The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ANDRE WARD'S LIMITATION

+6
dbudge
Frank
Gumby
GrantZilla
Groundhog
hardcorebee24
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ANDRE WARD'S LIMITATION Empty ANDRE WARD'S LIMITATION

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:59 am

The guy is turning into a terriffic fighter. But I think he is missing one thing that will keep him from being a star. He is not a lethal puncher. He's a good one, but not an electric, highlight reel one.

Am I wrong about his power or it's impact on his stardom?

Back to top Go down

ANDRE WARD'S LIMITATION Empty Re: ANDRE WARD'S LIMITATION

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:13 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:The guy is turning into a terriffic fighter. But I think he is missing one thing that will keep him from being a star. He is not a lethal puncher. He's a good one, but not an electric, highlight reel one.

I think that you're spot on and I think that's why Hopkins never had a right guard commercial and Haggler did. Ward is in a shit division as far as publicity is concerned.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:25 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:The guy is turning into a terriffic fighter. But I think he is missing one thing that will keep him from being a star. He is not a lethal puncher. He's a good one, but not an electric, highlight reel one.

Too bad he doesn't have Bute's power. How much of Bute's KO power is the result of good timing and getting people to walk into his punches compared to just raw power?

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:27 am

Bute's power is more timing, definitly. Which is more important. You can have massive power, but if can't connect, it's useless

Unless you got Big George power. He didn't have to land clean to lift you off the mat
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:28 am

Groundhog wrote:

Too bad he doesn't have Bute's power. How much of Bute's KO power is the result of good timing and getting people to walk into his punches compared to just raw power?

THAT is exactly the comparison I was thinking. Those two things really work together don't they? I mean Joe Louis may not have been quite the power generator of Ernie Shavers, but did ANYONE ever set his punches up better than Louis?

My own guess is Ward's legs are regularly too far apart to generate maximum leverage whereas Bute has a more classic and efficient punching style.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:29 am

GrantZilla wrote:Bute's power is more timing, definitly. Which is more important. You can have massive power, but if can't connect, it's useless

Unless you got Big George power. He didn't have to land clean to lift you off the mat

Big George could knock one down with the concussion of a near miss Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:30 am

I don't think Ward got power period. Sure better leverage could give him a little more pop, but he'll never have a big punch

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:30 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Groundhog wrote:

THAT is exactly the comparison I was thinking. Those two things really work together don't they? I mean Joe Louis may not have been quite the power generator of Ernie Shavers, but did ANYONE ever set his punches up better than Louis?

My own guess is Ward's legs are regularly too far apart to generate maximum leverage whereas Bute has a more classic and efficient punching style.

LOL I love watching Bute's straight down the pipe body blow. It's like the "gimme your lunch money" shot you see on playgrounds.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:32 am

Call me crazy, but I think Wlad probably hits as hard as Shavers and Foreman. Maybe even harder.

I know Roach who trained Tyson said Wlad hits way harder than Tyson, but Tyson was faster
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:32 am

GrantZilla wrote:I don't think Ward got power period. Sure better leverage could give him a little more pop, but he'll never have a big punch

You could well be right. Hard to see Ward making a fundamental change while he's winning.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:33 am

Groundhog wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Groundhog wrote:

LOL I love watching Bute's straight down the pipe body blow. It's like the "gimme your lunch money" shot you see on playgrounds.

LOL!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:34 am

GrantZilla wrote:Call me crazy, but I think Wlad probably hits as hard as Shavers and Foreman. Maybe even harder.

I know Roach who trained Tyson said Wlad hits way harder than Tyson, but Tyson was faster

I just cannot recall anyone's jab just paralyzing guy after guy after 2-3 rounds. It just takes the steam out of everyone in a way I haven't seen before.

Some of that may be the competition.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:38 am

Compition definitly, but when Wlad connects with that right hand, I don't care if your Muhammad Ali, your going to eat the canvas. It's pulverizing.

And it makes sense. Wlad built like a puncher. Strong legs, long arms to get maximum velocity on his punches at a good range

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:43 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:

LOL!

I think if Bute could develop a Martinez-esque right hook, I would pick him without too much hesitation to become champ at 168 soon. Every time he hurts someone with the solar plexus punch, prospective opponents see that shit, and they gain more respect for it, and actual opponents fear it. By the end of the fight Brinkley was flinching at the slightest twitch of that left.

...too bad he has a weaksauce pansy right hook Sad

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:50 am

Ward's lack of power will prevent Ward from being a star...unless he keeps fighting and beating the best. 168 is stacked enough and Ward is charming enough that if he comes out on top of the Super Six he'll be a household name. If he beats a few top contenders and a mega fight with Bute I think he can become the face of US boxing.

