The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canelo vs. Trout likely for Sept 15th on Showtime

4 posters

Go down

Canelo vs. Trout likely for Sept 15th on Showtime Empty Canelo vs. Trout likely for Sept 15th on Showtime

Post  Guest Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:34 pm

With the Saul "Canelo" Alvarez-Victor Ortiz fight down the drain in the aftermath of Ortiz's ninth-round TKO loss to Josesito Lopez on Saturday, the pressing question in boxing is whom will Alvarez fight Sept. 15?

Golden Boy is seeking its fourth opponent for Alvarez after Ortiz's upset defeat, which came after previous opponents James Kirkland and Paul Williams dropped out.

In the aftermath of the Alvarez-Ortiz fight cratering, Golden Boy and Showtime both said Alvarez would still fight Sept. 15 -- on Mexican Independence Day weekend -- at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. They also said it wouldn't necessarily be on Showtime PPV, leaving the door open for the fight to air on regular Showtime and floating the idea of it being on CBS, Showtime's sister network.

With rivals Top Rank and HBO PPV going with Sergio Martinez against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in a much-anticipated middleweight championship fight on the same night from the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, it's clear that positioning an Alvarez fight opposite Martinez-Chavez on pay-per-view is suicidal. Besides, I've heard from multiple sources that pay-per-view industry executives have already given Top Rank the all-important primary pay-per-view channel, which would have relegated Alvarez's fight to the secondary PPV channel, which isn't available on all systems and would mean far less marketing and promotion from cable systems.

The only way I can see that changing is if an A-level opponent could be lined up to face Alvarez. There are only two names that fall into that category: Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Miguel Cotto.

Mayweather is locked up in county jail in Las Vegas for at least another month. The prospect of Mayweather exiting jail and fighting about a month later is zero. I don't consider Mayweather-Alvarez a possibility for this year. Next year? Certainly.

As for Cotto, he is coming off a spirited loss against Mayweather in a terrific fight on May 5. He made a boatload of money and isn't looking to rush back to the ring, especially as the B-side of a promotion as the Puerto Rican fighter matched against a Mexican on the Sept. 15 holiday.

I decided to check with Gaby Peñagaricano, Cotto's attorney and adviser, to see if Cotto might be lured into a September fight. From the sound of things, Alvarez-Cotto isn't in the cards for the September date.

"I have not even discussed the matter with Miguel, as this unexpected event [Ortiz losing] just occurred over the weekend," Peñagaricano said. "We will meet today, but our plan is to fight at the end of the year."

With Cotto almost certainly off the drawing board for Alvarez, I've been told by multiple sources that Alvarez will fight on live Showtime (not pay-per-view). I never thought CBS would seriously pull the trigger and do the fight anyway.

Alvarez's fight on Showtime probably will come against fellow titleholder Austin Trout, who fought on Showtime on June 2 and easily retained his belt against Delvin Rodriguez in a deathly boring fight. Still, at least there is a mild storyline to an Alvarez-Trout fight. Trout easily outpointed Rigoberto Alvarez -- Canelo's brother -- to win a vacant belt in February 2011 in Mexico. I'm told the two camps are far down the road from finalizing the match, though.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/1356/canelo-closing-in-on-sept-15-foe

Back to top Go down

Canelo vs. Trout likely for Sept 15th on Showtime Empty Re: Canelo vs. Trout likely for Sept 15th on Showtime

Post  UBeeg9cats Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:44 pm

I pick Canelo by robbery.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Canelo vs. Trout likely for Sept 15th on Showtime Empty Re: Canelo vs. Trout likely for Sept 15th on Showtime

Post  powerpuncher Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:36 am

i just read that they said this fight wasnt going to happen.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:31 am

powerpuncher wrote:i just read that they said this fight wasnt going to happen.
...this is true.dan r tweeted that shaffer said it wont be trout and it wont be on showtime.that leaves so called network tv..what is network tv.to me its a chanell that everyone gets including thoses that dont have pay cable tv.i doubt that it will be real network tv ...if showtimes not involved does it mean that the opponent is unworthy of showtime or that a cbs nbc is paying a little more for its so called network showing...ok trout is the forth guy that fell threw..now there are realy no excuses not to fight lara or molina.with 4 fighters that fell threw im no longer buying the bullshit no reward high risk.
also by keeping this date it further esculates the top rank golden boy lack of co operation.its a attempt to take away ppvs from the martinez fight.period..again another weekly thing thats not in the best interest of the sport.scumbags.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Canelo and Lara are THE divisions best from what I see. Trout and K9 are good opponents, but will fall short. Canelo capable of knocking out both title holders. I think a unification fight is more appealing for Canelo and GBP, so trout and K9 aren't bad opponents. IMoO these guys are better than Ortiz.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down