The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Paul Williams vs Lara fight is the reason boxing is failing

+12
dbudge
Gumby
Diego408
Tobe
kbyte
GrantZilla
ScottLevinson
captainanddew
hardcorebee24
Shaun
NJBeatdown86
Soonermark890
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Paul Williams vs Lara fight is the reason boxing is failing - Page 2 Empty Re: The Paul Williams vs Lara fight is the reason boxing is failing

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:13 am

Williams hasn't won a fair fight since 2009 against an old Winky Wright.

Back to top Go down

The Paul Williams vs Lara fight is the reason boxing is failing - Page 2 Empty Re: The Paul Williams vs Lara fight is the reason boxing is failing

Post  kbyte Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:16 am

I had it 10-2 for Lara. I don't think I could see it any closer than 8-4 and thats pushing it. I think this might be the worst robbery I've seen since I started watching boxing.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:12 am

fat dan had it 8-4 for Lara. That is about as close as I've seen everywhere.
Fightnews.com had an immediate poll saying who won the fight because of how heinous the result was.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:16 am

big thing is PW will look worse in the next fight after all the shots he took in this one. Cheato tagged him a bit. Quintana landed alot of straight lefts in the first fight. Then Martinez landed alot of shots in their first fight. Cintron landed some bombs in their abbreviated fight. Martinez knocked his ass out. Now Lara hit him repeatedly with straight left hands.

PW has been hit a ton and he didn't look good in there. If they go to a Martinez fight(assuming martinez doesn't all of a sudden look old in his fall fight in the interim), I am laying down as much money as I can dig up on the one and only Sergio Gabriel Martinez.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:03 am

I don't get Fat Dan anymore. I used to nearly always see the same fight as him. Now his scores are all over.

He had Hopkins beating Calzaghe (I'll never get that)
Had Alexander beating Mathysse
Had Berto beating Ortiz
Screamed Macklin/ Sturm was a massive robbery (I had it very close with Sturm winning, don't understand the robbery there)

He hardly says anything about the corrupt judges last night, other than he had Lara winning.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:49 am

Complete joke. Makes me want to stop watching boxing. That fight was not close - Roy Jones was scared for William's life in there; yet he "won" that fight?!

Say it with me - BULLSHIT! Evil or Very Mad
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:42 pm

Tobe wrote:Complete joke. Makes me want to stop watching boxing. That fight was not close - Roy Jones was scared for William's life in there; yet he "won" that fight?!

Say it with me - BULLSHIT! Evil or Very Mad
BULLSHIT
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:52 pm

A casual fan sees that and switches to MMA instead.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:42 pm

I forgot who said it (either fat dan or bird) but they were saying the way these new judges get jobs to and keep getting them is too please the promoter. The judges get paid by the promoter and if they want to keep getting jobs to do these fights, its like they have to be biased for the promoters fighter(in this case its Williams). If you look at these Robberies, they are all done by new faces of judges, people you dont ever hear about. I think its the reason why The HBO crew brought it up. Kellerman asked why they didnt have experiecnces judges working the fight, well the answer is easy, this fight was bought for Willaims to win. They used these judges to let Williams win it. That judge that had Willaims winning 11 rounds against martinez was also an unexperienced judge also.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:44 pm

That was a real robbery. Even Roy was shaken up by it and he's always pro-US. Disgraceful to the sport. The judging system needs to be massively overhauled.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Gumby wrote:That was a real robbery. Even Roy was shaken up by it and he's always pro-US. Disgraceful to the sport. The judging system needs to be massively overhauled.

And Roy is a pretty big PW fan in my opinion(you could tell from the beginning he likes Paul).

As the fight went on he was honest in saying this kind of beating would take years off of PW's life (or something like that).

Boxingscene scored it 117-111. Lederman scored it the same. ESPN had it 116-112. Kellerman said last night that press row had it from 8-4 Lara to 10-2 Lara (which fits the scores seen above as well).

I missed the first 3 rounds but I had Lara winning 6 of the final 9 rounds when scoring last night.

I watched the first 3 rounds of the fight(this morning) and Lara won all 3 of those rounds.

It is unfathomable to me how PW got a draw on a scorecard, much less a win. PW clearly lost the first 3 rounds. No way he won 6 of the final 9 rounds to get a draw. No fucking way. Much less winning on 2 cards!!!!

This was a robbery.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:53 pm

It's getting to the point where they should just go back to the No Decision days. They that because judging was corrupt and incompetant, like it is now.

Records for the winners should be based off of a media consensus.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:34 am

Aaron Davis, commissioner of the New Jersey Athletic Control Board, said in a phone interview Sunday that he had been bombarded with texts and voice mails from disgruntled and angry fans.

