The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy Fights: Marvin Hagler vs Jake LaMotta who wins ?

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fantasy Fights: Marvin Hagler vs Jake LaMotta who wins ? Empty Fantasy Fights: Marvin Hagler vs Jake LaMotta who wins ?

Post  Guest Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:28 pm

Middleweight contest with fifteen rounds, who wins ?

Marvin Hagler

62-3-2(52)
5'9 with a 75" reach
Southpaw

Hagler was THE middleweight champion for eight years, he defended the crown thirteen times.

Marvin beat the likes of John Mugabi, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran and Vito Antuofermo

vs

Jake LaMotta
83-19-4(30)
5'8 with a 67" reach
orthodox

Former Middleweight champion who gave Sugar Ray Robinson his first loss.

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Fights: Marvin Hagler vs Jake LaMotta who wins ? Empty Re: Fantasy Fights: Marvin Hagler vs Jake LaMotta who wins ?

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:08 am

A prime Hagler would have taken a comfortable UD.

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Fights: Marvin Hagler vs Jake LaMotta who wins ? Empty Re: Fantasy Fights: Marvin Hagler vs Jake LaMotta who wins ?

Post  Frank Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:57 am

Good fight. This is difficult for me to call. Hagler was intimidated by Roberto Duran. LaMotta was a natural Middleweight who was probably a lot stronger than Duran at that weight. If Jake could back Marvin up consistently, he would've had an excellent chance of taking a close decision. I think this one goes the distance.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14 am

Frank wrote:Good fight. This is difficult for me to call. Hagler was intimidated by Roberto Duran. LaMotta was a natural Middleweight who was probably a lot stronger than Duran at that weight. If Jake could back Marvin up consistently, he would've had an excellent chance of taking a close decision. I think this one goes the distance.
...it goes the distance no doubt.hagler has more talent indeed .jake has more grit.haglers the better fighter but not by a wide descion.a close win probably for marvin...again a fantasy fight.lol i hate them.frank yes jake can and in all likely hood back marvin up most of the fight..if a past his peak duran did and a mediocre vito a in the first fight did then jake surely would.a close fight..edge marvin..

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:43 am

I have a Marvin in a close decision. Marvin was the better boxer but Jake had the will to survive. Both men are natural 160 lbers. I feel that Jake's hands don't hold up against Marvin's granite forehead hindering his ability to score points. Marvin takes this one and pulls away in the last three rounds of a scheduled 15 rounder.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:23 pm

To see how this one would play out,watch the first Hagler-Hamsho fight.Hamsho's style was similar to LaMotta's,and Marvin boxed his ears off en route to a lopsided stoppage.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:33 pm

theres a big differnce in abilty between jake and hamsho or jake and vito a who gave hagler fits in there first fight which was a draw.theres no way hagler stops jake.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:36 pm

dmar5143 wrote:theres a big differnce in abilty between jake and hamsho or jake and vito a who gave hagler fits in there first fight which was a draw.theres no way hagler stops jake.

Not a prime one anyway.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:41 pm

dmar5143 wrote:theres a big differnce in abilty between jake and hamsho or jake and vito a who gave hagler fits in there first fight which was a draw.theres no way hagler stops jake.

I picked Hagler by UD in my initial post.Both LaMotta and Hamsho were face first fighters with little power.LaMotta was the better of the two,but not by much IMO.

In regards to the first Antuofermo fight,most people had Marvin winning by three points.No way was that fight a draw.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:55 pm

In my humble opinion Hagler demolishes LaMotta inside of 10 rounds. Hagler would be too big, too strong, too powerful, and not even Jake's iron chin could hold up against Marvelous Marvin's relentless onslaught.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:20 pm

hmm jakes only slightly better then hamsho.interesting.just about every boxing expert of note ranks jake in the top ten middles of all time.the other guys not even a footnote in the division..ring with all due respect how is hagler to big for jake.stronger.i doubt that very much.demolishes him.jake will fight back effectively.marvin will win a hard fought descion.maybe A UD but a close one.this is no walk in the park.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:29 pm

Perhaps I'm giving Hamsho too much credit,but he did beat some decent fighters in his day.Marvin had stated,if he hadn't been around,Mustafa would have been the champ.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:52 pm

dmar5143 wrote:hmm jakes only slightly better then hamsho.interesting.just about every boxing expert of note ranks jake in the top ten middles of all time.the other guys not even a footnote in the division..ring with all due respect how is hagler to big for jake.stronger.i doubt that very much.demolishes him.jake will fight back effectively.marvin will win a hard fought descion.maybe A UD but a close one.this is no walk in the park.

With all due respect dmar, how the fuck would LaMotta keep Hagler off of him? In 106 fights LaMotta had like 30 KO's, the more powerful Hagler would walk right through him. In re: Jake's top 10 all time middleweight ranking, I don't agree with it, Jake was more of a journeyman/gatekeeper during his career then a champion or an alltime great. Granted, he was in a lot of fights but he lost 19 of them, 4 times to Robinson. I'm not trying to argue with you dmar, I just don't see Jake going more then 10 rounds with prime Hagler.

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:43 pm

Hagler has the highest ko% of any middleweight champion. (81%) Lamotta has the lowest (23%)
Both guys are known for thier iron chins. Lamotta was dropped and stopped. Hagler never went down. To get Hagler off his feet you need 3things. 1. a blindfold (for Marvin), 2. Mike Tyson, and 3. a baseball bat (for Tyson). You probably also need at least three rounds.

