The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canelo-Williams Sep 17

+7
UBeeg9cats
hillsicc303
dmar5143
gomez1012
captainanddew
SlickMoney
GrantZilla
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Canelo-Williams Sep 17  Empty Canelo-Williams Sep 17

Post  GrantZilla Tue May 15, 2012 6:29 am

Monday was a busy one in the Los Angeles offices of Golden Boy Promotions, where a matchup between WBC junior middleweight beltholder Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and former two-time welterweight titleholder Paul Williams was a major topic of discussion for Sept. 15.

WOW!

"You can put 'Wow' in capital letters," said Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer. "That might be the name of the fight. 'Wow.'"

"Absolutely, Canelo will definitely fight on Sept. 15," said Schaefer. "I'm going to be speaking tomorrow, with [boxing] advisor, Al Haymon, and one of the names which we are considering is Paul Williams."

Other considerations for Alvarez have been WBC welterweight and WBA junior middleweight beltholder Floyd Mayweather Jr. (43-0, 26 KOs), or three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs), the man Mayweather beat by unanimous decision on May 5.

Hammer-fisted James Kirkland (31-1, 27 KOs), also promoted by Golden Boy, was also a name mentioned to face Alvarez.

"Canelo is one of those guys who wants to fight any and everybody, so he has absolutely no fear. He looked sensational against Mosley, and we believe that he is the best 154-pounder," said Schaefer. "Obviously, Paul Williams would be a big challenge. When I say big, that's in a big way, so we will see."

http://tinyurl.com/8ay73m3

Last edited by GrantZilla on Tue May 22, 2012 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Canelo-Williams Sep 17  Empty Re: Canelo-Williams Sep 17

Post  Guest Tue May 15, 2012 10:31 am

That's a risky fight and I like it.

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Tue May 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Richard Schaefer confirms that the Sept 15th card with Canelo Alvarez on PPV will be at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas #boxing

So Canelo-Williams is going to be on PPV?
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue May 15, 2012 5:18 pm

SlickMoney wrote:
Richard Schaefer confirms that the Sept 15th card with Canelo Alvarez on PPV will be at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas #boxing

$$$$$$ There's a sucker born everyday.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue May 15, 2012 5:21 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:

$$$$$$ There's a sucker born everyday.

yes, but not a sith lord (Haymon) born every day.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue May 15, 2012 5:25 pm

captainanddew wrote:yes, but not a sith lord (Haymon) born every day.

In boxing, yeah. There'll always be a Hayman type figure. It use to be Don King.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 16, 2012 1:08 pm

SlickMoney wrote:

It's a Mexican holiday, they've been planning that PPV for awhile.

I expect the card to be stacked.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu May 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Good fight, could be lights out for Paul...again
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Canelo-Williams Sep 17  Empty ALVAREZ VS PAUL WILLIAMS SEPT 15

Post  dmar5143 Tue May 22, 2012 9:17 pm

oscar has told ring magazine its a done deal.alvarez vs williams.good matchup .there looking for hbo or showtime to pick it up now.delahoyas hinting at a very good card for the other fights.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue May 22, 2012 9:21 pm

its a good matchup. PW still throws alot of punches but not as many as he did 3-4 yrs ago.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Tue May 22, 2012 11:55 pm

Pretty good fight, no way in hell PPV worthy. The Canelo hype train is steadily outracing the quality of his opponents.

But PW could pose some problems to the sometime lazy Canelo. If it's true that he had trouble making weight against Shame, that's just ridiculous. He's 21, and has already "out-grown" 147, and now he's supposedly having trouble making 154? Either he has serious metabolism issues, or he's just lazy. Either way it will catch up to him...

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Wed May 23, 2012 12:00 am

Paul is a very live dog IMO. Outside the Sergio rematch, he has shown to have an excellent chin. Add that to his still very high workrate and while underutilized still very daunting reach and Paul can pull off the victory against a guy who has just not quite impressed as much as the hype makes it sound.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Wed May 23, 2012 12:12 am

Paul is a very live dog IMO. Outside the Sergio rematch, he has shown to have an excellent chin. Add that to his still very high workrate and while underutilized still very daunting reach and Paul can pull off the victory against a guy who has just not quite impressed as much as the hype makes it sound.

I wasn't impressed at all in Canelo's victory over the ancient, shot, Shame Mosley. Yeah, he won convincingly, but it was against a 40 year old man, a 40 year old man who landed more punches on Canelo than he has in his last 3 fights combined.

