The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ok what effect will the "loss" have on Pac?

+3
NJBeatdown86
Frank
Soonermark890
7 posters

Go down

Ok what effect will the "loss" have on Pac? Empty Ok what effect will the "loss" have on Pac?

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:27 pm

I am just wondering what you guys think? I am just wondering if he will become extremely motivated now or will it have no effect on the next fight. I personally feel sorry for the next guy he fights. I think he will try to kill that next guy. What do you guys think?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Ok what effect will the "loss" have on Pac? Empty Re: Ok what effect will the "loss" have on Pac?

Post  Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:37 pm

Manny's not the same he's lost his killer instinct, call it religion, boredom or age but Pac's definitely lost a step.

Back to top Go down

Ok what effect will the "loss" have on Pac? Empty Re: Ok what effect will the "loss" have on Pac?

Post  Frank Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Sooner, I hope you're right. However, I think that Manny needs a big fight to get his blood pumping again. Ray Leonard used to have the same problem. Following his 1981 victory of Tommy Hearns, he could only get up for the big one against Marvin Hagler.

I think that Manny should be honest with himself. If his heart is not in this anymore and he doesn't feel motivated by the challenges ahead, he should retire.

Sure he won the Bradley fight, however the Pac I know would've come close to damn nearly killing Tim.

This is why I was so upset over the behavior of Floyd M in reference to Pac. That was the fight at the end of the rainbow for Pacquiao. We all know it won't take place. Though Pac's career will be complete without it, a fight with Floyd would've bought back the Manny magic of old.

If I were to advise Manny, I'd tell him to call it a career right now. Nobody is champion forever.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Frank wrote:Sooner, I hope you're right. However, I think that Manny needs a big fight to get his blood pumping again. Ray Leonard used to have the same problem. Following his 1981 victory of Tommy Hearns, he could only get up for the big one against Marvin Hagler.

I think that Manny should be honest with himself. If his heart is not in this anymore and he doesn't feel motivated by the challenges ahead, he should retire.

Sure he won the Bradley fight, however the Pac I know would've come close to damn nearly killing Tim.

This is why I was so upset over the behavior of Floyd M in reference to Pac. That was the fight at the end of the rainbow for Pacquiao. We all know it won't take place. Though Pac's career will be complete without it, a fight with Floyd would've bought back the Manny magic of old.

If I were to advise Manny, I'd tell him to call it a career right now. Nobody is champion forever.

I agree but the money is just too good for Manny to walk away right now, he's borrowing massive amounts from Arum.

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:41 pm

I think it showed that Pac has indeed lost a step. Just a few years ago he would have demolished the Bradley that showed up that night. I think he'll have a few more fights, and possibly stick around longer than he should if he is indeed blowing huge amounts of $$$.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:28 pm

NJBeatdown86 wrote:I think it showed that Pac has indeed lost a step. Just a few years ago he would have demolished the Bradley that showed up that night. I think he'll have a few more fights, and possibly stick around longer than he should if he is indeed blowing huge amounts of $$$.

in his last 3-4 fights his legs have shown a decline. That doesn't reverse.

this isn't a case of Ray having had a retina injury and needing Hagler to get him interested and bring out the best in him. The Pac that beat up ODH, Hatton, and Cotto isn't there. He is older and his dnyamic physical abilities are leaving him.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:21 pm

I think everyone can see that Pac has lost a step, but I'd hate to see him retire now and not take at least one more fight. To me that ends his whole career on a sour note. He may never fight Floyd, that'll always be a bit of an asterix, but if he goes out after such a contraversial loss that's just too much, IMO.

My advice would be take the rematch and beat Bradley, then walk away unless something changes with the Mayweather fight. [code]
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:06 pm

I agree that he has lost a step. But I think some of that has been motivation. So does this "loss" change that?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:I agree that he has lost a step. But I think some of that has been motivation. So does this "loss" change that?

motivation has nothing to do with foot and handspeed. They are not at the same level as 3 years ago. And his punch output is going down.

Is he still better than almost everyone else? YES!

Has his chance of beating Floyd gone down by a decent %? YES!

If he were to lose a decision to Marquez, it wouldn't be sad. It can be argued that Marquez has won those fights and Marquez is one heck of a fighter. If he were to lose to Floyd, it would be disappointing because we never got to see Pac take him on in his absolute prime. But seeing him lose to anyone else around 147 would be very sad to see.

He should beat Bradley. See if Floyd wants to fight. If Floyd doesn't want it then do 1 last fight against Marquez and retire.

Don't stay too long.

Of course if Manny asking for loans from arum is true (and from what I have heard on twitter from a couple of boxing writers is that Pac getting loans was not a secret, so it is likely true), then he is going to end up fighting too long.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:35 pm

I do think he lost a step, he's only stepped up in competition. Bradley and Marquez are top 10 ranked fighters.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:53 am

captainanddew wrote:
NJBeatdown86 wrote:I think it showed that Pac has indeed lost a step. Just a few years ago he would have demolished the Bradley that showed up that night. I think he'll have a few more fights, and possibly stick around longer than he should if he is indeed blowing huge amounts of $$$.

this isn't a case of Ray having had a retina injury and needing Hagler to get him interested and bring out the best in him. The Pac that beat up ODH, Hatton, and Cotto isn't there. He is older and his dnyamic physical abilities are leaving him.
Ever see the Ray Leonard - Kevin Howard fight? In his first comeback fight following his eye injury, he was knocked down by Kevin Howard, a bum. People thought Ray was finished and rather crazy for challenging Marvin Hagler. Hagler was a 3-1 fav. The rest is history.

Even if Pac has lost a step, all the great ones have one more great night in them until they're completely shot.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:21 am

yes what frank says is true to a big degree.many greats have turned back the clock for one two sometimes 3 fights before there decline is a ongoing thing.robinson did that at 40 in fight 4 with fullmer .a fight he clearly won but was called a draw.charles did in two fights with marciano.frazier in the last ali fight.pep had 70-100 plus fights after the plane crash that clearly ended his prime...
in pacs case toss motivation out the window please.what greater motivation did he need for marquez 3..after that fight motivation should of set in for bradley looking to erase the performance in the marquez fight..both times that so called motivation came up short i feel.
again what greater motivation is there then 40-50 million dollars to finaly against all odds make the floyd fight..
does he have it in him for 1 more fight thats outstanding..perhaps he does.that outstanding performance doesnt mean translate that into a fantastic win..it could come in a loss.his career is 1 or 2 fights away from ending if he wants to end it at a high note..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Did Manny complain about leg cramps this time ?

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:31 pm

[quote="Frank"]
captainanddew wrote:

Ever see the Ray Leonard - Kevin Howard fight? In his first comeback fight following his eye injury, he was knocked down by Kevin Howard, a bum. People thought Ray was finished and rather crazy for challenging Marvin Hagler. Hagler was a 3-1 fav. The rest is history.

seen the fight multiple times. My dad believed Ray was done after that and bet a decent amount on Hagler when they fought years later.

I think Ray got dropped in sparring in one of his last sparring sessions in prep for the Hagler fight as well.

Pac has been declining for years. People can say he isn't motivated. He isn't excited. He needs a challenge. He needs to be younger. His legs and hands are slowing like happens to 98% of fighters in their 30s. He isn't as explosive.

I liked how Pac blocked alot of Bradley punches, but I can not ignore the fact that Pac 2009 beats Pac 2012 clearly.

Does it mean he can't beat Floyd? No, he could still do it. But he better take him on now, rather than later. It may already be too late, and if it isn't, it will be another yr from now.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down