The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arum on Cotto's Options: Chavez, Canelo, Martinez, More

+2
powerpuncher
GrantZilla
6 posters

Go down

Arum on Cotto's Options: Chavez, Canelo, Martinez, More Empty Arum on Cotto's Options: Chavez, Canelo, Martinez, More

Post  GrantZilla Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm

WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto plans to rest and spend time with his family for the next couple of weeks. After the holidays are over, Cotto is going to sit down with Top Rank to discuss the next move for his career. Cotto's contract with Top Rank expires on December 31st. The Puerto Rican superstar has already pledged to remain with Top Rank until the end of his career.

"Bob Arum is my promoter and he will always be my promoter," Cotto said.

Arum would like to match Cotto against WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., but went over some of the other possible names being thrown around, like Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, Floyd Mayweather Jr., and Sergio Martinez.

"Cotto deserves to fight for another title and Chavez, Jr. is a good choice. It could be for the spring of next year, probably in Las Vegas. Forget Mayweather, Jr., for now. He wants to fight [Manny] Pacquiao and we are focused on making this fight. Canelo is still too young to fight Cotto and Sergio Martinez could be an interesting fight, but he plans to fight on March 17. We'll see. Let's take one thing at a time," Arum told Lester Jiminez.

http://tinyurl.com/7tjmreq
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Arum on Cotto's Options: Chavez, Canelo, Martinez, More Empty Re: Arum on Cotto's Options: Chavez, Canelo, Martinez, More

Post  powerpuncher Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:10 pm

arum doesnt care about cotto getting a title shot against chavez. he just wants to make the money off of the fight and hopefully cash in cottos last hurrah
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Arum on Cotto's Options: Chavez, Canelo, Martinez, More Empty Re: Arum on Cotto's Options: Chavez, Canelo, Martinez, More

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Pretty comical....he says "Forget Mayweather, he wants to fight Manny." Oh really? Now you say that?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:22 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Pretty comical....he says "Forget Mayweather, he wants to fight Manny." Oh really? Now you say that?

he wants to dangle a 4th championship belt in front of Cotto and ask him to face Chavez Jr. If I'm Cotto I say fine, but Chavez Jr. can't weigh more than 170 pounds the night of the fight. That probably ends that fight discussion right there.

If Arum thought Cotto had 4-5 fights left in him over a 2 yr period, he wouldn't mention Chavez, but because he feels like cotto could be much closer to done than that, he is willing to stick him in there with the young Chavez.

IT IS WIN-WIN FOR ARUM!!!!!. He makes a ton of money. If Cotto wins he'll angle for another big PPV. If Chavez Jr. wins then Arum will have legitimized his Mexican cash cow.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:43 pm

If Freshman was here he'd be saying why isn't Williams an option.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:49 am

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:If Freshman was here he'd be saying why isn't Williams an option.
Why isn't Williams an option?
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Gumby wrote:
Hagler's Bald Head wrote:If Freshman was here he'd be saying why isn't Williams an option.

I'll give you a clue, a Sith Lord is involved.

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:56 pm

I'd like to see him fight Alvarez.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Gumby wrote:

I'm Paul Williams. Even though nobody comes to my fights and my fights get terrible ratings, pay me!
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:53 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Gumby wrote:

I'm Paul Williams. Even though nobody comes to my fights and my fights get terrible ratings, pay me!

You know what I am saying ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down