The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ray Robinson vs. Marvin Hagler

2 posters

Go down

Ray Robinson vs. Marvin Hagler Empty Ray Robinson vs. Marvin Hagler

Post  Frank Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:16 am

I won't write much about this one. I want the opinions of the board.

I'll say this. Hagler was as great as his biggest supporters claim he was. However, his movements were predictable. If you watch enough films, you can predict which punch he'll throw and when he'll throw it. The original "Sugar Ray" was the antithesis of that description. That's the way I see it.

I honestly can't think of a way Hagler could've bested Robinson, but I'm all ears for this one.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Ray Robinson vs. Marvin Hagler Empty Re: Ray Robinson vs. Marvin Hagler

Post  Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:51 am

frank i wont say much except im in agreement with you.robinson was a combination of the best from ray leanord and tommy hearns and then some.he wasnt perdictable for sure.he could stick and move.hit extremly hard with either hand.perhaps the greatest 3 -4 -5 punch combination fighter ever.he could fight on the inside as effectively as the long range arena also.fastastic hand speed with power.i wish i could remember the fight but robby in his prime hit a guy and on his way falling down backwords hit him with a 5 punch combo with awsome speed power and accratecy before the guy hit the floor..that by far was the most awsome display of punching and finishing a guy i ever saw ...
his ring intelligence and generalship knew no supierior...carmen basilio told me more then once and he hated robinson but said when god gave out guts robinson was first in line.

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:02 pm

I think SRR is the greatest fighter to ever walk the planet. I think Hagler was the greatest middle to ever walk the planet. Put em together 100 times and you probably have a 50-50 split. The difference to me is Haglers size and strength and the fact the Robinson at middle was NOTHING like Robinson at welter. Hagler was physically big and strong, but in his PRIME (not the guy that fought Hearns, Leonard, and Mugabi) was also very fast and very slick. I think he probably beat Ray for the same reason Maxim did. Too big, too strong, too durable.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:41 am

It's really hard to say, Robinson was hell when he was well, but so was Hagler.

Robinson's best years were at Welterweight, but he was no slouch at Middleweight. Just for the sake of argument, i'll give the nod to Robinson over Hagler, because his speed, superior boxing skills, and vast ring experience would give him the edge.

A little trivia: When Jake LaMotta handed Robinson his first loss, it was in 1943, as a welterweight, 67 fucking years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down