The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

De La Homo says Canelo-Chavez must be at 156 or no fight

+5
powerpuncher
Soonermark890
UBeeg9cats
captainanddew
GrantZilla
9 posters

Go down

De La Homo says Canelo-Chavez must  be at 156 or no fight  Empty De La Homo says Canelo-Chavez must be at 156 or no fight

Post  GrantZilla Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya has rejected a possible super-fight between Mexican superstars Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - unless his promotional rival Top Rank agrees to a catch-weight of "156-pounds." De La Hoya, pressed with questions from reporters, stated he'll make the fight "only at 156."

Top Rank has interest in the fight, with a proposed catch-weight of 158-pounds. Chavez, the WBC middleweight champion, retained his title on Saturday night in Houston, Texas with a fifth round stoppage of Peter Manfredo. Alvarez returns on November 26th in Mexico, defending his WBC junior middleweight title against former champion Kermit Cintron.

There are serious doubts on wehther or not Chavez can even make 158, but 156 seems impossible.

http://tinyurl.com/6m52tq6

Arum's response:

Chris Mannix
Reporter says @OscarDeLaHoya says Canelo won't fight JCC. Arum: "Was he in or out of uniform when he said it."

Chris Mannix
Arum: @OscarDeLaHoya is not running a promotional company. He is tweeting all the time. What he says doesn't matter."
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

De La Homo says Canelo-Chavez must  be at 156 or no fight  Empty Re: De La Homo says Canelo-Chavez must be at 156 or no fight

Post  Guest Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Richard needs to gag Oscar, he embarrasses Golden Boy each time he opens his mouth.

It's a fight Canelo would shine in and the revenue would help with their financial problems.

Back to top Go down

De La Homo says Canelo-Chavez must  be at 156 or no fight  Empty Re: De La Homo says Canelo-Chavez must be at 156 or no fight

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Canelo probably would shine in it, but he is going to be giving up many pounds in the ring. While he should outbox Chavez Jr. all night, Canelo is a guy who got buzzed by guys who were much smaller.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Canelo would be giving up weight but I don't think he is staying at 154 for long and would be able to put on weight quite easily. GBP only has to ask themselves 2 questions when it comes to this proposed fight: do they think Canelo would win and do they have a strategy/gameplan for Canelo at 154. I believe the answer to the first one is yes but I don't know about the 2nd one. It is unlikely they will get Cotto/Margarito because the Bobfather holds grudges. There is no other big money name at 154 at this time. I think they would actually avoid Kirkland for Canelo. That leaves only one potential holdup. Can Canelo land the Floyd fight? If they think they can get that fight, he should stay away from adding weight right now but if they can't, we should get this Mexican showdown.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that it would be a very close fight? I am still not sold on either of them even though I think I underrate both fighters at times.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:19 pm

chavez is like a gate keeper fighter to me. he hasnt fought anybody good his whole career and has literally never really impressed me. he has had a few fights that made me think that he was pretty good but thats about it.

canelo has fought small guys most of his career so that would be his biggest disadvantage for the fight. but canelo has had some fights that have really impressed me and some that havent as much. so i think that canelo has a way bigger upside than chavez.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:57 am

powerpuncher wrote:chavez is like a gate keeper fighter to me. he hasnt fought anybody good his whole career and has literally never really impressed me. he has had a few fights that made me think that he was pretty good but thats about it.

canelo has fought small guys most of his career so that would be his biggest disadvantage for the fight. but canelo has had some fights that have really impressed me and some that havent as much. so i think that canelo has a way bigger upside than chavez.
I agree. Also I like canelo better.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:25 am

UBeeg9cats wrote: GBP only has to ask themselves 2 questions when it comes to this proposed fight: do they think Canelo would win and do they have a strategy/gameplan for Canelo at 154. I believe the answer to the first one is yes but I don't know about the 2nd one. It is unlikely they will get Cotto/Margarito because the Bobfather holds grudges. There is no other big money name at 154 at this time.

GB will milk Canelo just like Arum has milked Bum Jr. Canelo doesn't need big names to sell out the Staple Center.

