The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Paul Williams vs Lara fight is the reason boxing is failing

+12
dbudge
Gumby
Diego408
Tobe
kbyte
GrantZilla
ScottLevinson
captainanddew
hardcorebee24
Shaun
NJBeatdown86
Soonermark890
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Paul Williams vs Lara fight is the reason boxing is failing Empty The Paul Williams vs Lara fight is the reason boxing is failing

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:14 am

That decision was the worst I have ever seen. The fight was obviously fixed and this is the reason boxing fans are not watching the sport as much. Lara fights his heart out and beats PW up in almost every round and gets a loss. What bullshit. Everyone involved in this fight should be investigated and every boxing writer in the country better be writing about it right now. WHAT A FUCKING JOKE!!!!
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Paul Williams vs Lara fight is the reason boxing is failing Empty Re: The Paul Williams vs Lara fight is the reason boxing is failing

Post  NJBeatdown86 Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:18 am

I'm so mad i'm shaking.

On the plus side, this bumps me to 2-1 on GOR tonight.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

The Paul Williams vs Lara fight is the reason boxing is failing Empty Re: The Paul Williams vs Lara fight is the reason boxing is failing

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:21 am

NJBeatdown86 wrote:I'm so mad i'm shaking.

On the plus side, this bumps me to 2-1 on GOR tonight.
Its just sad. Greed is ruining this sport nothing else. We can talk about all these reasons but it comes down to just plain and simple greed.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:24 am

What are the chances of a fight like this getting switched to a no decision?
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:26 am

Shaun wrote:What are the chances of a fight like this getting switched to a no decision?

It would have had to be in Cuba for that to happen.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:26 am

Shaun wrote:What are the chances of a fight like this getting switched to a no decision?
slim to none

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:28 am

I missed first 3 rounds. Lederman scored them 3-0 for Lara. Rafael scored those rounds 3-0 for Lara as well.

I watched rounds 4-12. I scored those 9 rounds 6-3 for Lara.

Max went by press row and asked how those guys scored it. He said on telecast anywhere from 8-4 to 10-2 for Lara.

Then Max had to point out the bullshit PW vs Martinez I scorecard, where a judge had PW winning 11 rounds. And that was a fight that was basically even (I had Martinez up but a decent amt had PW winning). But 1 judge got paid or was so in love with PW that he gave him 11 rounds.

Now this. Such bullshit.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:28 am

Canvas wrote:
slim to none

or as I like to say, slim to none, and slim just walked out the door.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:30 am

That was the definition of a robbery. Glen Johnson take note.

Last edited by hardcorebee24 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:30 am

I know there is absolutely no proof to back any of this up but:

Fuck Al Haymon, crooked piece of shit

Fuck HBO

Fuck Al's fighters

I know i'm overreacting here, but shit like this just kills the interest from casual fans. Thank god it was Williams-Lara and only us hardcore fans were watching. Okay i'm done yelling and cursing. Smile
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:31 am

NJBeatdown86 wrote:I know there is absolutely no proof to back any of this up but:

Fuck Al Haymon, crooked piece of shit

Fuck HBO

Fuck Al's fighters

I know i'm overreacting here, but shit like this just kills the interest from casual fans. Thank god it was Williams-Lara and only us hardcore fans were watching. Okay i'm done yelling and cursing. Smile

No no please continue.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:31 am

go to fightnews.com. It is a website that is constantly putting up news and I like the site.

It has a poll up immediately regarding the decision in that fight. Go vote in it.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:34 am

That was pretty rough. Sort of surreal bordering on the macabre.

Lara has seen enough tough breaks to last a lifetime. Poor guy.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:38 am

ScottLevinson wrote:That was pretty rough. Sort of surreal bordering on the macabre.

Lara has seen enough tough breaks to last a lifetime. Poor guy.

If they make Martinez vs PW, PW is getting absolutely stretched again (or even worse he takes a hellacious beating for a while then gets stretched). As I pointed out during the fight (before HBO did); PW is a sucker for the straight left (especially when you lead with it). Quintana won their first fight by landing the straight left lead. Martinez should have won their first fight, and stretched his ass in the rematch. Now, Lara lands the straight left to what should have been a comfortable 8-4 to 10-2 type decision on all 3 cards.

And PW's trainer said something dumb like you have to not let him you with the left hand.

How do you do that dummy??? I'd have PW fight taller, stay behind the jab, keep his right hand up, etc... But you just say PW was letting people hit him with that shot. Dumb SOB for a trainer.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:40 am

The first Martinez fight.

