The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WBC reject Canelo vs. Trout

3 posters

Go down

WBC reject Canelo vs. Trout Empty WBC reject Canelo vs. Trout

Post  Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:17 pm

Greg Cohen, the promoter of "regular" World Boxing Association (WBA) junior middleweight champion Austin Trout, is hitting back at Jose Sulaiman, president of the World Boxing Council (WBC), for his public refusal to sanction a unification with WBC champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez on September 15th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. At a press conference in Mexico, Sulaiman said a unification with the WBA would cause his organization to lose "authority and exclusivity."

Sulaiman went further, stating that if Canelo accepts a fight with Trout, the Mexican star would be in danger of losing his title and a letter would go out to the WBA "to tell them Trout tested positive in a fight in San Luis Potosi."

The WBC president is referring to Trout's twelve round decision win over David Lopez, which took place on June 11th, 2011. After the fight, Trout reportedly tested positive for marijuana. Soon after, Trout was tested by an independent lab in New Mexico and he was cleared of any wrongdoing. There were all sort of issues with the orginal test, as Trout explained during an interview with BoxingScene.com a year ago.

"If you look at the date of the positive test that was posted, it read that the test was taken on June 13. But that was two days after we had fought and two days after I had actually taken the original test. And also, remember, there were no signatures on the test that I took. But the one that they posted -- which I had never seen before -- had my name typed in obviously with no signature," Trout said.

Trout's promoter is shocked with the WBC's position on the matter.

"I have great respect for Mr. Jose Sulaiman and the WBC, but I think they are misinformed. I feel it is irresponsible to bring this to light, a year later, when Austin has not done anything wrong," Cohen said.

"After Austin Trout beat David Lopez in June 2011, in San Luis Potosi, Mexico, we conducted a test, which [indicated the original test] result was a false positive. When Trout underwent a successful test in a laboratory in New Mexico, approved by the Boxing Commission of New Mexico, the results were negative. I think the authorities that administered the test on Trout in San Luis Potosi, Mexico, were crooked and must be punished. "

"This is old news and I do not understand why this is being taked about now. Any notice, accusing Austin Trout, is completely defamatory. The World Boxing Association was fully aware of this whole process and proclaimed, in accordance, that Austin Trout was clean and has never had illegal substances in his body."

"We've had discussions with the team of Canelo. Austin Trout would love to make a unification fight with "Canelo" Alvarez on September 15th at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada."

http://www.boxingscene.com/trouts-promoter-hits-back-wbc-over-canelo-refusal--54423

So it's ok for Garcia to unify with Khan but not for Canelo to unify with Trout ? Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

WBC reject Canelo vs. Trout Empty Re: WBC reject Canelo vs. Trout

Post  dmar5143 Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:13 pm

ho hum.another weekly typical bullshit from a phoney commision on there phoney titles.lets strip another guy then invent a fight between 2 stiffs and call it for the vacant title.ho hum.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:25 pm

i love the bullshit abcs.

canelo became the champ by fighting matthew hatton, and hatton wasn't even campaigning at 154.

can we stop referring to the belts.

and can we stop referring to any fight with 2 useless trinkets as a unification.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:54 am

my main problem with these trinkets is that it just elevates fighters to a level that they arent really at. so someone like canelo who could potentially be the best in the division wont fight the best in the division because he has a trinket. and then another trinket holder will do the same thing.

maybe we could actually get a mayweather-pac fight if one of them actually held the only title in the division rather than both of them having random trinkets from 5 different weight classes.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down