The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What boxers today are like Hagler?

+3
flapanther2001
dbudge
Soonermark890
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What boxers today are like Hagler? Empty What boxers today are like Hagler?

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Marble made a great point in another thread and made me think what boxers today are like Hagler?

One thing I've learned over the catastrophe that has been boxing in the last decade is to accomplish like Marvin Hagler? Fighters have to THINK like Marvin Hagler.

So based off this what fighters are out there doing what Hagler would have done?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What boxers today are like Hagler? Empty Re: What boxers today are like Hagler?

Post  Guest Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:24 pm

The Klitschkos have some of it.

I think JuanMa has some of it.

JMM has a lot of it.

Tim Bradley it seems to me does things the right way.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:09 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:The Klitschkos have some of it.

JMM has a lot of it.

Hagler and Marquez were primarily "boxers" in their respective primes,and then became sluggers out of necessity in their advancing years.Marquez' chin is not 1/10 of Hagler's,however.JMM reminds me most of Marvin.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:17 pm

Carl Froch?? is the thread about in terms of boxing ability or rise to stardom. if it's about Hagler having to do things the hard way then i'd say Carl Froch is definitely similar with respect to. after his amateur career he could have gone with a number of more established promoters, if he had been with Warren though he'd still be fighting British title fights against bums but in big arenas for more money. he's chosen to be the best at what he does though and he's trying to prove that. i know i'm a huge Froch fan but i think he falls into this category

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Not really any current fighters I can think of that are similar to Marvin. He had the ability to box with boxers, slug with sluggers.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:51 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:

JMM has a lot of it.

Hagler and Marquez were primarily "boxers" in their respective primes,and then became sluggers out of necessity in their advancing years.Marquez' chin is not 1/10 of Hagler's,however.JMM reminds me most of Marvin.

I'm just talkiing attitude towards the fight game. The "bring me the best" kind of guys.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:52 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Not really any current fighters I can think of that are similar to Marvin. He had the ability to box with boxers, slug with sluggers.

The issue is attitude towards matchmaking. That's what the quote refers to.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:52 pm

dbudge wrote:Carl Froch?? is the thread about in terms of boxing ability or rise to stardom. if it's about Hagler having to do things the hard way then i'd say Carl Froch is definitely similar with respect to. after his amateur career he could have gone with a number of more established promoters, if he had been with Warren though he'd still be fighting British title fights against bums but in big arenas for more money. he's chosen to be the best at what he does though and he's trying to prove that. i know i'm a huge Froch fan but i think he falls into this category

Interesting thought. I think all the guys who joined the Super Six did what we were asking of fighters.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:54 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:

JMM has a lot of it.

I'm just talkiing attitude towards the fight game. The "bring me the best" kind of guys.

If that is the criteria,you're spot on.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:02 pm

JMM has a lot of it.

Miguel Cotto seems to have some of it. He faced very good competition at 140 (several former or future beltholders including Torres, Malignaggi) and then at 147 faced Mosley, Margarito,Quintana, Clottey, Judah, Pac, and a beltholder (weak one but legit) in Foreman at 154.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:09 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge wrote:Carl Froch?? is the thread about in terms of boxing ability or rise to stardom. if it's about Hagler having to do things the hard way then i'd say Carl Froch is definitely similar with respect to. after his amateur career he could have gone with a number of more established promoters, if he had been with Warren though he'd still be fighting British title fights against bums but in big arenas for more money. he's chosen to be the best at what he does though and he's trying to prove that. i know i'm a huge Froch fan but i think he falls into this category

Interesting thought. I think all the guys who joined the Super Six did what we were asking of fighters.

yeh but at least Froch, Abraham and Ward followed through with it. Dirrell straight up ducked Ward with the most BS excuse, lost any respect he was accredited with in my eyes. Kessler claimed the eye injury, i think that was more to do with him preserving what is at the moment a kind record to reflect upon and Taylor... well he should never have been in the Super 6. i think Froch displayed before the Super 6 what he was all about, Taylor could have fought Froch for his title but chose Lacy instead, then Froch went over to Taylor's backyard for his first defence and just wouldn't give up. That to me shows his measure as a man and it is hard to find many about today with the same measurements

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:13 pm

Ok I cant believe we are forgetting Glen Johnson.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:48 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:Ok I cant believe we are forgetting Glen Johnson.