I like Canelo, he is exciting, and he's good for the sport overall. But I've always said that he's a KO waiting to happen. His skills are nowhere near his hype. GBP thinks they are slick picking PW. PW has name, has seen better days, is somewhat chinny, and doesn't hit TOO hard to seriously damage Canelo with one or two solid punches. With all that said, he will still test Canelo like he's never been tested before.

There is a reason they didn't pick Kirkland: Kirkland stunk it up in his last fight, but he would ALL OVER the stationary Canelo, just like he was ALL OVER Angulo. But the good thing is he's running out of "soft touches". Pretty soon he has to face the Kirklands, Angulos, Laras, and Cottos of the world. The scam is running it's course...

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed May 23, 2012 1:46 am

I don't mind the fight, except it's a bullshit PPV. But is this considered a step up for Canelo?
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Wed May 23, 2012 1:51 am

I don't mind the fight, except it's a bullshit PPV. But is this considered a step up for Canelo?

PW is far better than anybody Canelo has faced lately, but that's not saying much. GBP still playing relative softball with their manufactured title holder/cash-cow.

But there is NO WAY IN HELL THIS FIGHT BELONGS ON PPV...

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Wed May 23, 2012 7:15 am

I guess Canelo can't do anything right huh? Him fighting PW is tougher than kirkland, Cotto, or any of those bums at 154. Why have Cotto never fought PW??? you guys who trying to knock this fight are sad
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed May 23, 2012 7:31 am

I'm not shitting on the fight, but I don't want to pay to see it.

If this was the PW of 3-4 yrs ago then I would be more excited. But it isn't!!!

He fought the razor thin fight with Martinez. He has the aborted fight with Cintron. He gets destroyed by Martinez. He gets a gift win vs Lara. He beats Ishida clearly.

Is it the same PW? I don't think he's shot as some online(not saying anyone here is arguing that) have argued, but I do feel the PW of 2008/2009 beats the PW of 2012 clearly.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Wed May 23, 2012 7:42 am

jz_hova wrote:I guess Canelo can't do anything right huh? Him fighting PW is tougher than kirkland, Cotto, or any of those bums at 154. Why have Cotto never fought PW??? you guys who trying to knock this fight are sad

Not 1 person knocked this fight. Another brilliant post from you.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed May 23, 2012 10:47 am

De La Hoya on twitter says Jhonny Gonzalez vs Ponce De Leon, Maidana, & Linares trying to avenge his most recent ko loss could be the rest of the card
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Wed May 23, 2012 10:51 am

SlickMoney wrote:
jz_hova wrote:I guess Canelo can't do anything right huh? Him fighting PW is tougher than kirkland, Cotto, or any of those bums at 154. Why have Cotto never fought PW??? you guys who trying to knock this fight are sad

Not 1 person knocked this fight. Another brilliant post from you.

and on que everytime I post anything one of you lames on this board try to come at JZ

I know Obama support you gays but I don't so go fuck yourself
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 23, 2012 12:02 pm

Why so hostile oh great masked one ?

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Ali wrote:Why so hostile oh great masked one ?

I just tired of these lames with a smart comment everytime I post my 1 post per month

that's why I only post once per month. maybe i sould decrease my volume some more
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed May 23, 2012 2:32 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I don't mind the fight, except it's a bullshit PPV. But is this considered a step up for Canelo?
I think it's a good fight if it happens in June or July on HBO. What are these guys doing that these fights take this long to put together? Last I heard, none of the two fighters in question were running for president.

It's a good title defense for Alvarez but it's happening too slowly. Anyway, he'll open up on Williams and take him out somewhere around the 8th or 9th rounds. He'll do it because he'll have to. I'd love to see Kirkland - Alvarez, however the way things go with these match ups, that'll be PPV and they would probably schedule it for December. LOL

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed May 23, 2012 2:34 pm

jz_hova wrote:
Ali wrote:Why so hostile oh great masked one ?

I just tired of these lames with a smart comment everytime I post my 1 post per month

that's why I only post once per month. maybe i sould decrease my volume some more
JZ, if it matters at all, I'm really happy to hear from you and I missed your presence here.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Wed May 23, 2012 6:19 pm

I like the fight. Put together a good undercard fight and I will support the PPV and buy it.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next