The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canelo's Sept 15th fight moving to CBS ?

3 posters

Go down

Canelo's Sept 15th fight moving to CBS ? Empty Canelo's Sept 15th fight moving to CBS ?

Post  Guest Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:52 pm

Victor Ortiz’s loss to Josesito Lopez may have spoiled Golden Boy Promotions’ plan to put in Saul “Canelo” Alvarez with Ortiz for September 15th as they had previously announced, but Golden Boy still plans to have Canelo fight on that date regardless.

Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, announced that they will look at 3 possible opponents for Canelo but they will not give up the date of September 15th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Top Rank also has a big fight planned for the same date, two miles down the road at the Thomas & Mack Center, with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr taking on Sergio Martinez for Middleweight supremacy - which will mean both fights will go head to head.

If we thought the Canelo-Ortiz fight falling apart would finally make Golden Boy budge on the date, we were wrong.

“What I know for sure is Canelo Alvarez is the biggest superstar in Mexico. What I know for sure is Canelo Alvarez will be fighting on September 15th from the MGM Grand. What we are going to be doing next week with the matchmakers and Canelo’s team, we are going to be evaluating different options. Oscar [De La Hoya], Eric [Gomez], Canelo and me spoke a little tonight and we are looking at 3 possible names. Obviously it wouldn’t be prudent for me to name those names right now because I’d like to negotiate with them first,” revealed Schaefer.

The only thing Golden Boy might budge on is making Canelo’s next fight a PPV affair and even that’s not a sure thing. Finding Canelo an opponent for his September 15th date has been a difficult task as 3 possible opponents have fallen by the wayside. Out of the 3 possible opponents they are looking at now, Golden Boy only deems one PPV worthy. Not only that, but if they go with either of the other 2 possible combatants for Canelo, we might see boxing make a return to network television. Two of Canelo's rumored options include former champion Carlos Quintana and WBA "regular" 154-pound champion Austin Trout.

“What Golden Boy believes is we don’t do PPVs when they are not PPV worthy because that is taking advantage of fight fans. But having said that, if one of those opponents we are thinking about can in fact come through, it will be a very, very big PPV” said Schafer.

“Now if that doesn’t happen, we are looking at the two other names, two other options. And those fights will be either live on Showtime or, and hold on to you seats because it’s true what I’m about to tell you now; live on CBS - network television”.

So not only will Canelo continue on to fight on September 15th but the Top Rank and Golden Boy standoff continues as well. Golden Boy looks to make an announcement as early as next week when they feel they will be able to reach a deal for Canelo’s next opponent.

Back to top Go down

Canelo's Sept 15th fight moving to CBS ? Empty Re: Canelo's Sept 15th fight moving to CBS ?

Post  GrantZilla Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:07 pm

We've all heard this shit from GB and Arum before. That they will bring boxing back to network TV. I'll beleive it when it's announced. Until then, Canelo's next fight will be PPV regardless if the opponent is PPV worthy or not.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Canelo's Sept 15th fight moving to CBS ? Empty Re: Canelo's Sept 15th fight moving to CBS ?

Post  dmar5143 Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:46 pm

quintana is a joke.the so called big big ppv fight there talking about only 1 name matches that.its cotto.first williams then kirkland now ortiz.decent opposition but quintana please.if its trout its not a ppv card to match sergio-chavez.i twill be network for free to take away fans from buying the ppv.the only problem shaffer is the ppv will start around 11.30 or after the canelo fights over.times runing short for golden boy..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:30 am

putting it on CBS would be great for golden boy because i think you could get a lot of people to watch it. plus, canelo is an exciting fighter and has potential to become a real big name in boxing. but CBS will bring more publicity and less money. who wants that?
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down