The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hopkins-Dawson officially ruled a No-Contest

+3
NJBeatdown86
captainanddew
GrantZilla
7 posters

Go down

Hopkins-Dawson officially ruled a No-Contest Empty Hopkins-Dawson officially ruled a No-Contest

Post  GrantZilla Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:56 pm

Dan Rafael
Breaking: California commission overturns Hopkins-Dawson to a no contest.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Hopkins-Dawson officially ruled a No-Contest Empty Re: Hopkins-Dawson officially ruled a No-Contest

Post  captainanddew Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:29 pm

from Fat Dan's twitter:
Just spoke to both @THEREALBHOP and @OfficialBadChad about the decision. Dawson wants a rematch, Hopkins not interested. #boxing
10 minutes ago
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Hopkins-Dawson officially ruled a No-Contest Empty Re: Hopkins-Dawson officially ruled a No-Contest

Post  GrantZilla Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:19 pm

captainanddew wrote:from Fat Dan's twitter:
Just spoke to both @THEREALBHOP and @OfficialBadChad about the decision. Dawson wants a rematch, Hopkins not interested. #boxing
10 minutes ago

What's funny is, when Dawson was asked if he would give Hops a rematch he shot it down. Now he wants one
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:33 pm

I could have sworn Hops was wanting a Slappy Joe rematch the other day, Joe looks like he's ballooned up to over 200 now.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:14 pm

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:35 pm

NJBeatdown86 wrote:I could have sworn Hops was wanting a Slappy Joe rematch the other day, Joe looks like he's ballooned up to over 200 now.

Calzaghe is retired. If he balloons up who cares. Unless of course he goes Hamed or Ricky Hatton fat, then it is funny.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:24 am

captainanddew wrote:
NJBeatdown86 wrote:I could have sworn Hops was wanting a Slappy Joe rematch the other day, Joe looks like he's ballooned up to over 200 now.

Calzaghe is retired. If he balloons up who cares. Unless of course he goes Hamed or Ricky Hatton fat, then it is funny.

Doesn't matter as hes like most guys his age now, but Hop seems to believe he's going to go for a rematch. Won't happen, unless Joe has snorted his money away.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:05 am

GrantZilla wrote:
captainanddew wrote:from Fat Dan's twitter:
10 minutes ago

What's funny is, when Dawson was asked if he would give Hops a rematch he shot it down. Now he wants one
but that scenario was a bit different. i understand dawsons point of view because he felt like hopkins found a way out of the fight. now that hopkins has the title back, dawson wants it.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:12 am

The sanctioning body should order the rematch...period.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:25 am

Hopkins-Dawson: No Contest, No Rematch...No Problem

Bernard Hopkins versus Chad Dawson for the lineal light heavyweight championship of the world.

It was always a fight that was intriguing on paper from a historical context but threatened to bomb in the ring and at the box office.

Who exactly lands in the opposite corner for his next fight is not immediately known. The only thing for certain is that a rematch with Dawson is not in the cards – not next, and perhaps not ever.

“I have zero interest in putting together that fight again,” stated Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. His company co-promoted the October bout along with Dawson’s promoter, Gary Shaw. The show featured a respectable undercard, but most of whom were – along with the main event players – East Coast-based, therefore not at all enticing to the local Los Angeles market.

Hopkins himself has never proven to be a draw on his own, but has always managed to help bolster attendance on the road when matched right.

What’s left now for both fighters is an actual decision of where to go in their respective futures.

Immediately after the fight, Dawson was adamant in his refusal to grant Hopkins a rematch. He firmly believed that Hopkins sought the exits at the earliest possible moment, thus cheating paying fans out of their hard earned money. For Dawson himself, he felt that his own hard work in training for the fight ultimately proved to be a waste of time since the fight never really got going.

He has since changed his tune and would love for the chance to provide in-ring closure, though his handlers have braced for the reality of being forced to go a different route.

“I'm not exactly surprised at the verdict and I accept it,” states John Scully, who trained Dawson early in his career and reunited for this fight. “I wanted Chad and Bernard to fight to a definitive conclusion. I believe we would have won by a wide margin and that’s how I wanted to see (the fight) go. Anytime you win a world championship you want to win by either a decision or a stoppage.”

“Now I'm just hopeful we move on and get right back in the mix as soon as possible and at least get a fight for the interim title with Pascal until Bernard heals up and is ready to defend.”

Whenever Hopkins is able to return to the ring, there stands a great chance that his history with Dawson will be limited to what took place on October 15 and again in a California board room two months later.

“There is no public interest in a rematch and if so, there’s no point in pursuing it,” Schaefer insists, explaining the business side of such a fight. “I want to do fights that fill up venues and create interest in the boxing world.”

“The decision to not pursue a Dawson rematch is ours,” Schaefer explains. “Bernard left it up to us. He’s not the one ducking people. On the contrary, he goes to people’s hometowns, fighting younger fighters and beating them.

“It’s not a reflection of Dawson as a fighter – he’s very skilled and very strong. He’s just not very colorful and doesn’t generate any interest (at the box office).”

Bute remains just one of several possibilities, though Hopkins’ team remains tight-lipped until he’s able to resume training and a TV date can be solidified.

“I will be talking to HBO. Bernard wants to fight in March or April,” Schaefer reveals. “He likes to do meaningful events, so that is all I can say about his next fight – it will be along those lines.”

The decision rendered by the California State Athletic Commission on Tuesday means that Hopkins’ next event will come as a 47-year old fighter defending the light heavyweight crown.

http://tinyurl.com/c6ulddh
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Who should fight who at 175? I don't want Bute to get involved in any of that nonsense when he has the Super 6 winner lined up.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:50 pm

gomez1012 wrote:

+1

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:27 pm

Hopkins Ordered By The WBC To Face Dawson Again

Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas - At the WBC's 49th annual convention, the sanctioning body issued an order that requires light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins (52-5-2, 32KOs) to fight Chad Dawson (30-1, 17KOs) in a rematch.

The two boxers fought on October 15th at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. The fight came to an abrupt end in the second round, when Hopkins leaned over Dawson while charging in, and the challenger pushed him off. Hopkins fell to the mat and suffered a shoulder injury.

The injury prevented Hopkins from being able to continue, and the referee Pat Russell named Dawson as the winner by way of second round technical knockout. A few days later the WBC held a vote and their championship board disagreed with Russell's ruling. The title was returned to Hopkins.

On Tuesday, the California State Atheltic Commission granted an appeal filed by Golden Boy Promotions on behalf of Hopkins. The final outcome of his loss to Dawson was reversed and officially listed as a no-contest.

On Thursday morning, Dawson's promoter Gary Shaw, still steaming from Tuesday's ruling, made a sound case for an immediate rematch, which received approval from WBC president Jose Sulaiman and various board members who agreed with Shaw's position for the rematch.

In other news, WBC cruiserweight champion Krzysztof Wlodarczyk of Poland was ordered to have a rematch with top contender Francisco Palacios of Puerto Rico.

http://tinyurl.com/7fjlckz
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down