The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm officially a hater of Mr. Guerrero

5 posters

Go down

I'm officially a hater of Mr. Guerrero Empty I'm officially a hater of Mr. Guerrero

Post  captainanddew Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:16 pm

He hasn't cleaned out 135. I don't hear him calling out Rios (though maybe I missed it). He has not proven himself at 140 and yet he wants to go to 147 for a payday. He is becoming the epitome of what is wrong with boxing. He hardly fights and just calls other fighters out asking for a payday.

from boxingscene.com

Guerrero is Willing To Face Mosley To Prove His Worth
Posted by: Osman Rodriguez on 1/26/2012 .

By Osman Rodriguez

When Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero (29-1-1, 18KOs) began issuing challenges to WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr., the former multi-division champion was ridiculed by some experts as being inexperienced at the higher weights and not being worthy of a Mayweather opportunity.

To prove his worth, Guerrero is willing to make his welterweight debut against former three division champion "Sugar" Shane Mosley (46-7, 39KOs). Guerrero is confident he can accomplish what no other boxer has been able to accomplish, including Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. He expects to knock Mosley out.

By beating Mosley, Guerrero hopes to get a fight with Mayweather. Several trainers, including Emanuel Steward, Kenny Adams, Robert Garcia, Eddie Mustafa and Miguel Diaz, believe Guerrero's style will present problems for Mayweather.

Emanuel Steward - "It's a tough fight. To me it's a pick-em fight in my opinion."

Kenny Adams - "I think the matchup is a good matchup and it's a very competitive fight with Guerrero without a doubt"

Eddie Mustafa - “Guerrero has great credentials and it won’t be a pushover. His body will allow him to hold that weight perfectly because of his height”

Robert Garcia - "Guerrero will be tougher because he's a left hander and he's a fighter that won't stay there in front of him”

Miguel Diaz - "Guerrero is proven and a real, real good fighter with a lot of skills and a lot of heart." It’s a good intelligent fight between a great skillful fighter like Floyd Mayweather and one with an incredible desire to win like Guerrero. Sometimes the desire to win makes a lot of difference in the fight. This fight can be a very intriguing fight”

In addition, top fighters from the past and present weighed in on Mayweather vs. Guerrero.

Nonito Donaire - “Robert has the heart of a warrior and it's a great fight for boxing. I have to go with Robert who's younger and fresher to win this fight."

Roberto Duran - “Styles make fights and this is a very interesting matchup. I feel Robert will pull off the upset."

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

I'm officially a hater of Mr. Guerrero Empty Re: I'm officially a hater of Mr. Guerrero

Post  Tobe Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:27 pm

Those comments from trainers and fighters are a bit of surprise to me; but I suppose Gurrero has a few things in his favor that could make a Mayweather fight interesting. Hardly seems like a "pick-em" though.

As for calling guys out and looking for a payday - I have no real issue with that as long as he's calling out the best. It's one thing to cherry pick against guys you can make money with and aren't a real threat; but you can't fault a guy for wanting to fight the best in the world. And it's called "prizefighting' for a reason, let the man get paid if he's willing to take the risks.

Does he deserve the shot? Probably not (and beating Mosley wouldn't prove much at this point) but I still don't mind him asking for it.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

I'm officially a hater of Mr. Guerrero Empty Re: I'm officially a hater of Mr. Guerrero

Post  dmar5143 Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:21 pm

captain i agree..saying you want a fight is one thing if you earned it with several wins against top fighters is one thing.its earning the right to say i deserve a title shot etc etc.for a payday only is nonsence.every fighter wants pac or floyd.earn it.get a real name and fan base by fighting.untill then STFU.
the toss up fight is mosley..see mosley is in demand because hes washed up.golden boys talking kahn even alvarez now this punk gets into the act.lose a few fights and you got a name everyone wants to fight you next.buzzards and a payday.mosley will make some good million dollar paydays for going threw the motions and talking like he can fight like before.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:31 pm

Tobe wrote:Those comments from trainers and fighters are a bit of surprise to me; but I suppose Gurrero has a few things in his favor that could make a Mayweather fight interesting. Hardly seems like a "pick-em" though.

As for calling guys out and looking for a payday - I have no real issue with that as long as he's calling out the best. It's one thing to cherry pick against guys you can make money with and aren't a real threat; but you can't fault a guy for wanting to fight the best in the world. And it's called "prizefighting' for a reason, let the man get paid if he's willing to take the risks.

Does he deserve the shot? Probably not (and beating Mosley wouldn't prove much at this point) but I still don't mind him asking for it.
the thing is that it is a problem. everybody calls out the cash cows (AKA pac and mayweather) because they are guaranteed a career high payday easily and if they lose, they wont lose credibility. guerrero isnt fighting the best in his weight class. ive never even considered guerrero as a champion in the least bit. he has never been the best in his weight class. if he had already fought good competition then i wouldnt mind it but he has done nothing to deserve a fight with mayweather. i would say that there are at least 20 fighters who deserve a shot at mayweather before guerrero.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:27 pm

Guerrero's resume at 130, 135, and 140:

Edel Ruiz- 30-21-4
Daud Yordan- No Contest, fight where alot of boxing fans questioned his heart as he was quick to allow the ref to stop it for a no contest. Contrast that behavior with Cotto not taking the easy victory against Clottey because of cut.
Malcolm Klassen-24-4-2

Hinojosa- 30-5-1
Robert David Arrieta-35-15-4
Escobedo-22-2
Katsidis-27-3

Casamayor

Let's be honest, his resume at 130 was not great.

At 135, there are others in the division who have done more, namely Rios, whose wins over Acosta, Antillon, Murray, and A. Peterson are better.

At 140, he has done nothing.

But this guy wants a shot at Mayweather, Pac, or a host of other guys at 147 or higher. HOw about fighting Rios to show us you are the man at 135? Or if you want to campaign at 140, there are alot of good fighters to face there (and old shot guys like Casamayor don't count).

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:14 pm

whoever is his publicist or his manager is a genius because this guy is ALL over boxing websites and has been really innactive.
i do feel for the guy though. he had a intriguing fight lined up against maidana but chino got hurt. Add to that the stress he's been under for years since they discovered that his wife has breast cancer. But the guy needs to get in the asap and just stfu.

btw i always like guerrero until diego came along.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down