The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th

+9
gomez1012
UBeeg9cats
nano212
Soonermark890
GrantZilla
Gumby
SlickMoney
hardcorebee24
dmar5143
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th Empty Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th

Post  Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:52 pm

During his licensing hearing in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Wednesday in Las Vegas, welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. told the panel under questioning that he had a deal in place to face junior middleweight titlist Miguel Cotto on May 5 at the MGM Grand.

Mayweather was ordered to appear before the commission for a hearing so the commissioners could ask him questions about the criminal case he recently made a plea deal in.

The commissioners are expected to vote on his license application at the hearing.

Mayweather faces an 87-day jail sentence at the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas after a plea deal on domestic violence charges related to a September 2010 incident with his ex-girlfriend, who is also the mother of three of his children.

Mayweather was supposed to begin his sentence on Jan. 6, but the judge in the case, Justice of the Peace Judge Melissa Saragosa, deferred his report date to June 1 after his attorney, Richard Wright, successfully argued that he should be allowed to fight on May 5 in order to honor an existing deal with the MGM Grand and because a Mayweather fight would inject $100 million into the ailing Las Vegas economy.

The deal between Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) and Cotto does not come as surprise. With a much-anticipated fight between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao off the table at least until the fall, Mayweather-Cotto is widely considered the next biggest fight he could take. Junior middleweight titlist Saul "Canelo" Alvarez was also considered a leading candidate to face Mayweather.

Mayweather-Cotto also means that Pacquiao, who intends to fight June 9, will not be facing Cotto in a rematch. Pacquiao-Cotto II was one of the potential fights Pacquiao and his promoter, Bob Arum, had discussed. The leading candidate to face Pacquiao in June is junior welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley Jr.

Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs) had been promoted by Top Rank for his entire career but his contract recently expired. If the fight with Mayweather goes through it will be the first fight of his career without Top Rank's involvement.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7528712/floyd-mayweather-jr-fight-miguel-cotto-license-approved

Last edited by Hagler's Bald Head on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th

Post  dmar5143 Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:12 pm

i love it.congrats floyd n cotto.fuck arum.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th

Post  Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Dan Rafael
For the record, Floyd will be challenging Cotto for his 154-pound title. #boxing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Dan Rafael
Commission votes 5-0 to grant Mayweather a one-fight license. Mayweather-Cotto on May 5. It's on. #boxing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Dan Rafael
Interesting to note that the Mayweather-Cotto press release says the fight will be live on PPV but does not indicate which network. #boxing

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:
Dan Rafael
Interesting to note that the Mayweather-Cotto press release says the fight will be live on PPV but does not indicate which network. #boxing

If they get the networks in a PPV bidding war then they are geniuses.

Floyd late round stoppage.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:52 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Dan Rafael

That looks like Haymon's work.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:55 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Dan Rafael

Whoevers idea it is its smart.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:57 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
Dan Rafael

It might not even be a tactical ploy, it's no secret that Haymon's grasp on HBO is slipping and that he's started to favor Showtime's new exec.

Still Floyd not fighting on HBO seems odd to me.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Slipping or not, HBO wont want to lose this PPV, especially when they see who Pac's potential opponent is. This fight sells itself, HBO and showtime will shell out big bucks.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:07 pm

I think we all know how this will play out but it'll be interesting to see.

So now Floyd is willing to pay sanctioning fees for Cotto's WBA belt but had no intentions to pay for when he fought Shane?
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:12 pm

SlickMoney wrote:I think we all know how this will play out but it'll be interesting to see.

So now Floyd is willing to pay sanctioning fees for Cotto's WBA belt but had no intentions to pay for when he fought Shane?
..slick im not sure how that works.i think the champ pays the fees only.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Could be a legacy thing or another penis measuring thing with Manny to say I've won more titles than you.

Either way at least Floyd will have a healthy Cotto to challenge him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:I think we all know how this will play out but it'll be interesting to see.

..slick im not sure how that works.i think the champ pays the fees only.

