The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pac vs. Cotto II has a weight issue, Floyd vs. Cotto doesn't

+2
captainanddew
dmar5143
6 posters

Go down

Pac vs. Cotto II has a weight issue, Floyd vs. Cotto doesn't Empty Pac vs. Cotto II has a weight issue, Floyd vs. Cotto doesn't

Post  Guest Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:40 pm

The race continues to secure the services of WBA 154-pound champion Miguel Cotto. Gabriel Peñagaricano, Cotto's legal advisor, is currently discussing two lucrative deals for the Puerto Rican star. Cotto could possibly face Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, or he could face Manny Pacquiao in a rematch on June 9th.

Cotto and his adviser held a meeting with Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum to finalize a deal to face Pacquiao, but the two sides were unable to reach an agreement. The main obstacle is the weight. Pacquiao refuses to fight above 147-pounds. Cotto would likely agree to a catch-weight of 150.

"It was a good meeting. We have a number of points that we need to discuss again and also we have to convince Manny to join the idea. The fight between Pacquiao and Cotto is what we want to see. There is still enough time to resolve the issues, so we'll talk again," Arum told Carlos Gonzalez.

When Pacquiao stopped Cotto in 2009, they fought at a catch-weight of 145-pounds. If Cotto decides to fight Mayweather, there wouldn't be an issue on the weight.

"The weight was one of the issues discussed," said Peñagaricano. "Both fighters are at different weights and they are separated by a few pounds. We are not pessimistic and we will continue talking. "[The Mayweather] fight is entirely feasible. We have also had several conversations with Mayweather's representatives and that is being evaluated. In that case there would be no weight issues."

http://www.boxingscene.com/pacquiao-cotto-held-up-by-weight-mayweather-not--48907

Fingers crossed for Mayweather vs. Cotto should the mega fight not happen.

Back to top Go down

Pac vs. Cotto II has a weight issue, Floyd vs. Cotto doesn't Empty Re: Pac vs. Cotto II has a weight issue, Floyd vs. Cotto doesn't

Post  dmar5143 Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:55 pm

cotto take the mayweather fight.fuck pac and his catchweight junk.great fighters dont need constant catchweights.this is not horseracing and a handicap race.for thoses who think pacs a top ten of all time a great overstatement read this.when robinson first fought lamotta he weighed 144 pounds jake 160.jake was 10 times the fighter cotto ever would be.that robinson at 144 would kill pac at 144 inside 3 rounds.does anyone here actualy think pac has the balls to get in the ring with jake weighting 160.he lacks balls fighting cotto at up to 154.
his bullshit is turning me who at one time was a big pac fan into a non fan.a cherry picker of the highest order.and a greedy one at that lately.
cotto do the honorable thing.fight floyd.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Pac vs. Cotto II has a weight issue, Floyd vs. Cotto doesn't Empty Re: Pac vs. Cotto II has a weight issue, Floyd vs. Cotto doesn't

Post  captainanddew Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:10 pm

so he was willing to face Margacheato where Cheato could come in at 150. But not Cotto.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:20 pm

dmar5143 wrote:cotto take the mayweather fight.fuck pac and his catchweight junk.great fighters dont need constant catchweights.this is not horseracing and a handicap race.for thoses who think pacs a top ten of all time a great overstatement read this.when robinson first fought lamotta he weighed 144 pounds jake 160.jake was 10 times the fighter cotto ever would be.that robinson at 144 would kill pac at 144 inside 3 rounds.does anyone here actualy think pac has the balls to get in the ring with jake weighting 160.he lacks balls fighting cotto at up to 154.
his bullshit is turning me who at one time was a big pac fan into a non fan.a cherry picker of the highest order.and a greedy one at that lately.

This happened to me a while ago. I got tired of his greedy ass and catchweights
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:49 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:cotto take the mayweather fight.fuck pac and his catchweight junk.great fighters dont need constant catchweights.this is not horseracing and a handicap race.for thoses who think pacs a top ten of all time a great overstatement read this.when robinson first fought lamotta he weighed 144 pounds jake 160.jake was 10 times the fighter cotto ever would be.that robinson at 144 would kill pac at 144 inside 3 rounds.does anyone here actualy think pac has the balls to get in the ring with jake weighting 160.he lacks balls fighting cotto at up to 154.

