The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTF? SWIMMER DIES DURING RACE

2 posters

Go down

WTF?  SWIMMER DIES DURING RACE Empty WTF? SWIMMER DIES DURING RACE

Post  Guest Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:22 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=5718372

Fran Crippen, a medal-winning open-water swimmer on the U.S. national team, told his coach he wasn't feeling well late in a race before he died in the United Arab Emirates on Saturday.

The 26-year-old from a family of prominent swimmers in suburban Philadelphia was competing in the FINA Open Water 10-kilometer World Cup in Fujairah, south of Dubai, but failed to finish and was found in the water two hours later, according to Swimming World.

The magazine said the water temperature was in the mid- to high-80s, and several swimmers were treated for heat exhaustion after the race.

Swimmers were the first to respond when Crippen failed to arrive at the finish. Several returned to the water to search for him and were soon followed by a dive team. Crippen's body was found just before the last buoy on the 2-kilometer triangular course, race organizers said.

He was rushed to shore and transported to Fujairah Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

That's just not supposed to happen. RIP

Back to top Go down

WTF?  SWIMMER DIES DURING RACE Empty Re: WTF? SWIMMER DIES DURING RACE

Post  CervezaExtra Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:25 am

Wow. I agree. At least he died doing something he loved. Definitely too young to go though.
CervezaExtra
CervezaExtra

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:24 pm

I saw the story. I feel for his family and friends.

I saw that the water temperature was rather high and guys were struggling in the conditions.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down