The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE KEED. GREAT FROM THE PAST RARELY TALKED ABOUT

3 posters

Go down

THE KEED. GREAT FROM THE PAST RARELY TALKED ABOUT Empty THE KEED. GREAT FROM THE PAST RARELY TALKED ABOUT

Post  dmar5143 Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:04 am

frank asked a question can todays fighters reach a level of greatness like fighters of the past.my anser was yes and no.manny pac floyd and bo hop are in my list of ATG.to me thats the top 100.all 3 have reached a level wehere i call a complete fighter which is rare today where it was common place in the 50s and early 60s.to me only bo hop has reached very close to the level of greatness of the past.
floyd has not.manny comes close in a differnt way..the keed is kid gavilin..hes not in my top 100 of all time but is a real genuine HOF whereas discussions today of who will make the hall is surounded by fighters i feel are far from worthy.lets talk about the kid in detail..first he had a record of 108-30-5.many of todays fans will snicker at that..realy.the kid well past his peak lost 17 fights in his last 4 years.thats just losses.who beat him..hmmm.the top fighters like gasper ortega vince martinez del flanagan the journeymans journeyman tiger jones and a few other good fighters.every fighter that beat him was a complete fighter.
the kid had one of histories truly great chins.143 fights never stoped and knockdown only once..by basilio who could hit big time.no one in boxing history fought the huge good comjpetion in numbers like the kid and had a greater chin.not ali not marciano my fav fighter not chuvalo or any top fighter you can name with a great chin..
who did the kid fight.9 legit real champs for one.ike williams 3 times tommy bell robinson twice beau jack twice tony demarco saxton olsen bratton twice and basilio..some great sluggers on that list also.6 legit real HOFAMERS by my standreds..the kid could box dance excelent defense fantastic combo puncher awsome counter puncher..

who else did he fight.well he was the first to beat gil turner who was 32-0 and in his prime turner was the equal to todays shane mosley.he also was the first to beat tv darling chuck davey who had over 35 fights..top fighters the kid fought also wererocky casellani twice dauthville twice billy graham 4 times yama bahama tiger jones 3 times gasper ortega vince martinez del flanagan fuentes chico vejar edwardo lausee twice bobby dykes twice durando carier tony janoiro patty young eugene hairston villeman.
the kid fought al;l thoses fighters when they were in there prime.several were middles while the kiid was a welter several could hit like a mean mule and several were complete fighters..
thats just a parial list of 30 top fighters the kid fought in there prime and he was down only once.
yes times do change and not for the best.dispite the fact the kid fought some 30 plus fights when he was well past his peak he was never stoped and down only once.think about that.
the kid was not a ATG not in the top 100 on my list but achieved a level of greatness in the upper tier.
ive seen the keed fight many many times and it wasnt on youtube.fight against fighers ive also seen many times that were realy good some near great several were truly great ones.take my word for it please.
so the next time someone touts a raffy marquez or even a mosley as a lock for the hall think again.think of the keed who was a typical fighter of the 40s and 50s but he earned his way into the hall.
gavilin also has earned the right to be talked about and not in just a passing way..hes another great thats rarely disgussed..guys lets enjoy tonights fight.weather we like him or not we will see a fighter who EARNED the right to be called a hofamer in bo-hop.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

THE KEED. GREAT FROM THE PAST RARELY TALKED ABOUT Empty Re: THE KEED. GREAT FROM THE PAST RARELY TALKED ABOUT

Post  powerpuncher Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:03 pm

i agree. kid gavilan is amazing. its amazing how a chin can hold up as well as his did. nobody has the style of gavilan anymore. the way he throws his punches is completely different than anyone today. he threw that hook/uppercut that he said he learned in cuba from cutting crops. if he were a welterweight today, he would give pac and mayweather heck. im not sure if either one would fight him though.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

THE KEED. GREAT FROM THE PAST RARELY TALKED ABOUT Empty Re: THE KEED. GREAT FROM THE PAST RARELY TALKED ABOUT

Post  Frank Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:13 pm

powerpuncher wrote:i agree. kid gavilan is amazing. its amazing how a chin can hold up as well as his did. nobody has the style of gavilan anymore. the way he throws his punches is completely different than anyone today. he threw that hook/uppercut that he said he learned in cuba from cutting crops. if he were a welterweight today, he would give pac and mayweather heck. im not sure if either one would fight him though.
I'm a big Gavilan fan. My fav fight of his was against someone named "Gil Turner" (I think that's his name.). I love that fight.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:34 pm

frank good fight.i mentioned gil tuner in my post whoi in his prime was one hell of a fighter.unfortunetly turner like many in that era fought dozens n dozens of fights when they should of called it a day.turner could do it all and when gavilin fought and beat him gill was 32-0..that fight is an example of 2 fighters doing everything exceptionaly well.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:39 pm

powerpuncher i dont know how old you are.i suspect your young under 30 but it truly is a pleasure for me to see both you and frank know learn and study fighters from boxings history.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:49 pm

dmar5143 wrote:powerpuncher i dont know how old you are.i suspect your young under 30 but it truly is a pleasure for me to see both you and frank know learn and study fighters from boxings history.
I appreciate it, dmar. I'll never forget the Turner fight. The funny thing was they were both wearing processed hair. When they got into it, their hair was going absolutely wild. LOL Turner was also lightening fast and I don't know why he didn't employ more movement. By the way, I'm not that old, dmar. I watched the fight on ESPN's "Boxing Classics." LOL

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:51 pm

dmar5143 wrote:powerpuncher i dont know how old you are.i suspect your young under 30 but it truly is a pleasure for me to see both you and frank know learn and study fighters from boxings history.
im only 23. haha. i love kid gavilan though. he is one of my favorite old fighters because he is so exciting.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down