This happened to me a while ago. I got tired of his greedy ass and catchweights
ive never liked pac.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:32 pm

He isnt asking for a catchweight guys. He just wants to fight at his weight. I don't see the issue. If I'm cotto I turn it down.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:He isnt asking for a catchweight guys. He just wants to fight at his weight. I don't see the issue. If I'm cotto I turn it down.

Jesus, If Manny ran over an old lady you'd still defend him.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:He isnt asking for a catchweight guys. He just wants to fight at his weight. I don't see the issue. If I'm cotto I turn it down.

He made Cotto come to 145. Then he was willing to face Clottey at 147. Why? Because Clottey provided no threat. He fought Margarito at 150. Now he won't face Cotto at 150. Why? Because Cotto would be pretty strong at 150.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:58 pm

captainanddew wrote:

He made Cotto come to 145. Then he was willing to face Clottey at 147. Why? Because Clottey provided no threat. He fought Margarito at 150. Now he won't face Cotto at 150. Why? Because Cotto would be pretty strong at 150.

The Cotto at 145 is inexcusable but I think not facing him at 150 at this time makes sense. Pac's fight against Margarito proved to him and his handlers that he could not move up anymore. I think we all believe Pac could still make 140 with many people believing he could make 135 to this day. However, I agree with Cotto's right and decision to not face Manny. He should fight at 154 if he wants and can make just as much against Floyd.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:39 am

"I will not fight below 150 pounds. Mayweather Jr. said he has no problem going up to 154 to fight me. Pacquiao is the one who objected and wants me to once again come down to a weight between 145 and 147 pounds. If Pacquiao had no trouble going up to 150 to fight Margarito, why is there a set requirement for me to go down again? Does he fear me? If Pacquiao wants to fight me again, it must be above 150 pounds. I will not continue to sacrifice my body to lose weight," Cotto said.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:

The old bitch should get out of the street! Really though. Why? Because I dont bash him constantly like you do! I just said he isn't asking for a catchweight which he isn't. Cotto just needs to turn it down. Plain and simple. Let cotto fight floyd. You guys act as if PAC should accommodate the challenger. No he is the champ and if you want the champs title you have to accommodate him not the other way around!
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:

The old bitch should get out of the street! Really though. Why? Because I dont bash him constantly like you do! I just said he isn't asking for a catchweight which he isn't. Cotto just needs to turn it down. Plain and simple. Let cotto fight floyd. You guys act as if PAC should accommodate the challenger. No he is the champ and if you want the champs title you have to accommodate him not the other way around!
...sooner cotto is also considered a champ.to fight at lets say 147 puts cottos title at risk.so if pac not cotto wants to fight the champ per your statement dont make demands.cotto by saying no to 147 says im not interested in pacs title.i cant make the weight without suffering.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Soonermark890 wrote: You guys act as if PAC should accommodate the challenger. No he is the champ and if you want the champs title you have to accommodate him not the other way around!

This is why trinkets will never go away. Here you are calling Pac a Champ for having the joke WBO trinket. He isn't a fucking Champ. Neither is Cotto.

But yet again trinkets don't mean anything unless it's a fighter you like, then they are legit.

Paul Williams vacated the WBO trinket because nobody at Welter would fight him, and Cotto won it against fucking Michael Jennings! Then Pac got it and has not faced a single WBO manditory.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:05 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote: You guys act as if PAC should accommodate the challenger. No he is the champ and if you want the champs title you have to accommodate him not the other way around!

This is why trinkets will never go away. Here you are calling Pac a Champ for having the joke WBO trinket. He isn't a fucking Champ. Neither is Cotto.

But yet again trinkets don't mean anything unless it's a fighter you like, then they are legit.

Paul Williams vacated the WBO trinket because nobody at Welter would fight him, and Cotto won it against fucking Michael Jennings! Then Pac got it and has not faced a single WBO manditory.

