The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOXING GREATS RARELY TALKED ABOUT.TONY CANZANERI

2 posters

Go down

BOXING GREATS RARELY TALKED ABOUT.TONY CANZANERI Empty BOXING GREATS RARELY TALKED ABOUT.TONY CANZANERI

Post  dmar5143 Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:29 pm

talk about a true all time great its tony.feather champ lighweight champ jr welter champ all lineal titles plus tony would rank in the 10 ten in all thoses divisions in the all time rankings..perhaps top 5 in some for sure.i have a special foundness for tony since tony was the first fighter i ever had a one to one talk with..it was yankee statium and i was 10 years old or so..i said to my dad look theres edward g robinson the actor..my dad laughed and said no thats the great fighter tony canzaneri.are you sure dad.yep my father said saw him fight about 20 times.dispite my father saying dont bother him i went up to tony and told him what my dad and i said..tony in his best robinson immitation said yeah kid im tony canzaneri..
well tony was a great in a era where divisions were loaded with all time greats real hofamers and several top fighters that should be in the hall like my old friend bushy graham who fought tony..
at 5 foot 4 short reach etc etc tony beat about a dozen hall of famers ande 30-35 ranked guys in that loaded era..now thats a RESUME.
tony fought with his hands down.martinez does that now but thats where the similarity ends.tony had so many things going for him he makes martinez look like a also-ran..tony was real world champ at 17-18 in that loaded era..lol forget alvarez or guys considered young today.
175 fights tony had a great chin being stoped only once in his last fight by unbeaten slugger welter al bummy davis...hand speed that makes kahn and floyd look like slow motion.great jab left hook uppercut straight right hand body punching flawless footwork fast reflexes. .tony did everything extremly well..blessed with incredible athletic abilty ala roy jones martinez tony had also great skill and tons of talent..you missed tony made you pay everytime.
today we marvel at guys who beat 5 top fighters.lol.tony beat 50 top fighters that had more talent far more talent then todays fighters.realy.
my talk with tony was just boxing as well talked about fighters he fought.he was shocked that a ten year old knew about him and fighters..i told him my dad saw all the greats and told me about them plus lol i read ring magazine..i asked if he ever sees any old tim ers he said i run into barney ross at times and the conversation always starts by me saying barney i want a rematch.barney knew i loved his reply which always was sorry tony i cant make the weight anymore.
guys -please dont ignore or go without some knowledge of the greats that made boxing a top tier sport.in that regard tony surely is one of the greats that made boxing what it was in its golden eras..like robinson pep greb joe gans and others they broke the mold when they made tony and thoses guys..to me tony was and is one special fighter.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

BOXING GREATS RARELY TALKED ABOUT.TONY CANZANERI Empty Re: BOXING GREATS RARELY TALKED ABOUT.TONY CANZANERI

Post  Frank Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:07 am

Great piece, dmar. Thanks for writing it.

Frank

Back to top Go down

BOXING GREATS RARELY TALKED ABOUT.TONY CANZANERI Empty Re: BOXING GREATS RARELY TALKED ABOUT.TONY CANZANERI

Post  dmar5143 Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:31 am

thanks frank.im glad you enjoyed it..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down