I_vote_rcap 31% 
[ 5 ]
Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions? I_vote_lcap25%Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions? I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 4 ]
Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions? I_vote_lcap38%Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions? I_vote_rcap 38% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions? Empty Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions?

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:16 pm

HBO should show the replay of Pac-Margo before the live main event starts, i'm looking forward to seeing the replay because I missed half this fight watching a crappy stream.

November 20
At Atlantic City, N.J. (HBO): Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams, 12 rounds, rematch, for Martinez's Ring/WBC middleweight title; Tony Thompson vs. Paul Marinaccio, 10 rounds, heavyweights.

This will be another great night of boxing for us fans.. cheers

Who you kats got?

Last edited by Ring on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions? Empty Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions?

Post  Gumby Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Can you make it into a poll?

Sergio by stoppage.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions? Empty Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams next Saturday - predictions?

Post  Diego408 Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Well the last two times Martinez has been weighed for the pre fight weight-ins, hes been a little too heavy. I dont think hes in the best shape he can possibly be in. IDK yet, this is the type of fight you can make a prediction based on the real weigh-in on Friday.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Martinez won't allow it to go into the judges hands this time.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:36 pm

Williams beats him post to post. Martinez comes in lethargic after all the fan fare winning the Middleweight crown. PW is just hungrier and this fight will show it.

I hope im wrong. Any guy cyclops trains I have to root for.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:49 pm

I'm waiting until I can see Martinez with my own eyes to make a pick.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:40 pm

With all things being equal, and figuring that Martinez will be in excellent shape come fight night Saturday, i'll pick him to win to win a close decision. If Williams comes in focused, he's tough fight for anyone he faces, and he's got a good set of whiskers, so I doubt that Martinez will be able to stop him, but Sergio should be able to do enough to win a decision this time.

BTW, win, lose or draw, you've gotta love "Maravilla" Martinez, this charismatic native Argentinian is good for boxing, he's entertaining, and he comes to fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:45 pm

Ring wrote:With all things being equal, and figuring that Martinez will be in excellent shape come fight night Saturday, i'll pick him to win to win a close decision. If Williams comes in focused, he's tough fight for anyone he faces, and he's got a good set of whiskers, so I doubt that Martinez will be able to stop him, but Sergio should be able to do enough to win a decision this time.

BTW, win, lose or draw, you've gotta love "Maravilla" Martinez, this charismatic native Argentinian is good for boxing, he's entertaining, and he comes to fight.

he did enough to win a decision on my card the last time.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:01 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Ring wrote:With all things being equal, and figuring that Martinez will be in excellent shape come fight night Saturday, i'll pick him to win to win a close decision. If Williams comes in focused, he's tough fight for anyone he faces, and he's got a good set of whiskers, so I doubt that Martinez will be able to stop him, but Sergio should be able to do enough to win a decision this time.

Yeah, I thought Martinez won too, unfortunately the 3 judges scoring the fight didn't agree with us. One judge (Pierre Benoist) actually had Williams winning by a score of 119-110, what fucking fight was he watching? Let's hope, this time, the judges get their heads out of their asses and score the fight correctly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Diego408 wrote:Well the last two times Martinez has been weighed for the pre fight weight-ins, hes been a little too heavy. I dont think hes in the best shape he can possibly be in. IDK yet, this is the type of fight you can make a prediction based on the real weigh-in on Friday.

Diego you fucking whippersnapper, that signature dissn' Freddie is very offensive. Twisted Evil

Just kidding man, i've got to admit, even though it was a bit low-life, it was pretty funny on Margo and Rios' part, and besides, Roach got the last laugh. cheers

Last edited by Ring on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:11 pm

Ring wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

Yeah, I thought Martinez won too, unfortunately the 3 judges scoring the fight didn't agree with us. One judge (Pierre Benoist) actually had Williams winning by a score of 119-110, what fucking fight was he watching? Let's hope, this time, the judges get their heads out of their asses and score the fight correctly.

I get sick of scorecards that are outside the realm of reality.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:13 pm

Martinez wins.....again.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:17 pm

I think Martinez settles in nicely to the higher weight

160 in the first fight
160 vs Pavlik
157/158 vs Williams in the rematch

Think we'll see a stronger Sergio and he stop Paul who he wont have a hard time finding
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:13 pm

gomez1012 wrote:I think Martinez settles in nicely to the higher weight

160 in the first fight
160 vs Pavlik
157/158 vs Williams in the rematch

Think we'll see a stronger Sergio and he stop Paul who he wont have a hard time finding

I hope you're right Gomez, nothing would please me more then seeing P-Willie get flattened.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Sergio by close, hard fought decision. Good fight.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:22 pm

williams decision

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:32 pm

Frank wrote:Sergio by close, hard fought decision. Good fight.

That's my prediction too Frank, = Sergio by a close decision, as much as i'd like to see it, I don't believe Martinez will KO Williams, Sergio hit him with some huge shots in their first fight and he just kept coming.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:40 pm

So, according to our Poll, so far, 38% believe Williams will win by decision Saturday night, and 60% believe that Martinez will win either by a decision or by KO/TKO, interesting.

I'd love to see Martinez win, but I suspect this will be another close fight that could go either way. What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:03 pm

Sigh.....I have to go with Williams by dec. in this one. He's shown he can learn from his mistakes. I like Sergio though but don't think he can win.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:24 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Sigh.....I have to go with Williams by dec. in this one. He's shown he can learn from his mistakes. I like Sergio though but don't think he can win.

Good point Panther, like when Williams lost his WBO welterweight title to Carlos Quintana by a UD, and then came back in the rematch 4 months later to crush Quintana by 1st round KO.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:29 pm

Ring wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:Sigh.....I have to go with Williams by dec. in this one. He's shown he can learn from his mistakes. I like Sergio though but don't think he can win.

Good point Panther, like when Williams lost his WBO welterweight title to Carlos Quintana by a UD, and then came back in the rematch 4 months later to crush Quintana by 1st round KO.

I disagree. I'm not saying that was a fluke win, but Williams didn't show that he adjusted or anything...he just came out very aggressive and completely overwhelmed Quintana before he knew what was going on.

His first fight with Sergio showed he didn't correct most of the mistakes he made in the 1st Quintana fight.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Williams will take it, but don't be surprised if Martinez gets better cards than he should have. Sometimes that shit happens when one guy gets a bad card(s), and people feel as if they want to "make up" for it. Like Johnson-Dawson.

Sergio has everything to lose at this point, he is at the top. I expect a more conservative game from Martinez (less trading), but still picking Williams to outwork and ultimately edge Martinez by decision.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:32 pm

Gumby wrote:
Ring wrote:

I disagree. I'm not saying that was a fluke win, but Williams didn't show that he adjusted or anything...he just came out very aggressive and completely overwhelmed Quintana before he knew what was going on.
His first fight with Sergio showed he didn't correct most of the mistakes he made in the 1st Quintana fight.

Isn't that a HUGE adjustment? Instead of boxing a boxer you steamroll him?

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:32 pm

this fight is only 3 days away! I'm excited! And a week after that, JMM-Katsidis. Not to mention super six fights.

This better make up for the godawful summer/fall.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:52 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:Isn't that a HUGE adjustment? Instead of boxing a boxer you steamroll him?

Umm...yeah.

I don't think a similar adjustment will work against Sergio though. The same way that young fighters don't learn fighting cans, PW didn't have to face adversity and confront his mistakes because it came so easy. So the flaws are still there, he just was able to mask them. My prediction is that Sergio takes off that mask.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum