The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are the future stars

+3
Soonermark890
powerpuncher
GrantZilla
7 posters

Go down

Who are the future stars Empty Who are the future stars

Post  GrantZilla Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:55 am

who do think are the future stars of boxing?

I think Ward could be if he wins the now joke Showtime tournament, and goes on and beats Bute.

But I realy can't think of any big name future PPV stars as of right now

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Who are the future stars Empty Re: Who are the future stars

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:58 am

Abner Mares has a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:04 am

Aw, it's Marlb. Did you miss Zilla. I know you did.

But it's weird, outside Pac, there are no big PPV stars. Not even going to bring up Mayweather.

Which is fine by me, less PPVs the better. But sadily, I know boxing success is judged by PPV buys.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:26 am

GrantZilla wrote:Aw, it's Marlb. Did you miss Zilla. I know you did.

But it's weird, outside Pac, there are no big PPV stars. Not even going to bring up Mayweather.

Which is fine by me, less PPVs the better. But sadily, I know boxing success is judged by PPV buys.

I actually did! Be prepared, this is, by choice, a pretty gentlemanly place.

I think the winner of the 168 thing and Bute could both be PPV stars. The bantam tourney winner maybe.

But it sure isn't obvious is it?

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:37 am

I think not having major PPV stars could be a good thing. Obviously less PPVs.

But perhaps when do PPV, it'll have to be a stacked one, like UFC model. Since not one main event that can draw big numbers

See, I'd buy a stacked PPV any day over just one main event. Why I probably will not be getting Pac-Margs. Just not worth the price.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:09 am

I agree on Ward. I think Bute and Pascal (if he can get past Popkins and Dawson again) and perhaps Cleverly can be big draws with their home support.

I think Martinez will go to another level if he beats Williams(again) unfortunately he is not young.

maybe Khan

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:15 am

lopez might if he gets past rafa tonight and maybe even gamboa.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:18 am

Here are the guys I see that might be the future stars.
Bute
Cloud
Ward (maybe his style hurts him)
Mares
Amir Khan or Tim Bradley. It depends who wins that fight in the future.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:19 am

powerpuncher wrote:lopez might if he gets past rafa tonight and maybe even gamboa.
Shit I forgot about both of them. Gamboa could really easy become a star. He is really exciting and he seems to say the right things and fights often. Thats how pac did it.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:50 pm

I am not sure about Ward, although he's talented and a genuine nice kid his style doesn't exactly get pulses racing. And he's not exactly outspoken enough to make people tune in to see him lose.

JuanMa is a no brainer, especially if he beats Rafa tonight.

Khan is on his way to being a star, as long as he beats Maidana and then the Bradley vs Alexander winner he'll end up facing Floyd in 2011/12.

Pascal could potentially be a star IF he retires Hopkins.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:51 pm

Oh crap we forgot about Saul Alvarez.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:51 pm

im not sure about ppv stars but alverez kahn bradley alexander and ward loom as the next boxing stars..brute is there i think...lopez if he crushs raffy also.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:58 pm

I think the days of sole PPV stars will be over once Manny retires, promoters are starting to learn you can't put on PPV's with just one big fight and expect it to sell well. They'll soon start to copy MMA and stack cards with two maybe three title fights.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Ward isn't scintillating, but he really doesn't have a style.

Against Kessler he used faster hands to get off from long-range. He'd move and land knowing that Kessler has to re-set his feet when given alot of lateral movement. As that becomes predictable and Kessler can adjust over time, Ward then used his feet to get into medium range, land, and get the heck out.

Against Green-he mauled the son of a bitch. Pinned his ass on the ropes. Used one arm and his body to control green and the free arm to throw at him. Definitely some BHOP in there.

I think he is just getting his confidence as a fighter, and we don't know what his true style will be for a little while. He can probably become more exciting as his career progresses, though it is doubtful that he becomes a big star.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:24 pm

Maybe I should rephrase, Ward's feather fists and headbutts don't get me jumping out of my seat with excitement.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:26 pm

That is what I like about Ward, his abilityto read his opponents weaknesses and adjust his style accordingly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:30 pm

Ward plays to his strengths and I respect that, I just don't find it particularly exciting, especially when the majority of his fights end up one sided domination's.

Maybe I am judging him too early, hopefully Bute gives him a great fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Ali wrote:Ward plays to his strengths and I respect that, I just don't find it particularly exciting, especially when the majority of his fights end up one sided domination's.

i don't find the fights particularly exciting as I watch them. They are more of the watch a second time and catch all the little nuances (the boring ass intellectual side of me). Against Green the way he used his left shoulder, and left forearm was a thing of beauty. Green up against the ropes. Ward with the shoulder and left arm right in Green's chest. Green's right arm basically pinned up against his body. Green had no idea what to do? Good stuff.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:41 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Ali wrote:Ward plays to his strengths and I respect that, I just don't find it particularly exciting, especially when the majority of his fights end up one sided domination's.

i don't find the fights particularly exciting as I watch them. They are more of the watch a second time and catch all the little nuances (the boring ass intellectual side of me). Against Green the way he used his left shoulder, and left forearm was a thing of beauty. Green up against the ropes. Ward with the shoulder and left arm right in Green's chest. Green's right arm basically pinned up against his body. Green had no idea what to do? Good stuff.

I was never so disapointed with my friends here on the forum as I was in days following the Ward/Green fight. I couldn't believe all the negativity directed at Ward for what I thought was a brilliant performance. As I said at thetime, "I guess no one appreciates good in fighting anymore"

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:43 pm

Canvas wrote:
captainanddew wrote:

I was never so disapointed with my friends here on the forum as I was in days following the Ward/Green fight. I couldn't believe all the negativity directed at Ward for what I thought was a brilliant performance. As I said at thetime, "I guess no one appreciates good in fighting anymore"

Agreed. Alot of good infighting.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:18 pm

If Tavoris Cloud keeps winning, he's got a chance

Cleverly really impressed me, loved his style

Giovanni Segura keeps steamrolling people, another that could make it

Victor Ortiz can still do big things, his fight with L Peterson should show us more
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Cloud has the knockout power and raw aggression to become a star, his main problem is inactivity and Don King being his promoter.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Future stars in the sport: The Man at 168 (likely Bute or Ward), The Man at 140 (likely Bradley or Khan), The Man at 126 (likely JuanMa or Gamboa), The Man at 118 (likely Perez or Mares).

Future potential mainstream stars: Khan, Haye, Bute, Judah (redemption story), Rigondeaux (interesting story)
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:51 pm

David Lemieux is a future ppv star, IMO. He's got the Quebec fan base in his pocket and could be a real fan favorite with his power and style in the next few years.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down