Also, I strongly believe he's going to keep improving. He's already identified his own weaknesses and nullified them by smothering guys. I think as he evolves his offense will come along as well. Ward showed a much improved left hook tonight and dug to the body with flurries of uppercuts that he hasn't shown. As he develops more and gets more comfortable he can either open up his combinations more or sit on his punches more. Eventually, he's going to figure out how to put guys away.

Ward could really benefit from a counter uppercut. Also, he needs to take more chances. By round 9 he had worn Bika down and taken control of the fight. Instead of opening up on or sticking and moving against a more vulnerable Bika he took the safe route and grinded away the victory. Unfortunately, with Abe and Froch/Johnson I doubt he's going to KO anyone anytime soon. I enjoyed that fight though. I'm biased but I think the general public could get behind fights like that.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:53 am

Gumby wrote:Ward's lack of power will prevent Ward from being a star...unless he keeps fighting and beating the best. 168 is stacked enough and Ward is charming enough that if he comes out on top of the Super Six he'll be a household name. If he beats a few top contenders and a mega fight with Bute I think he can become the face of US boxing.

Also, I strongly believe he's going to keep improving. He's already identified his own weaknesses and nullified them by smothering guys. I think as he evolves his offense will come along as well. Ward showed a much improved left hook tonight and dug to the body with flurries of uppercuts that he hasn't shown. As he develops more and gets more comfortable he can either open up his combinations more or sit on his punches more. Eventually, he's going to figure out how to put guys away.

Ward could really benefit from a counter uppercut. Also, he needs to take more chances. By round 9 he had worn Bika down and taken control of the fight. Instead of opening up on or sticking and moving against a more vulnerable Bika he took the safe route and grinded away the victory. Unfortunately, with Abe and Froch/Johnson I doubt he's going to KO anyone anytime soon. I enjoyed that fight though. I'm biased but I think the general public could get behind fights like that.

VERY nice post.

I don't agree with all of it (obviously), but nice post.

The thing is I WANT Ward to be a star. He seems like a really, really good guy, has his stuff together etc.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:59 am

Nobody calls themselves "Son of God" is always preaching, has no power, is going to be a star in boxing.

If you don't got power, you better have a colorful personality. Ward doesn't.

I don't see him ever being a star. His trainer doesn't seem him as a star. He sees him as a star-killer
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:02 am

GrantZilla wrote:Nobody calls themselves "Son of God" is always preaching, has no power, is going to be a star in boxing.

If you don't got power, you better have a colorful personality. Ward doesn't.

I don't see him ever being a star. His trainer doesn't seem him as a star. He sees him as a star-killer

Isn't it Son of a Gun? Either way its Shit.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:04 am

Uggg just looked it up it is Son of God. Sorry grant. Yeah that blows. Fuck that nickname
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:41 am

You've only just discovered this Marble, should have been clear with theMiranda, Kessler and Green fights.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:32 am

GrantZilla wrote:Compition definitly, but when Wlad connects with that right hand, I don't care if your Muhammad Ali, your going to eat the canvas. It's pulverizing.

And it makes sense. Wlad built like a puncher. Strong legs, long arms to get maximum velocity on his punches at a good range

Let's not get carried away.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:35 am

i dunno Frank, that right hand puts people to sleep, not just down on their arse. I'm sure that Wlad's power would be trouble for anybody if they were to get caught flush with it. 245lb lean muscle with 6'7" worth of leverage into it. i think i'd rather get hit by a car

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:36 am

i dunno Frank, that right hand puts people to sleep, not just down on their arse. I'm sure that Wlad's power would be trouble for anybody if they were to get caught flush with it. 245lb lean muscle with 6'7" worth of leverage into it. i think i'd rather get hit by a car

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:41 am

dbudge wrote:i dunno Frank, that right hand puts people to sleep, not just down on their arse. I'm sure that Wlad's power would be trouble for anybody if they were to get caught flush with it. 245lb lean muscle with 6'7" worth of leverage into it. i think i'd rather get hit by a car
No doubt he can hit dbudge, but I watched an "over the hill" Ali take the best of Earnie Shavers for 15 rounds. He hit Ali so hard in the latter rounds that one of the announcers, Ken Norton, actually screamed. Believe it or not, Ali came back to stun him in the 15th and almost took him out. If Ali takes a ten count, you don't bring a doctor in ring, you bring an undertaker.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:55 am

GrantZilla wrote:Compition definitly, but when Wlad connects with that right hand, I don't care if your Muhammad Ali, your going to eat the canvas. It's pulverizing.

wlad is timid as hell, but as soon as he lands a good right hand, 95% of his opponents run like a little girl. That thing hurts like all hell.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next