The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Race Thread

+2
gomez1012
Gumby
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Race Thread Empty Race Thread

Post  Gumby Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Just a general thread to discuss issues on race.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Race Thread Empty Re: Race Thread

Post  Guest Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:56 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:02 pm

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:13 pm

gomez1012 wrote:

Funny Shit

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:20 pm

Car, bike or running?
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Rum on his way to work

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:12 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Rum on his way to work

LOL

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:02 am

I always liked the 400 meter hurdles and the Olympic Downhill.

First guy to the bottom of the mountain wins!

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:10 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:I always liked the 400 meter hurdles and the Olympic Downhill.

Edwin Moses fan huh?
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Harley Race and Race Bannon.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:58 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:I always liked the 400 meter hurdles and the Olympic Downhill.

Edwin Moses fan huh?

You have NO idea! I worshipped the ground that man walked on and got to shake his hand one day. I was thrilled.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:25 am

Sorry Gumby, it doesn't look like anyone wanted to discuss race. scratch

I've got a topic: I know it varies from State to State, but prior to the Civil War, what percent of southern 'white' americans owned a black african slave?

I've read that 60% of black african slaves were kept in large groups on southern plantations, and that overall, anywhere from 5% to 40% (depending on the state) of white southern Americans owned black slaves prior to the Civil War.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:52 pm

Ring wrote:Sorry Gumby, it doesn't look like anyone wanted to discuss race. scratch

I've got a topic: I know it varies from State to State, but prior to the Civil War, what percent of southern 'white' americans owned a black african slave?

I've read that 60% of black african slaves were kept in large groups on southern plantations, and that overall, anywhere from 5% to 40% (depending on the state) of white southern Americans owned black slaves prior to the Civil War.

I think the overall number was around 5%. HUGE concentrations as you note.

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:40 pm

i have read that 3% to 5 % of the south owned slaves at the outbreak of the civil war, but here is the interesting fact, look at the numbers

when the war began there was roughly 22 million people living in the Union, there was 9 million people living in the Confederacy, 3 million of which where slaves, some estimates say there were as many as 3.5 million slaves in the south but 3 million is the agreed upon number

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 pm

chapelle's the best
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:23 pm

Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:35 pm

bird wrote:i have read that 3% to 5 % of the south owned slaves at the outbreak of the civil war, but here is the interesting fact, look at the numbers

when the war began there was roughly 22 million people living in the Union, there was 9 million people living in the Confederacy, 3 million of which where slaves, some estimates say there were as many as 3.5 million slaves in the south but 3 million is the agreed upon number

The reason I asked this question was, unless they were either wealthy, or a southern plantation owner, most 'whites' could not afford to 'own' slaves. The 3%-5% figure likely represents the number of white businesses and/or wealthy white families owning slaves. (I hope I said that right)

If your figures are correct Bird, and there were 9 million people living in the Confederacy, and 3 million were black african slaves, that would mean 33% of the Southern States population was black african, if so that's a pretty amazing statistic. It's even more amazing to me that slavery in America only ended something like 150 years ago.

BTW, I read somewhere that prior to the Civil War, the economy of the Southern U.S. was larger/richer than any country in the world, except England's. This was mainly because of Cotton, picked primarily by black slaves.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:35 pm

russel peters is really funny also especually when it comes to asians
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:02 pm

DL Hughley

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:53 pm

bird wrote:i have read that 3% to 5 % of the south owned slaves at the outbreak of the civil war, but here is the interesting fact, look at the numbers

Absolutely staggering isn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:46 am

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 pm

It really is nuts, whats even crazier is of that 3 to 5 % that owned slaves in the south, really about 1% owned around 70 - 90 % of the slaves, figures arent certain but it is known that basically a 1 percenent minority owned a huge majority of the slaves due to huge plantation owners.

Think about that, 1% of the population owning atleast 25% of the population, just nuts.

It is very crazy to think only 150 years ago people were sold... even crazier to think that up until the 1960s certain people (mainly black) couldnt vote in the south.

Even more impressive was that over 180,000 african americans fought for the north in the Civil War.

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:08 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

its realy hard to fathom how the COnfederacy even thought they had a shot

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:50 pm

bird wrote:It really is nuts, whats even crazier is of that 3 to 5 % that owned slaves in the south, really about 1% owned around 70 - 90 % of the slaves, figures arent certain but it is known that basically a 1 percenent minority owned a huge majority of the slaves due to huge plantation owners.

Think about that, 1% of the population owning atleast 25% of the population, just nuts.

It is very crazy to think only 150 years ago people were sold... even crazier to think that up until the 1960s certain people (mainly black) couldnt vote in the south.

Even more impressive was that over 180,000 african americans fought for the north in the Civil War.

Bird people are STILL bought and sold and enslaved in various parts of the world. The Sudan, Mali, Niger still have mil,lions of slaves.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:40 pm

bird wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

its realy hard to fathom how the COnfederacy even thought they had a shot

The South did incredibly well in the Civil War at first, mainly because the North's heart wasn't in it, but the South's was, and because the North had inept/tenative commanders. That all changed after Grant was put in charge.

When things were going the South's way, they had a chance at a Peace settlement with the North, which would have given them just about everything they wanted. But the arrogant Southern bastards, erroneously thought they could win the war outright, huge mistake.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next