The second Martinez fight, Williams gets introduced last and put in the champions corner. Gets the high end of the split.

now this.

Williams will be back in another HBO showcase for an absurdly high purse.

Meanwhile Sergio Martinez has to beg for a TV date and a million dollar payday, after doing everything HBO has asked.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:43 am

Canvas wrote:The first Martinez fight.

The second Martinez fight, Williams gets introduced last and put in the champions corner. Gets the high end of the split.

now this.

Meanwhile Sergio Martinez has to beg for a TV date and a million dollar payday, after doing everything HBO has asked.

I'd guess that the situation makes HBO's announcing crew absolutely sick. But Haymon gets what he wants and HBO bends over for him every time. Unfucking believable. How the fuck did he get that decision.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:44 am

In a little more than half a year, Pw has gone from the second coming to a guy who looks to be on his way out. Strange career. Not sure after Quintana why they'd want to line up one slick leftie after the next, but that's on them.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:47 am

I'm trying to think of decisions worse than this in fights I saw.

Lennox-Holy I maybe, but Lennox fought like a puss so the outrage eventually settled.

Maybe Ramirez-Whitaker? That's a long time ago.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:52 am

ScottLevinson wrote:In a little more than half a year, Pw has gone from the second coming to a guy who looks to be on his way out. Strange career. Not sure after Quintana why they'd want to line up one slick leftie after the next, but that's on them.

. While PW is a sucker for a straight left, he gets tagged by right handers as well. Cheato, Quintana, Martinez, Cintron, and Lara all tagged him with some big shots. He needed a new trainer a long time ago. He could have been taught how to fight taller, keep his hands up, jab more, etc...

They thought his eat punches and outwork guys strategy would work against top competition. I think he is proving that it doesn't work long term. It is a short-term strategy. When you get to the top levels of the sport, you need to be able to use traditional boxing skills. If you don't and eat punches with your face, then your prime is going to be short, and after years of doing so, your chin will get dented.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:53 am

captainanddew wrote:
Canvas wrote:The first Martinez fight.

now this.

I'd guess that the situation makes HBO's announcing crew absolutely sick. But Haymon gets what he wants and HBO bends over for him every time. Unfucking believable. How the fuck did he get that decision.

I know i'm not the first to say it but:

Haymon's
Boxing
Only

Last edited by NJBeatdown86 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:53 am

ScottLevinson wrote:I'm trying to think of decisions worse than this in fights I saw.

Lennox-Holy I maybe, but Lennox fought like a puss so the outrage eventually settled.

don't mention any Whitaker robberies. As a guy from Virginia, I don't want to relive those robberies tonight after the travesty we've all seen.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:57 am

On the plus side, my grandpa's buddy, a Cuban guy whose a big fan of boxing and has been in the hospital lately, will get a kick out of how the damn Yanquis have to rig the fights to prevent the Cubanos from winning.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottLevinson Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:59 am

captainanddew wrote:
ScottLevinson wrote:I'm trying to think of decisions worse than this in fights I saw.

don't mention any Whitaker robberies. As a guy from Virginia, I don't want to relive those robberies tonight after the travesty we've all seen.

I want to forget it too.

ScottLevinson

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:18 am

ScottLevinson wrote:In a little more than half a year, Pw has gone from the second coming to a guy who looks to be on his way out. Strange career. Not sure after Quintana why they'd want to line up one slick leftie after the next, but that's on them.

They're delusional, or they know something we don't. I found it very cryptic and foretelling that during the Max Kellerman interview George Peterson, when pressed about Williams lack of defense, obvious poor showing and possible retirement, remarked that the fight wasn't over yet and he would make a decision or comment after the fight. That interview was in the 10th round I believe. Most trainers would have said that Williams needs a knockout or any other cliche that trainers say when their fighters are losing or taking too much punishment. Williams, by most accounts, was taking too much punishment, losing the fight and had alluded to retiring in the not so distant future. Peterson's comments point to either their delusion about the skills of the man he's training or that this one is in the pocket and Uncle Al has assured him that if "The Punisher" can last the full 12 he'll get the win.

PS Peterson is the same guy that said Sergio Martinez landed a lucky punch on Williams in November.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:38 am

Everyone of the judges should be brought in front of a state panel, and forced to explain themselves. Their emails, ect should be made public.

Total bullshit

Why I hate Greenburg/Hayman run HBO Sports. The fact that Williams after getting dealt with the way he did and being in-active for over six months get's to headline a HBO fight is all you need to know.

Williams should be 0-4 in his last 4 fights
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next