Davis said he intended to speak with Bennett, Givens and Whitaker today at the Control Board offices in Trenton but had no plans to declare the fight a no-contest or to discipline the judges.

"I'm not saying the judges did a great job, but for me to overrule their decision I would have to find that there was some sort of criminal intent or people were totally incompetent and I certainly don't think that was the case here," said Davis, who watched the fight at ringside and also viewed a TV replay Sunday morning.

"People are always looking for controversy in boxing. But it's such a subjective sport that people aren't always going to agree on the outcomes of fights.

"I personally thought a draw would have been a good score for the fight."

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/williams-decision-generating-debate/article_12d91a52-0275-5cf4-b84d-d83951d95cd8.html
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 am

this is international boxing, it happens all the time throughout the World. not one country is better than any other when it comes to these decisions. HBO have had a couple of bad ones lately where the home country fighter has got the fortunate end of the decision. scoring is subjective but when you throw twice as many punches as your opponent but land less than they did you do not win a boxing contest. the judges are incompotent in this case. truly shocking, why is it to me Dan Goosen seems like one of the biggest snake boxing promoters. i'm sure Haymon and Goosen's involvement had the most to do with Williams' gift. as for Williams, Martinez fucked him pretty bad. the blueprint is there to beat Williams and has been for a while now. when he fights a puncher he is going to get KTFO.

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Every viable complaint has been made about the horrible decision that was rendered by the judges who scored the "Williams vs. Lara" fight. I agree with every post which pointed out that the decision was fixed and a disgrace to professional boxing.

Unfortunately, I've seen decisions this horrendous on many occasions. Heaveyweight Jimmy Young's career was defined by them. Anthony Hembrick outclassed Leonza Barber for 10 rounds only to come up short on USA Tuesday Night Fights (still my fav cable boxing show.). What happens in most cases is the following. The loser of the decision decides that all the pain staking work involved in getting ready for the fight was worthless. Boxing is the most physically demanding sport in terms of physical prep. Nobody wants to go through all that for nothing.

My advice is to write letter after letter to HBO. Believe me, they read them. Let Lara know that you know what happened. That he didn't work week after week, getting up at 5 am to run 10 miles, then do thousands of sit-ups and spar hundreds of rounds for no reason. Let him know you saw what happened. It might make a difference. I'm a fan of Glen Johnson. I can say that, though I have Glen winning a lot decisions that went the opposite way, the fights were close. What happened Sat. night was a travesty.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:24 pm

Paul got $1,000,000, Lara got $135,000. I wonder how much of Williams' purse goes to Al Haymon.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:51 pm

fightnews has the scorecards up. One judge changed his scorecard for round 2. Other 2 judges both scored 2 pretty darn clear Lara rounds for PW. go and look at that shit.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:52 pm

I think we all know what is going on there

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Canvas wrote: I think we all know what is going on there

the judge who changed round 2 also had 2 10-10 rounds during the fight. After 3 rounds he had it 29-29. No one in their right mind would have that scorecard after 3 rounds.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:54 pm

@danrafaelespn 1 of many things wrong with boxing: Williams makes over $1 million, can't draw even 3,000 people. HBO $ and gate massively out of proportion.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:55 pm

I wonder if those judges will make any sudden large purchases? new car...new boat..jewelry for wife etc

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Ali wrote:
@danrafaelespn 1 of many things wrong with boxing: Williams makes over $1 million, can't draw even 3,000 people. HBO $ and gate massively out of proportion.

The same purse as the middleweight champ made against sergei D. Now tell me this isn't a corrupt sport.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Canvas wrote:
Ali wrote:

The same purse as the middleweight champ made against sergei D. Now tell me this isn't a corrupt sport.

Wow, Fat Dan bad mouthing HBO. Shocking, since he's a HBO/GB homer.

UPDATE: Williams ass drops from # 3 at Middle to # 8 off a "win." So there is some justice.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:32 am

while it was a bad ruling, i would not go so far as to say that williams-lara robbery is why boxing is failing. boxing lives and dies by the ppvs and megafights, not the small shop 2000 person venue scraps for meaningless straps. Boxing is not like other sports, there are 1000s of profesional fighters vs say 30 pro teams in other sports. Too many different contenders to follow, the casual fans will always only pay attention to the biggest and best fighters. 99% of the people on the street have never heard of paul williams, and about half of the ones who have only have because they saw him get KTFOd on a highlight reel courtesy of maravilla. while it was a terrible judgement, it was not a fix job or anything of that nature, it was simply that, a bad ruling. hopefully paul will give lara a rematch in a neutral site and they can both put the controversy behind them.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:38 am

IDK....I just watched this fight again and for any judge to give this fight to PW is just not understandable. This is definitely a black eye for boxing.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next