The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight an issue for Andre Berto vs Victor Ortiz

3 posters

Go down

Weight an issue for Andre Berto vs Victor Ortiz Empty Weight an issue for Andre Berto vs Victor Ortiz

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:54 am

Discussions continue for a possible match between WBC welterweight titlist Andre Berto (27-0, 21KOs) and junior welterweight contender Victor Ortiz (28-2-2, 22 KOs). Berto vs. Ortiz would take place on April 16 as part of an HBO televised split-site doubleheader, with WBA junior welterweight king Amir Khan (24-1, 17 KOs) appearing in the co-headliner from the MEN Arena in Manchester.

While the financials terms have yet to be finalized, BoxingScene.com has been advised that Ortiz's request for a catch-weight is still the main issue at hand. Ortiz's management had made a request for a catch-weight of 143-pounds. I've been told Ortiz is willing to budge by a pound or two in Berto's direction, but the champion is still standing his ground on the fight being held at the full welterweight limit of 147-pounds.

http://www.boxingscene.com/berto-vs-ortiz-catch-weight-request-still-an-issue--35357

Back to top Go down

Weight an issue for Andre Berto vs Victor Ortiz Empty Re: Weight an issue for Andre Berto vs Victor Ortiz

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:57 am

Good for Berto. If Ortiz wants to fight, let him come to welter.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Weight an issue for Andre Berto vs Victor Ortiz Empty Re: Weight an issue for Andre Berto vs Victor Ortiz

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:01 am

flapanther2001 wrote:Good for Berto. If Ortiz wants to fight, let him come to welter.

+1

Victor might as well just move up since he keeps claiming making 140lb is becoming difficult.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:03 am

Ali wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:Good for Berto. If Ortiz wants to fight, let him come to welter.

+1

Victor might as well just move up since he keeps claiming making 140lb is becoming difficult.
Ortiz' chin will never handle welters.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:05 am

flapanther2001 wrote:
Ali wrote:

+1

Ortiz' chin will never handle welters.

True, but moving up in weight might also improve it eg Cotto, Khan.

Chin aside Ortiz has the frame and power to compete at 147lb, he could possibly win a trinket there.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:07 am

Ortiz should petition the WBC create another weight class for him since he cant make 140 and doesn't want to fight at '47.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:09 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:Ortiz should petition the WBC create another weight class for him since he cant make 140 and doesn't want to fight at '47.

The WBC brass belt !!

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:05 am

If I'm Ortiz I just come in at 144. Berto is going to weigh in at his usual 145 or 145 1/2. I don't take the fight unless the payday is much greater than a fight at 140.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:08 am

captainanddew wrote:

If I'm Ortiz I just come in at 144. Berto is going to weigh in at his usual 145 or 145 1/2. I don't take the fight unless the payday is much greater than a fight at 140.
..ill agree to a certain degree..take the fight.if you win theres potential mega buck fights out there at 147..pac floyd alvarez for example..at 140 he doesnt command a big money fight outside of a maidana rematch..

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down