The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hagler vs. Spinks

5 posters

Go down

Hagler vs. Spinks Empty Hagler vs. Spinks

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Michael Spinks claimed at one time that Marvelous did not have the nerve to move up to challenge him at 175.Spinks should have come down to 168 and met him half way.

At 5'9' Marvin would not have packed on 175 easily and would have sacrificed some speed as well.As great a fighter Hagler was,I think he would have had little chance of beating Spinks at 175.
Why move up when you have big money fights out there from the likes of Hearns,Duran and Leonard?Spinks and Qawi both wanted Hagler because there were few big money fights at 175 at the time.

Last edited by WinstonSmith on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Hagler vs. Spinks Empty Re: Hagler vs. Spinks

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Spinks is way too big for even Hagler, he was right to stay at Middleweight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:40 pm

Ali wrote:Spinks is way too big for even Hagler, he was right to stay at Middleweight.

Agreed.Spinks or Braxton(Qawi) would have been all wrong for Marvin.Can't see Marvin able to keep the Camden Buzzsaw off him for twelve or fifteen rounds.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:42 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:
Ali wrote:Spinks is way too big for even Hagler, he was right to stay at Middleweight.

Agreed.Spinks or Braxton(Qawi) would have been all wrong for Marvin.Can't see Marvin able to keep the Camden Buzzsaw off him for twelve or fifteen rounds.

+1

Reminds me of Terry Norris always calling out Chavez and saying he was scared of him
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:51 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:

Would a Qawi fight really be too much for Hagler, wasn't Dwight about 5'5 ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:00 pm

Ali wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:

At 175 it probably would have been.That's why a catch weight fight at 168 would have been more feasible.Because of his size, I believe it would have been easier for Qawi to make that weight than it would have been for Spinks.They listed Dwight at 5'7",but those who have met him say that was a bit generous.

On a side note,they list Hearns at 6'2".I met him after his fight with Randy Shields and I was eye to eye with him,and I'm exactly 6'0".

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:03 pm

My bad.Boxrec lists Qawi at 5'5 1/2".You were right Ali.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:06 pm

I am sure Hearn's afro added an extra two inches back in the day Laughing

That's crazy that Qwai was able to hang in that division when he's roughly my height, didn't he also move up to Cruiserweight and have a war with Holyfield ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:07 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:
Ali wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:

At 175 it probably would have been.That's why a catch weight fight at 168 would have been more feasible.Because of his size, I believe it would have been easier for Qawi to make that weight than it would have been for Spinks.They listed Dwight at 5'7",but those who have met him say that was a bit generous.

On a side note,they list Hearns at 6'2".I met him after his fight with Randy Shields and I was eye to eye with him,and I'm exactly 6'0".
Yeah that happens all the time. Jermain Taylor is barely 6' and I am being generous. I met him at a FNF in Tulsa and was shocked how much bigger I was than him.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:
Ali wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:

Yeah that happens all the time. Jermain Taylor is barely 6' and I am being generous. I met him at a FNF in Tulsa and was shocked how much bigger I was than him.

Same thing goes for Hagler.The man is at least an inch shorter than his billed 5'10".

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Ali wrote:I am sure Hearn's afro added an extra two inches back in the day Laughing

That's crazy that Qwai was able to hang in that division when he's roughly my height, didn't he also move up to Cruiserweight and have a war with Holyfield ?

Qawi weighed 222 for his fight with Foreman.The guy was built like a Sherman tank.In the fight prior to Foreman,Qawi weighed 190 against Holyfield.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:16 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:
Ali wrote:I am sure Hearn's afro added an extra two inches back in the day Laughing

Qawi weighed 222 for his fight with Foreman.The guy was built like a Sherman tank.In the fight prior to Foreman,Qawi weighed 190 against Holyfield.

He fought Foreman too Surprised Qawi is now my hero.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Marvelous Marvin's natural fighting weight was 160, moving up to face Spinks at 175, just wouldn't have made any sense, and like someone already said, Hagler had plenty of fights to keep him busy at Middleweight.

BTW, next time Hagler is a guest on FNF, they need to ask him if he ever considered fighting Spinks, I'd bet if the money was right he might have gone for it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Ali wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:

He fought Foreman too Surprised Qawi is now my hero.

He was holding his own until he turned his back and walked away from Foreman in the seventh round.I think he realized he was not hurting George,despite landing his left hook at will.George was giving him a methodical beating in the last two rounds.To his credit he finished on his feet.

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:02 pm

Spinks vs Hagler was never more than a magazine writers idea. Both guys had pretty much cleaned their divisions out when it was starting to get mention, and by then, Hagler was actually making really good money on HBO with some big fights lines up. Spinks had already let it be known to Butch that he wanted to move to heavy. There was NEVER any official or even guaging of interest. Spinks was an absolutely HUGE light heavy and Marvin was on the small side for a middle. The fight would have never happened. But trust me, Marvin feared nobody. he would have fought Holmes for the right money..........

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Hagler routinely came in under the 160 lb. limit. Spinks was just a naturally bigger person. He would've outpointed Marvin.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:57 pm

boxinglawyer wrote: Spinks vs Hagler was never more than a magazine writers idea. Both guys had pretty much cleaned their divisions out when it was starting to get mention, and by then, Hagler was actually making really good money on HBO with some big fights lines up. Spinks had already let it be known to Butch that he wanted to move to heavy. There was NEVER any official or even guaging of interest. Spinks was an absolutely HUGE light heavy and Marvin was on the small side for a middle. The fight would have never happened. But trust me, Marvin feared nobody. he would have fought Holmes for the right money..........
Agreed. I'd comment but I have nothing to add.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down