The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeff Lacy's Career Officially Over

+6
flapanther2001
gomez1012
Gumby
powerpuncher
Soonermark890
captainanddew
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jeff Lacy's Career Officially Over Empty Jeff Lacy's Career Officially Over

Post  captainanddew Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:24 pm

from fightnews:

Moments ago Philly vet Dhafir Smith (25-19-7, 4 KOs) won the biggest fight of his career by defeating former world champion Jeff Lacy (25-4, 17 KOs) by decision at Jannus Landing in St Petersburg, Florida.

Joe. C and shoulder injuries ruined him.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Jeff Lacy's Career Officially Over Empty Re: Jeff Lacy's Career Officially Over

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Sad that injuries end your career in that way huh?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:30 pm

when i first saw him fight years ago, i thought that he was going to be a good fighter. he ended up being pretty worthless.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:36 pm

One of the swiftest falls from grace I have ever witnessed.With Lacy I believe a lot of his problems were between his ears.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:38 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:One of the swiftest falls from grace I have ever witnessed.With Lacy I believe a lot of his problems were between his ears.

maybe. Calzaghe laid a beating on him and he physically never seemed 100% afterwards. he left a decent chunk of himself in the ring that night with Joe C.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:44 pm

He didn't have the best career, but I'll remember Lacy and for a time I was a fan. He brought some excitement to the sport. Too bad he couldn't figure it all out. Hope he saved some $.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:10 pm

i saw the results yesterday and said hes more then finished.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:18 pm

I thought it was over when he lost to Roy
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:20 pm

captainanddew wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:One of the swiftest falls from grace I have ever witnessed.With Lacy I believe a lot of his problems were between his ears.

maybe. Calzaghe laid a beating on him and he physically never seemed 100% afterwards. he left a decent chunk of himself in the ring that night with Joe C.

+1

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:29 pm

I was at the 2nd Tsypko fight, his first fight after the Calzaghe debacle, and he did not look good. I don't know if it was a hangover from JC or the shoulder, but he was gassed out after 6 or 7 rounds. I think his problem was dedication. He valued his strength more than training.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:44 pm

I guess its easy to figure out a fighters style when his best punch doubles as his nickname.

He split from Dan Birmingham and I think that's where his problems began.

He definitely has a career as a doorman or bouncer if he wants it.

hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:45 pm

Joe. C and shoulder injuries ruined him.

I was one of those "experts" who thought that Lacy was going to tear Joe Calzaghe a new asshole, boy was I ever wrong. Lacy started out as a damn good fighter, but Calzaghe was in a league all his own, (as much as I hated to admit it) after the loss/beatdown, Lacy was just never the same, and then injuries finished him off.. Like someone said, I hope he put a few dollars back for a rainy day.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:00 pm

Lacy's career ended when his corner refused to pull him out against Calzaghe.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:57 am

Agreed. Once he found someone he couldn't dominate, he seemed to look at the world in a different way.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:59 am

Frank wrote:
Agreed. Once he found someone he couldn't dominate, he seemed to look at the world in a different way.

Yeah, Lacy seemed to me like one of these guys who didn't get that just because you're the stronger and maybe more athletic guy in the contest you can still be beaten by superior boxing skill. Very one-dimensional, but there have been plenty of one-dimensional guys who have been sucessful making that one gift work. Just need that mental toughness.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:44 am

Tobe wrote:
Frank wrote:

Yeah, Lacy seemed to me like one of these guys who didn't get that just because you're the stronger and maybe more athletic guy in the contest you can still be beaten by superior boxing skill. Very one-dimensional, but there have been plenty of one-dimensional guys who have been sucessful making that one gift work. Just need that mental toughness.
Good point. I've noticed that fighters who depend on strength alone to win fights, but don't have the bully state of mind, are more effective. They don't see themselves as invincible, just a gifted puncher. Earnie Shavers was one of those guys. He took a few major setbacks and seem to come back after every one of them.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:21 pm

let's be honest about things here, Joe Calzaghe ruined Lacy's career. he killed Lacy's career and Lacy hasn't been relevant since then. Old as fuck Roy Jones KO'd him as well, this isn't surprising in the slightest anyway

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:16 pm

dbudge wrote:let's be honest about things here, Joe Calzaghe ruined Lacy's career. he killed Lacy's career and Lacy hasn't been relevant since then. Old as fuck Roy Jones KO'd him as well, this isn't surprising in the slightest anyway
Yeah, Joe beat him down. However, if he had mental fortitude, he could've come back from that.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:44 pm

Frank wrote:
dbudge wrote:let's be honest about things here, Joe Calzaghe ruined Lacy's career. he killed Lacy's career and Lacy hasn't been relevant since then. Old as fuck Roy Jones KO'd him as well, this isn't surprising in the slightest anyway
Yeah, Joe beat him down. However, if he had mental fortitude, he could've come back from that.

no way. taht fight was a complete psychological and physical beatdown. no way did Lacy ever imagine anybody could do that to him, particulary not a 34 year old guy he was meant to walk through. If Lacy's camp had got him out of there earlier then maybe he could have come back from that, but he was victim to a 36 minute public execution. Psychologically a fighter always has to have belief in their own ability to win a fight, the loss to Joe Calzaghe completely destroyed that notion for Lacy, it's not like it was a quick devestating KO, it was the manner of the defeat

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:54 pm

dbudge wrote:
Frank wrote:

no way. taht fight was a complete psychological and physical beatdown. no way did Lacy ever imagine anybody could do that to him, particulary not a 34 year old guy he was meant to walk through. If Lacy's camp had got him out of there earlier then maybe he could have come back from that, but he was victim to a 36 minute public execution. Psychologically a fighter always has to have belief in their own ability to win a fight, the loss to Joe Calzaghe completely destroyed that notion for Lacy, it's not like it was a quick devestating KO, it was the manner of the defeat

I have to agree that Joe absolutely ruined the guy.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:15 pm

^ +1

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Frank wrote:

he took an absolute pounding. Physically something was taken that night.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:02 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Frank wrote:

Fighters are built to take a physical beating, they do it in practice every day. It's the mental part that causes them to fight differently after a beat down.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:24 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
Frank wrote:

Fighters are built to take a physical beating, they do it in practice every day. It's the mental part that causes them to fight differently after a beat down.

Whatever Joe did to him it ruined him. Physically, mentally or both. Joe Calzaghe is the reason that Jeff Lacy began to decline.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:30 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
captainanddew wrote:
Frank wrote:

Whatever Joe did to him it ruined him. Physically, mentally or both. Joe Calzaghe is the reason that Jeff Lacy began to decline.
If that's the case then he wasn't very strong mentally. I've seen a gazillion fighters take beatings that bad or worse & still fight on & win. Case in point, Joe Gatti, Arturo's older brother. He had all the physical tools to be a good fighter, but he didn't like to get hit. On the other side of the coin, his brother thrived on the action.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next