Hagler was nervous for the Duran fight and gave Roberto too much respect. He was not nervous about Duran, he was nervous about losing everything he had worked so hard for at just the moment he was about to break through. He accelerated down the stretch and left Duran in his dust. After that fight, Hagler learned a lesson and went on a tear through the division. He never again showed that kind of tentative approach.

How this fight breaks down depends ONLY on Hagler. Lamotta has nothing to come at Marvin with and not one single advantage anywhere or in any category. Simply put, Marvin has MORE of everything and is better in EVERY single facet of the game.

Pre-Duran Hagler probably wins a wide UD over Lamotta (146-140 type fight) Post-Duran Hagler take LaMotta out by TKO in around 13-14 rounds.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:40 pm

I believe the only real question here is not if Hagler wins, but if he stops LaMotta. And I believe the Hagler who destroyed, Hamsho, John Mugabi and Hearns would crush, the much slower, feather fisted Lamotta.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:41 pm

well guys lets get the facts straight for
once.hagler was decked once by rodan.i saw that fight.yes jake was down twice in his career .both times when he was washed up and moved up to light heavy.hagler as a middleweight did not have the highest ko percentage as a middleweight champ.he had 77 perecent not 81 percent.ketchel AS a middleweight had a higher ko percentage.his career said 75 percent but he fought jack johnson for the HW title and stanley balloned up to 170 and fought sam langford and lost a descion.both thoses fights were not at middleweight.take thoses away and stanley actualy had the highest ko percentage fighting as a middleweight.jake had a 28 percent ko percentage not 23..by the way jake actualy fought some guys that hit harder then hagler..yeah robinson hit harder so did bob saterfield and joey dejohn.
both were great middles.ring your the only person i ever heared that said jake was just a journeyman.in all honesty thats so far off the mark that i doubt any noted boxing historian would agree with that...jake hit hard enough to keep you more then honest..the question isnt how can jake keep marvin of him but how is marvin going to keep jake off him.jake was considered one of the strongest if not the strongest middle ever...
why would a post duran hagler be greater then a pre duran hagler..i feel marvin was equaly great threwout his championship years.
sometimes not always a ko percentage doesnt mean a guy can hit or cannot hit..basilio did not have a high ko percentage but he could punch realy punch.billy foxx lamar clark and even cleve williams had big ko percetages.who did they knock out.
there are plenty of times you dont measure a fighter by losses.robinson had 19 floyd has zero for example.how many losses did sam langford have.what was his ko percentage.sam could punch big time.
im not saying marvin wasnt the greater fighter nor would lose to jake..that im in agreement with marvin was better and would of won.he would of not mopped the floor with jake as you guys are saying.jake was tough realy tough and tougher then any guy hagler ever fought.and stronger then any guy hagler ever fought.a very very determined fighter that would of stayed the course..

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:45 pm

the guy from the generation before always wins!!!!!!!!! i thought we knew how this one worked Very Happy

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:53 pm

dbudge wrote:the guy from the generation before always wins!!!!!!!!! i thought we knew how this one worked Very Happy
...wrong..i said hagler wins..by the way another fact.jake did not have the lowest ko percentage of middleweight champs.vince dundee george chip and others had lower ones.lets get facts right if your going to quote them.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:57 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
dbudge wrote:the guy from the generation before always wins!!!!!!!!! i thought we knew how this one worked Very Happy
...wrong..i said hagler wins..by the way another fact.jake did not have the lowest ko percentage of middleweight champs.vince dundee george chip and others had lower ones.lets get facts right if your going to quote them.

lol i didn't quote anything, i was joking man. i try to avoid comparison debates between men that were fighting before i was born

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:59 pm

LaMotta was out-boxed by a blown up welterweight in Fritzie Zivic.Zivic(one of the dirtiest fighters in history),was not known for being a "boxer."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:16 pm

yep your right.and willie monroe beat hagler with ease and 2 months latter monroe was koed in four by a stiff called lowe.yet a few months later it took hagler 12 rounds to stop monroe while a stiff koed willie in 4.whats that prove.nothing thats what.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:49 pm

dmar5143 wrote:yep your right.and willie monroe beat hagler with ease and 2 months latter monroe was koed in four by a stiff called lowe.yet a few months later it took hagler 12 rounds to stop monroe while a stiff koed willie in 4.whats that prove.nothing thats what.

Monroe was known for his boxing skills,Zivic was not.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:56 pm

We're talking primes here.It's possible LaMotta was not near his peak against Zivic,but Hagler was clearly nowhere near his when he fought Monroe.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Wasn't LaMotta's KO% low because of his extremely fragile hands ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:10 pm

im not saying marvin wasnt the greater fighter nor would lose to jake..that im in agreement with marvin was better and would of won.he would of not mopped the floor with jake as you guys are saying.jake was tough realy tough and tougher then any guy hagler ever fought.and stronger then any guy hagler ever fought.a very very determined fighter that would of stayed the course..

dmar, I don't think anyone is saying Hagler would "mop the floor" with Jake, but I do think Hagler would stop him inside 10 rounds, that's just me.

Why don't you just admit that the main reason you like Jake so much is because he's a fellow Italiano..you two got that Casa Nostra thing going on. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next