Arum is trying to cash Bum Jr out. He can't run from the likes of Martinez forever.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:55 am

So now Oscar is cool with catchweights?

What happened when he said....

As I approached him, a reporter had gotten right to the heat of the moment and asked De La Hoya what he thought of the Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito upcoming junior middleweight catchweight vacant title fight.

“Boxing is made up of weight classes,” De La Hoya criticized. “Stick to your weight classes.”

“You fought Hopkins for the title at a catchweight,” I reminded him.

“What weight class?” asked Oscar.

“158,” I replied.

“Well, yeah. That was the arrangement, you know?” He explained. “Would I have considered myself the champion at 160 if I would have beat him? No. There’s weight classes and there is a reason we have weight classes. But boxing is now a business. And it seems that people are heading towards that direction.”
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:07 am

"They rely on Oscar, who’s a dummy. Oscar is one of the stupidest guys I’ve ever met. I’m just saying what it is. The guy is really not smart. Forget just ‘not smart.’ He’s not just even average"

---Bob Arum

De La Homo says Canelo-Chavez must  be at 156 or no fight  Untitl16
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:40 am

Oscar is the devil... Twisted Evil
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Chavez Jr: De La Hoya's 156 Reply Shows Canelo is Scared!

After his fifth round stoppage of Peter Manfredo, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was bombarded by the media about the likelihood of a potential showdown with fellow Mexican superstar Saul "Canelo"" Alvarez.

"If he's not scared," said a blunt Chavez.

The son of the legend said he would love to face Alvarez but doesn't think that Canelo really wants to fight him. He said that Alvarez's team wants conditions that are unrealistic when it comes to making the fight.

Chavez is the WBC middleweight champion while Alvarez is the junior middleweight champion of the same organization. Alvarez however has fought several of his fights at catch-weight's between the welterweight and junior middleweightlimit and an agreement for a catch-weight against Chavez is the major sticking point in making the fight.

Alvarez's promoter Oscar De La Hoya has recently said that for the fight to happen Chavez must agree to a 156 pound weight limit which Chavez says is impossible for him to make.

"They want me to fight at 156 pounds. I cannot go down to 156. They make all of these conditions on the fight. If he really wants the fight then let's do a catch-weight that works for us both. To me that shows that he is scared," said Chavez

Chavez went on to say that he thinks Alvarez is a good boxer and that the fight would generate a lot of interest amongst the fans.

"Between Mexicans there are always good fights. Of course it will be a good fight. He is a good fighter. If he isn't scared let's do it," said Chavez.

http://tinyurl.com/7rcqa59
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:00 pm

Make the fight at 157 and get it over with! JCC jr goes down 3 pounds and Canelo goes up 3lbs. If not then Make Chavez jr vs Lee fight. We all know Arum will want to make a little more $$$ with Chavez with bouts like Lee, Canelo and Sturm before he faces the Champion Martinez. I don't get the big deal if Chavez fights and loses to Sergio. He will still be competitive with the other guys i mentioned TR does not need to "cash out" Chavez at this point or any other point!
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:43 pm

nano212 wrote:Make the fight at 157 and get it over with! JCC jr goes down 3 pounds and Canelo goes up 3lbs. If not then Make Chavez jr vs Lee fight. We all know Arum will want to make a little more $$$ with Chavez with bouts like Lee, Canelo and Sturm before he faces the Champion Martinez. I don't get the big deal if Chavez fights and loses to Sergio. He will still be competitive with the other guys i mentioned TR does not need to "cash out" Chavez at this point or any other point!

chavez jr. probably can't make 157. He weighed in right under 160 his last 2 fights and then weighed 180 in the ring. A guy that adds 20 pounds after the weigh in is not making weight easily.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:52 pm

Canelo should be scared and has no reason to fight. Canelo is an average sized junior middle. Chavez is an average sized light heavy. I don't think it matters how much better Canelo is, Chavez will do damage. Canelo should focus on 154. Chavez should focus on 160 and later 160+.

It's funny that Arum is so critical of Oscar here after saying Manny would fight Martinez at 150.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down