The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotto to Middleweight ? Rules out Sept 15th clash with Canelo

2 posters

Go down

Cotto to Middleweight ? Rules out Sept 15th clash with Canelo Empty Cotto to Middleweight ? Rules out Sept 15th clash with Canelo

Post  Guest Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:13 am

Former three division world champion Miguel Cotto (37-3, 30KOs) is considering the possibility of a move to 160-pounds on December 1. Cotto's return could take place in New York's Madison Square Garden or a venue in Las Vegas.

All of the champions at 160-pounds are very big compared to the 5'7 Cotto. If possible, Cotto would attempt to get a catch-weight involved in the fight.

"It's a very attractive option for me. We're analyzing and studying to see if we can do it. Yes, it is a motivation, to become the first Puerto Rican champion to win titles in four weight divisions," Cotto told Jose Sanchez.

"I do not know (how high I could fight). Those are things to discuss in the negotiations."

One possible option is French boxer Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam (27-0, 17 KOs). N'Jikam is the WBO's interim-champion, but he is set to become the full champion once the current king Dmitry Pirog steps in the ring to fight WBA champion Gennady Golovkin in August.

N'Jikam's promoter told Sanchez they are interested in facing Cotto and the right amount of money could overcome any issues with the weight.

Although he was never actually mentioned to be in the running, Cotto is not even considering the possibility of facing WBC 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez on September 15th in Las Vegas.

"September is not a possibility. I have plans with my family in July. Fighting in September would be disrupting the plans that I have with them and that is something that I will not do," Cotto said.

http://www.boxingscene.com/cotto-eyes-possible-160-shot-comments-on-canelo--54497

Back to top Go down

Cotto to Middleweight ? Rules out Sept 15th clash with Canelo Empty Re: Cotto to Middleweight ? Rules out Sept 15th clash with Canelo

Post  captainanddew Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:14 am

he's one of the smaller guys at 154. Now he wants to try to cherry pick a belt at 160. sounds like it will blow up in his face.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Cotto to Middleweight ? Rules out Sept 15th clash with Canelo Empty Re: Cotto to Middleweight ? Rules out Sept 15th clash with Canelo

Post  Guest Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:21 am

captainanddew wrote:he's one of the smaller guys at 154. Now he wants to try to cherry pick a belt at 160. sounds like it will blow up in his face.

+1

Miguel should just wait for Golden Boy to move Canelo's date back.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:13 pm

GB isn't moving the date back.

Cotto should just fight Canelo in December. Which is when I expect him to fight again (and Canelo is young and won't have a problem with the turnaround).
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:17 pm

captainanddew wrote:GB isn't moving the date back.

Cotto should just fight Canelo in December. Which is when I expect him to fight again (and Canelo is young and won't have a problem with the turnaround).

They're being stubborn fools, it's a bad move to go up against your own fanbase on the same night in the same town.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:10 pm

Ali wrote:

They're being stubborn fools, it's a bad move to go up against your own fanbase on the same night in the same town.

canelo's fight is going to end up on regular showtime.

that isn't a horrible move.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:37 pm

last i heared shaffer said the fight will not be on showtime.its a spitfull move.they can make it sept 14 or a week later.plus showtime has booked a sept 8 date with other fighters.this move is done to piss top rank off and nothing else..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:00 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Ali wrote:

canelo's fight is going to end up on regular showtime.

that isn't a horrible move.

It's still splitting the Mexican fanbase and possibly damaging ticket sales.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down