Glen has never had the comfort ability to rest on his laurels. He's more of a perennial contender who loses close fights and has won one major title then lost it in his first defense. Glen puts on a great show but he's never been successful enough to be compared to Haggler.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:52 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:Ok I cant believe we are forgetting Glen Johnson.

Glen has never had the comfort ability to rest on his laurels. He's more of a perennial contender who loses close fights and has won one major title then lost it in his first defense. Glen puts on a great show but he's never been successful enough to be compared to Haggler.

talk about hitting the nail on the head

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:00 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:Not really any current fighters I can think of that are similar to Marvin. He had the ability to box with boxers, slug with sluggers.

OK...I gotcha....in that case, I'll say Paul Williams. He's been calling out top fighters from the beginning....maybe not looking so good in the ring, but at least he wants to fight.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:03 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

OK...I gotcha....in that case, I'll say Paul Williams. He's been calling out top fighters from the beginning....maybe not looking so good in the ring, but at least he wants to fight.

When it's totally on his terms he does. No way can we compare the two.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:04 pm

The main difference between the fighters you guys mentioned and Hagler is that Hagler was a top tier talent. JMM, Bradley, Cotto, Johnson, etc are all good to great fighters, but they are a notch below Hagler talent-wise.

This is one of the problems we have today: the top talents (Pacboy, Flod, Dawson, Dirrell, etc) don't always behave like they want to be great. The "I'm gonna wreck a division" attitude seems to be gone. Floyd had it at 130, but when he decided to become "Money Mayweather" instead of "Pretty Boy," well, we all saw what happened and are still seeing it today.

This is why I hope Martinez (who like Hagler is a skilled, avoided southpaw) decides to eschew trying to find one big payday and instead fight 3-5 times a year against top contenders and take out anyone willing at the 160 range who will to step up to him at middle.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:06 pm

Groundhog wrote:The main difference between the fighters you guys mentioned and Hagler is that Hagler was a top tier talent. JMM, Bradley, Cotto, Johnson, etc are all good to great fighters, but they are a notch below Hagler talent-wise.

This is one of the problems we have today: the top talents (Pacboy, Flod, Dawson, Dirrell, etc) don't always behave like they want to be great. The "I'm gonna wreck a division" attitude seems to be gone. Floyd had it at 130, but when he decided to become "Money Mayweather" instead of "Pretty Boy," well, we all saw what happened and are still seeing it today.

This is why I hope Martinez (who like Hagler is a skilled, avoided southpaw) decides to eschew trying to find one big payday and instead fight 3-5 times a year against top contenders and take out anyone willing at the 160 range who will to step up to him at middle.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:07 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Aside from the SM weight, what terms?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:09 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Aside from the SM weight, what terms?

Money, weight venue etc. He always wants dictate whats what with no fan base or leverage. Then instead of fighting to build a fanbase and stay active he waits on the shelf gets stale. I have no use for the guy.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:10 pm

You have to admit Dawson and Dirrell are greater in terms of raw physical talent than dudes like Pascal and Froch, etc. They just don't have the right mental state.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:12 pm

Groundhog wrote:You have to admit Dawson and Dirrell are greater in terms of raw physical talent than dudes like Pascal and Froch, etc. They just don't have the right mental state.

The right mental state is part of the package of greatness, no? I also don't think Dirrell is a top talent. I think he's an above average talent.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:14 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Groundhog wrote:You have to admit Dawson and Dirrell are greater in terms of raw physical talent than dudes like Pascal and Froch, etc. They just don't have the right mental state.

The right mental state is part of the package of greatness, no? I also don't think Dirrell is a top talent. I think he's an above average talent.

You are right. But then again, the top talents of yesteryear are always better than the top talents of today right? Goes for everything What a Face

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:21 pm

Groundhog wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

You are right. But then again, the top talents of yesteryear are always better than the top talents of today right? Goes for everything What a Face

I think PacMan and Floyd compete in any era. To add to your Froch and Pascal comment. Those guys to me are throwbacks that marble and the old men always wax nostalgic about.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:39 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:

I think PacMan and Floyd compete in any era. To add to your Froch and Pascal comment. Those guys to me are throwbacks that marble and the old men always wax nostalgic about.

Hehe, Marble would say that back in the 1480's, the average contender was a Froch or Pascal.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next