The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What boxer do you think is the next future star?

+9
gomez1012
Gumby
jz_hova
GrantZilla
Rum Capital
kbyte
hardcorebee24
Shaun
Soonermark890
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What boxer do you think is the next future star? - Page 2 Empty Re: What boxer do you think is the next future star?

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Bruce Curry lost two wars to Benitez then was KO'd by Domingo Ayala all before Hearns and he was a light welterweight moving up. Tommy Hearns was his second fight moving up.

Duran beat "Ken Buchanan" for the lightweight title and was a 2-1 dog in that fight. My point is he didn't become the legendary Duran until after that fight and really after the Dejesus fight.

This is your standard I'm using not mine. You're choosing to say that there are zero potential stars in boxing currently. You used two examples of guys that were superstars and pointed to them being invincible. I pointed out that were not invincible and that invincibility doesn't make you a star.

The idiom is "Beating a Dead Horse" by the way.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

What boxer do you think is the next future star? - Page 2 Empty Re: What boxer do you think is the next future star?

Post  Shaun Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:03 am

If Saul Alvarez can learn English, I could see him becoming a mega star. He isn't an inner-city ghetto kid. He's a farmer's boy that loves to ride horses. People will respect that about him. I've also heard that he's very mature for his age.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:59 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:Bruce Curry lost two wars to Benitez then was KO'd by Domingo Ayala all before Hearns and he was a light welterweight moving up. Tommy Hearns was his second fight moving up.

Duran beat "Ken Buchanan" for the lightweight title and was a 2-1 dog in that fight. My point is he didn't become the legendary Duran until after that fight and really after the Dejesus fight.

This is your standard I'm using not mine. You're choosing to say that there are zero potential stars in boxing currently. You used two examples of guys that were superstars and pointed to them being invincible. I pointed out that were not invincible and that invincibility doesn't make you a star.

The idiom is "Beating a Dead Horse" by the way.
I never said they were invicible, I said they looked that way. Most of the stars in boxing capture the imagination of the public before they get a title shot by destroying their opposition. Your Bruce Curry example is weak. What about the other contenders Hearns beat before facing Leonard?

Right now, nobody is coming up in the ranks that I have seen that consistently captures my interest by putting all opposition away in a fashion that stuns me or reminds me of a great fighter of the past.

I won't discuss this anymore. I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about.

As far as the horse idiom, you knew what I was talking about right? And yes, beating a dead horse is what most people would say. But I think riding a dead horse is just as convincing. (smile).

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:41 pm

If Juanma can knock out Gamboa next year, it will be him. His style, and power just makes him so entertaining.

Canelo with Floyd and Manny leaving has a lot of room to rule Welter, if he decides to stay there. Hes a bit small for jr Middle, but looks like he doesnt wanna lose a meal to make Welter. Bradely, Khan and Berto will be hes threats at 147. at 154 He has Kirkland, Angulo, Williams, Sergei, Cintron, Vanes, Lara and so many other good contenders. Angulo actually has what it takes to beat anyone at 154.

Jose Benavidez in 8 years will be great.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:37 am

David Lemiuex is a good call for this one. White kid, KO artist and being French Canadian he has a huge hometown/province market built in that makes him a shoe-in to get big fights.

Quebecers will rally behind a Romanian like Bute and even more around a Hatian-Canadian like Pascal; but there's nothing quite the same as real born and bred Qubecois in there to get that market fired up.

Now, if he's got the chops to actually make it big who knows? He's got power and a good team of trainers like Russ Anber around him, so I think he'll be alright.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:42 am

Tobe you are right. Same reason Khandy-ass will never be as big as Hatton. Lemiuex is a good pick. Ward is on the cusp of boxing superstardom I think, just not on the Oscar level.

Grant I agree with all your points RE: network TV. It was truly Oscar who put Mayweather and PacDiva over.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:36 am

Seriously, it is almost impossible to build big names on PPVs and pay channels. Unless a fighter beats an already big name. There are only two left.

Bradley-Alexander fight got 1.4 million viewers. Which HBO lower and lower standards on good ratings as far as boxing, is good for them. Back in 2007, when Calzaghe-Kessler didn't get two million viewers, it was the lowest ratings for HBO Championship Boxing. Now, getting over a million viewers on HBO almost gurantee to be highest ratings for boxing for the entire year on regular HBO.

That won't cut it if you want to build names and stars.

Fighters need to fight more, and fight on bigger platforms can reach bigger audiences. Why promoters need to get networks like ESPN interested ect.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2