The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ANDRE WARD'S LIMITATION

+6
dbudge
Frank
Gumby
GrantZilla
Groundhog
hardcorebee24
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ANDRE WARD'S LIMITATION - Page 2 Empty Re: ANDRE WARD'S LIMITATION

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:00 am

Ward is one of those guys that may build an amazing resume before he is done but isn't scintillating. He just finds a way to win.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:05 am

captainanddew wrote:Ward is one of those guys that may build an amazing resume before he is done but isn't scintillating. He just finds a way to win.
.... and that's all that matters, Captain. I love guys like that. "Let's win this one and look good later." You fight enough of those fights and you end up in the HOF. Just ask Eusebio Pedroza.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:45 am

Frank wrote:
captainanddew wrote:Ward is one of those guys that may build an amazing resume before he is done but isn't scintillating. He just finds a way to win.
.... and that's all that matters, Captain. I love guys like that. "Let's win this one and look good later." You fight enough of those fights and you end up in the HOF. Just ask Eusebio Pedroza.

Bernard Hopkins tactic

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:46 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Compition definitly, but when Wlad connects with that right hand, I don't care if your Muhammad Ali, your going to eat the canvas. It's pulverizing.

And it makes sense. Wlad built like a puncher. Strong legs, long arms to get maximum velocity on his punches at a good range

ANDRE WARD'S LIMITATION - Page 2 1290449_o

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:47 pm

Ali wrote:You've only just discovered this Marble, should have been clear with theMiranda, Kessler and Green fights.

I'm a little slow on the uptake. Blame it on the Maui sunshine.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:49 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali wrote:You've only just discovered this Marble, should have been clear with theMiranda, Kessler and Green fights.

That's no excuse, the fresh pacific air should have you thinking with a clear head. Just be honest and admit it's the excessive indulgence of rum Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Yup. But those kinds of guys are rarely stars. They can be great, but rarely stars.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Ali wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

That's no excuse, the fresh pacific air should have you thinking with a clear head. Just be honest and admit it's the excessive indulgence of rum Wink

I'm a teetotal. Blame it on excess Ben and Jerries.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

I'm a teetotal. Blame it on excess Ben and Jerries.

Hahah too much Ice Cream is never a bad thing.

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:56 pm

ive said this for the last while. his power is a problem. he doesnt need to be a devastating puncher but i think that he needs to be a little more crisp so that he can really make his opponents think twice before coming in. but i still think that he beats everybody in the division right now. he seems like one of those fighters that seems like you should be able to find a good game plan to beat him, but once you get into the ring with him its harder than you thought it would be.

abe and froch are way too slow. we will see ward fight abe next and ward will easily win that fight because abe wont be able to touch him. froch has always had problems with speed and a good jab so ward will easily beat him also. bute will be harder but i think that ward can make the fight ugly enough to win a close decision. bute and ward are definitely the two best at the weight class right now. too bad dirrell cant keep his act together because from what ive seen of him, he has the talent to be the best but he needs to work on a few things in and out of the ring.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:02 pm

powerpuncher wrote:ive said this for the last while. his power is a problem. he doesnt need to be a devastating puncher but i think that he needs to be a little more crisp so that he can really make his opponents think twice before coming in. but i still think that he beats everybody in the division right now. he seems like one of those fighters that seems like you should be able to find a good game plan to beat him, but once you get into the ring with him its harder than you thought it would be.
abe and froch are way too slow. we will see ward fight abe next and ward will easily win that fight because abe wont be able to touch him. froch has always had problems with speed and a good jab so ward will easily beat him also. bute will be harder but i think that ward can make the fight ugly enough to win a close decision. bute and ward are definitely the two best at the weight class right now. too bad dirrell cant keep his act together because from what ive seen of him, he has the talent to be the best but he needs to work on a few things in and out of the ring.

The bold is awfully hard to argue with. Like I said, I WANT this guy to be a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:25 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

Yup. But those kinds of guys are rarely stars. They can be great, but rarely stars.

But how many of those guys are articulate American gold medal winning Olympians? I think Ward's a long shot to super stardom but in the US who else is there?
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:44 pm

[quote="Gumby"]
marbleheadmaui wrote:

But how many of those guys are articulate American gold medal winning Olympians? I think Ward's a long shot to super stardom but in the US who else is there?[/quote]

Good point. As good as he is in the ring and as gentlemanly and exemplary as he is outside it he is utterly lacking in charisma in either area. Unfortunately boxing is in a situation where a great fighter/good guy is no longer automatically a star. If there isn't a charisma filled great around? There simply are NO stars at all. Not good.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:43 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:The guy is turning into a terriffic fighter. But I think he is missing one thing that will keep him from being a star. He is not a lethal puncher. He's a good one, but not an electric, highlight reel one.

Am I wrong about his power or it's impact on his stardom?

Ward lacks one punch KO power, and he's just not a charismatic character or crowd pleasing. He reminds me of Chad Dawson, you hardly ever hear anyone getting excited about seeing one of his fights, unless there's a chance that he might lose.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:The guy is turning into a terriffic fighter. But I think he is missing one thing that will keep him from being a star. He is not a lethal puncher. He's a good one, but not an electric, highlight reel one.

Am I wrong about his power or it's impact on his stardom?

I think that you're spot on and I think that's why Hopkins never had a right guard commercial and Haggler did. Ward is in a shit division as far as publicity is concerned.

Hopkins not having a Right Guard commercial had a lot more to do with him being a gap-toothed, ugly ex-con than about anything he did in the ring. Dude could have been the world's biggest puncher; still wouldn't have changed his marketability to Madison Ave.

Ward might have that potential; if he can develop his brand a little bit.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:02 am

Frank wrote:
dbudge wrote:i dunno Frank, that right hand puts people to sleep, not just down on their arse. I'm sure that Wlad's power would be trouble for anybody if they were to get caught flush with it. 245lb lean muscle with 6'7" worth of leverage into it. i think i'd rather get hit by a car
No doubt he can hit dbudge, but I watched an "over the hill" Ali take the best of Earnie Shavers for 15 rounds. He hit Ali so hard in the latter rounds that one of the announcers, Ken Norton, actually screamed. Believe it or not, Ali came back to stun him in the 15th and almost took him out. If Ali takes a ten count, you don't bring a doctor in ring, you bring an undertaker.

Earnie Shavers was six foot, 210 pounds when he fought Ali. He's pretty much Cruiserweight size by todays standards.

Wlad is 6'6, a lean 240 pounder, with long arms to get maximum velocity, and shifts his entire weight into punches.

I don't care if you got a chin made of cast-iron, you get hit flush with his right hand, your going to bed.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:50 am

Tobe wrote:
Hopkins not having a Right Guard commercial had a lot more to do with him being a gap-toothed, ugly ex-con than about anything he did in the ring. Dude could have been the world's biggest puncher; still wouldn't have changed his marketability to Madison Ave.

Ward might have that potential; if he can develop his brand a little bit.

LOL. True. The black supremacist comments probably don't help either. Can you imagine trying to get Hopkins to read a script within 15 seconds? He'd go into a 10 minute meandering monologue about his greatness. The director would be like "just say the line as written"

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:46 pm

Ward needs to put his punches together, all I saw Saturday night was single shots

I can recall one two punch combination, he can put people away if he where to let his hands go a bit more
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2