I believe both fighters have to pay a sanction fee dmar. At least that's how it used to work.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:44 pm

Dan Rafael
RT @FloydMayweather: I'm fighting Miguel Cotto on May 5th because Miss Pac Man is ducking me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm

No complaints. It should be a good fight. I hope it's at 150-154 and that Pac fights JMM at 147. I'll take Floyd by UD. I doubt he stops Cotto.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:33 pm

Gumby wrote:No complaints. It should be a good fight. I hope it's at 150-154 and that Pac fights JMM at 147. I'll take Floyd by UD. I doubt he stops Cotto.

It's been confirmed that it will be at 154lb for Cotto's trinket.

Floyd however said he might weigh under the limit like he did for the Oscar fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:38 pm

"Floyd's already the best fighter in the world," Ellerbe said. "What is he going to prove by winning the WBA title? He's going to give up 3% of his purse (to the WBA) to prove that?

"When it comes down to it, spending several hundred thousand dollars to call yourself the champion when you're already the best fighter in the world is not a smart business move."

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Boring! I just don't see why anyone is excited about this fight?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:48 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:Boring! I just don't see why anyone is excited about this fight?

Because its at 154 not a catchweight like Pacquiao insisted.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:00 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
Dan Rafael

It might not even be a tactical ploy, it's no secret that Haymon's grasp on HBO is slipping and that he's started to favor Showtime's new exec.

Still Floyd not fighting on HBO seems odd to me.

HBO sells PPVs better than Showtime. This is why Arum took Pac back to HBO. He only took Pac to Showtime to fuck over Greenberg.

Mayweather not going to leave HBO, even if Hayman wants him to.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:03 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:Boring! I just don't see why anyone is excited about this fight?

Cotto made the right move in taking this fight with PBF, like stated above he will not be forced to drop weight and he will make a nice payday out of this! If PBF lets him weigh at the jr middle limit and there really is no catch weight like 150lbs It makes Pac and Roach look bad IMO!
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:23 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:

Like that matters? The fight will be the exact same no matter what weight they fight at. This fight has little appeal to me. The difference between cotto fighting Pac vs Floyd is Pac is exciting Floyd isn't. This matchup doesn't excite me much.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:49 pm

first guys pac did not want a catchweight of 150 pounds to fight cotto.he wanted cotto to fight at 147 pounds which is worse.at 147 floyd i feel had beaten the best in that division outside of pac in ortiz.there isnt a big fight there for him.cotto or alvarez both are big fights for floyd and the best opposition for him.he chose cotto at 154 not 147.you can view that if you like as a step up for floyd where as pac wanted cotto to step down to a weight below a catchweight.
second this seals for sure a no fight with pac.if alvarez joins the ppv card this fight blows away the pac-bradley fight by 600 000 ppvs.50-50 is out the window for sure.pac would be lucky to get 60-40.that he wont take.case closed fights out the window.if floyd wins alvarez is next for another mega ppv.
pac and arum where totaly outsmarted by floyd and PR wise floyd is the winner.hatred runs so deep with arum and total control also that he could not say yes to may 5..pac showed no balls with arum.hes bobs studge and why not bobs making him money by fighting also rans.he could of said publicaly to arum come to the philipines with one name only.floyd.
much to cottos credit he saw that he was going to be used as a pawn by bob and he turned the tables on arum after they said its cotto..cotto said nope not at 147.
the cotto fight interests me a whole lot more than the bradley fight.the public will also feel the same way and will prove it by buying floyds fight well over pacs.floyd used bobs hatred and made a fool out of pac and bob.i dont like floyd at all but hats off to him.hats off to him for saying yes at 154.and for fighting the best fighter out there for him.if he wins and alvarez wins there next.and at 154..pac can look for peterson or morales again.surely he didnt say ill fight the best out there since floyd and cotto are fighting each other.ortiz is avalible.but not at 144 maybe...or 143.this is coming from a pac fan.take some advise from kahn and grow some balls.you tell arum whos next not the other way around.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:21 pm

If dmar is right about Canelo being next, Floyd is a couple fights away from grabbing the lineal title at 154. That would match Pac's 4 as the most ever. I'd be interested to see what it does to the 147 lb division. Does Pac possibly fight the Berto-Ortiz winner or is he stuck with TR fights? I think with Berto's connections with Lou and Haymon as well as Ortiz's with GBP, the fight would be difficult to make. On a STL note, Aydin might finally get to fight for the WBC belt against Devon Alexander Twisted Evil

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next