The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Williams wants Chavez Jr. and Canelo Bouts

+7
gomez1012
dbudge
flapanther2001
UBeeg9cats
powerpuncher
Diego408
GrantZilla
11 posters

Go down

Williams wants Chavez Jr. and Canelo Bouts Empty Williams wants Chavez Jr. and Canelo Bouts

Post  GrantZilla Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:03 pm

For years, Williams was known as the most avoided fighter in boxing. Williams said that he would be satisfied with his career if he were to hang his gloves up now. He said that with the help of his trainer/co-manager/father figure George Peterson - he invested his money wisely and doesn't need the sport for financial reasons and that he is continuing because he wants to make one more run at getting another title.

"With Mr. Peterson's help I have invested my money wisely. I have invested in apartment buildings and houses," Williams stated. "I am coming back to get the belts. I have another run left in me. I want 3-4 more good fights. Its hard though. Guys say they are gonna fight then they pull out so its tough. I train hard and get ready and then they change opponents on me," he continued.

Looking back, Williams views his victory over Antonio Margarito as the biggest win of his career. He also mentioned some of the other fights that stick out in his mind.

"The best win would be when I beat Margarito. I beat Margarito in 07 when no one wanted to fight him. When he was real hot. Winky Wright and Sharmba Mitchell were two other guys who no one wanted to fight. I accomplished a lot. I'm a two division champion," Williams told BoxingScene.

Williams said that he doesn't have a preference as to which division he fights in. The past few years he has floated between the welterweight and middleweight division. He did however reveal two opponents that he would like to face in the future.

"I don't look past any of my opponents but (Julio) Chavez or (Saul) Alvarez are two guys who I really want. I leave that to my trainer and managers," Williams revealed.

http://tinyurl.com/6tfzqgu
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Williams wants Chavez Jr. and Canelo Bouts Empty Re: Williams wants Chavez Jr. and Canelo Bouts

Post  Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:21 pm

That's all well and good Paul but it doesn't change the fact they won't happen because of your manager Al Haymon.

Back to top Go down

Williams wants Chavez Jr. and Canelo Bouts Empty Re: Williams wants Chavez Jr. and Canelo Bouts

Post  Diego408 Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:35 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:That's all well and good Paul but it doesn't change the fact they won't happen because of your manager Al Haymon.
I dont think that will matter anymore. Al will get him the biggest possible money fights as Williams is almost at the end of the road. Ive been thinking lately that he'll most likely end up fighting Chavez within the year. It will generate him a lot of money, Williams isnt much of a puncher, so TR would want that fight because Chavez is so much bigger, plus Williams is somewhat of a relevant name despite getting whooped by Lara. Hes at the satge of his career where they'll just make him a stepping stone. I think Arum will end up putting Chavez against Martinez once Martinez starts looking old. Martinez doesnt have too much time in this sport. The guy is very old.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:41 pm

years back i thought that williams was going to be a really good fighter, but he turned out to be nothing special.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Hagler's Bald Head wrote:That's all well and good Paul but it doesn't change the fact they won't happen because of your manager Al Haymon.
I dont think that will matter anymore. Al will get him the biggest possible money fights as Williams is almost at the end of the road. Ive been thinking lately that he'll most likely end up fighting Chavez within the year. It will generate him a lot of money, Williams isnt much of a puncher, so TR would want that fight because Chavez is so much bigger, plus Williams is somewhat of a relevant name despite getting whooped by Lara. Hes at the satge of his career where they'll just make him a stepping stone. I think Arum will end up putting Chavez against Martinez once Martinez starts looking old. Martinez doesnt have too much time in this sport. The guy is very old.

Arum ain't doing business with Al Haymonso you can cross out the Jr fight, Canelo vs. Williams could eventually happen.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:44 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:
Diego408 wrote:

Arum ain't doing business with Al Haymonso you can cross out the Jr fight, Canelo vs. Williams could eventually happen.
You never know, it would be a fight that is convenient for both sides. Canelo vs Williams isnt a bad one either though. I'd like to see Williams fight them both
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Diego408 wrote:

You never know, it would be a fight that is convenient for both sides. Canelo vs Williams isnt a bad one either though. I'd like to see Williams fight them both

Paul's still too much of a risk for someone like Jr

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Williams, like all guys that look poor in their last outing, are a dangerous gamble for a promoter like Arum. I mean he had a guy leap out of the ring against him, KO'ed by Sergio, and then looked poor against a southpaw boxer. He might have more in the tank than we think as long as he avoids southpaws and boxers. My guess is he beats Ishida comfortably and then gets picked apart in his last big fight.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:36 pm

When did Williams come out of his coma?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:37 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:When did Williams come out of his coma?

When Showtime fell under the Sith influence of Al Haymon.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:43 am

williamsn vs ishida first. great preparation for guys like Canelo and Chavez jr .....

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Id take Williams over both of them
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:35 pm

powerpuncher wrote:years back i thought that williams was going to be a really good fighter, but he turned out to be nothing special.
He was a really good fighter...at 147.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:58 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Id take Williams over both of them

With a little more seasoning Canelo will smoke him.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:48 am

gomez1012 wrote:Id take Williams over both of them

With a little more seasoning Canelo will smoke him.

Canelo goes thru some lulls, Paul on the right day could be too aggressive for him
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Diego408 wrote:

Paul's still too much of a risk for someone like Jr
hes not, JR is porbably the 4th best Middleweight IMO. Paul has fell way off at this point.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:55 am

Williams slaps that drunk around
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:28 am

Williams would beat Bum Jr, there's no way Arum matches Bum Jr against PW. Even in his deteriorated state, PW is still too much of a risk for Jr(and that's sad).

I think Canelo would beat PW though....

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:06 am

Everyone wants the Middleweight Champ. wait in line like the rest. Your day is coming
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:39 pm

What's with P-Dub's afro ?

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:58 pm

Paul Williams would love to face big money, defense-lacking orthodox fighters. He can still compete that way and maybe get lucky.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:31 pm

I think both those guys would end Williams' career. Too big and too strong for him.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:52 pm

if PW loses to Piston Honda tonight his career is going to be in jeopardy.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down