Pac is the closest thing we have to a champ at 147. So let me rephrase this so you dont go off on another trinket rant LOL. Pac is the number one P4P fighter and the best fighter over the last 10 years, He is the money maker in this fight and Cotto if he wants the fight will have to give in to his demands not the other way around. Because Cotto doesnt have a leg to stand on since he also has been KO'd by Pac before.

I personally dont really want to see it again I want Floyd but Cotto would be more fun than Boring ass Bradley.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:08 am

dmar5143 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

...sooner cotto is also considered a champ.to fight at lets say 147 puts cottos title at risk.so if pac not cotto wants to fight the champ per your statement dont make demands.cotto by saying no to 147 says im not interested in pacs title.i cant make the weight without suffering.
Im glad Cotto said no. I hope he doesnt fight Pac. I want to see him in with Floyd instead. But really though I was just pointing out that it isnt a catchweight this time. Also Cotto is not really in a position to make demands.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:19 am

Soonermark890 wrote: Also Cotto is not really in a position to make demands.

Sure he is. PPV diva Pac is running out of guys that can help him sell a PPV. Cotto can fight Mayweather. And the PPV will do better than Pac vs Nobody Bradley.

Cotto is the only opponent outside Mayweather that brings something to the table. Unless Pac fights Canelo, which will never happen. And Canelo won't fight at 147
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:29 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote: Also Cotto is not really in a position to make demands.

Sure he is. PPV diva Pac is running out of guys that can help him sell a PPV. Cotto can fight Mayweather. And the PPV will do better than Pac vs Nobody Bradley.

Cotto is the only opponent outside Mayweather that brings something to the table. Unless Pac fights Canelo, which will never happen. And Canelo won't fight at 147
Pac could fight a real bum they get off the street and it wouldnt matter its going to make a ton of money. It might not do as well as Cotto vs Floyd but really who cares. JMM vs Pac might do better than Cotto anyways.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:45 am

Soonermark890 wrote:Pac could fight a real bum they get off the street and it wouldnt matter its going to make a ton of money. It might not do as well as Cotto vs Floyd but really who cares. JMM vs Pac might do better than Cotto anyways.

Pac-JMM 4 would not do as well. It's a "been there done that" fight. Most people will know it'll be another close fight that JMM will not get the decision.

Mayweather-Cotto is a fresh match-up. It'll do well, and pretty much destroy any chance of Pac ever getting a 50/50 cut if he wants to fight Mayweather.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:26 am

a few thoughts.1.if pac wants the fight at 147 that is a catchweight for cotto.anytime you ask a fighter in another class to drop down in weight that is a version of catchweight.cotto is in a position to negotiate from fairness. thoses are not demands.hes the third biggest moneymaker ppv wise and draw at the gate in boxing fighting in the usa.cotto does not need pac to make money or make more money then the pac camp is offering.he proved that with the margo ppv and sell out of the garden.
if pac fights bradley and cotto fights floyd the floyd fight will outdraw the pac fight by as much as 500 000 ppvs.that kills any notion of a 50-50 split which isnt going to happen or any close version of it like 51-49 52-48 53-47..it puts floyd in the drivers seat and i dont think he will say ok to 55-45.its 60-40 or nothing and the result will be nothing.the very tiny chance of that fight happening is out the window.thats reality.cotto brings a lot to the table .bradley brings nothing.floyd can end his career on a high note by fighting cotto then martinez even if he gets beat by sergio then maybe alvarez making him at least 120 million dollars.pac fights arums bread crumbs like bradley maybe maybe rios or ugh peterson.any way i look at it floyd outdoes pac and gains some public respect.pac does not.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:06 am

I pretty much agree with what you said Dmar.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Floyd wont fight Sergio or Canelo. The guy takes zero chances. Hell I am still not sure he fights Cotto yet. Personally I really would as a boxing fan like to see Floyd vs Cotto and Pac vs JMM. Then they fight in Novemeber. Thats the ideal situation at this point.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down