The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIGHTERS WITH GREAT CHINS RARELY MENTIONED

+5
Gumby
gomez1012
boxinglawyer
flapanther2001
Frank
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

FIGHTERS WITH GREAT CHINS RARELY MENTIONED Empty FIGHTERS WITH GREAT CHINS RARELY MENTIONED

Post  Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:31 pm

when the topic of great chins comes up we naturaly round up the usual suspects.jake lamotta ali marciano chuvalo basilio and a few deserving others..yes sometimes included are guys who realy were never tested rarely hit on the button or faced crap competion..folks nots not a great chin...heres a few that truly had great chins in my book and the last name may surprize you.its time they got credit.1.billy graham..fought several top welters and middles in his career of 126 fights.the uncrowned welter champ was never stoped nor ever knock down in 126 fights2.kid gaviln .he just fought the whos who in boxing.120 fights never stoped and down only once by carmen basilio..and thats no shame3. gene tunney.almost 70 fights and fought excellent competion never stoped and down only once by dempsey.dempsey.enough said huh..4. my suprize.tony galento..yep they didnt call him tough tony for nothing.first i have to say of all the well known top fighters of all time galento gets my vote for the most unskilled fighter ever amoung them..wide open easy to hit no footwork not an once of defense and rarely trained.galento owned a bar and drank beer with the cutomers and more then once finished his last beer at 6 pm took off his bar apron and said see you guys later.i gotta fight at the garden tonight.thats how tony trained.how did he fight.well he could punch like a motherf..he hit you low 10 times head butt you 3 thumb you once run the laces across your eyes and thats just in one round.if i were in a alley and 4 thugs approcahed me tony is my choice to be with me.hes was that tough.he gave no quater asked for none.you can headbutt me also hit me low lets fucking fight..in 80 fights he was down only once by joe louis.not max bear who hit him with a 100 sunday punches nor buddy baer who did the same nor others..he lost a few on cuts yes..all theses fighters fought in a era where they let you fight.no bullshit stopage when hit once.no premature crap no candy ass safety rulkes..bring it on..there records and that era of lets fight dam what chins these guys had.

Back to top Go down

FIGHTERS WITH GREAT CHINS RARELY MENTIONED Empty Re: FIGHTERS WITH GREAT CHINS RARELY MENTIONED

Post  Frank Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:03 pm

Good thread, dmar. I'd add Hagler to the list.

Frank

Back to top Go down

FIGHTERS WITH GREAT CHINS RARELY MENTIONED Empty Re: FIGHTERS WITH GREAT CHINS RARELY MENTIONED

Post  Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:04 pm

hagler yep a great chin but marvin has been given credit for that several times here and elsewhere.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:07 pm

dmar5143 wrote:hagler yep a great chin but marvin has been given credit for that several times here and elsewhere.
What about Michael McCallum? I don't recall ever hearing compliments about his pain threshold, yet I can't recall him being down or stopped in any fight.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:19 pm

It was once said of Aaron Pryor "If there's a stronger chin than Pryor's, it's on Mt. Rushmore."
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:31 pm

frank perfect.the body snatcher fought some awsome punchers and top fighters..i dont recall him getting decked either.julius jack son curry toney dwitght braxton and others..hes old school.

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:25 pm

Great topic!

Mike McCallum was rocked in his fight with Julian Jackson and Sumbu kalambay wobbled him briefly with an uppercut in the 2nd fight. A few months after his 40th birthday Roy Jones Jr. decked him with a perfect, flush, right hand for a count of 2. That was it for Mike despite having a career of fighting very damned good fighters.

Chris Eubank took some hellacious bombs in his prime.

I wont mention guys like Cobb and Mercer who always get mentioned, but what about Oliver McCall? Dude was never down and faced Tyson in his prime on a daily basis. He also took EVERYTHING Lennox Lewis could throw and never even noticed he was getting hit. Lewis was very nervous about McCall according to Steward, which means he was TERRIFIED of him. Very Happy

Azumah Nelson had a beard as solid as any you will ever find.

My favorite fighter of recent years, Ricardo Lopez, carried an anvil on his neck. Only down ONCE in his career and that was against a guy 3 weight classes above him!!

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:27 pm

boxinglawyer wrote: Great topic!

Mike McCallum was rocked in his fight with Julian Jackson and Sumbu kalambay wobbled him briefly with an uppercut in the 2nd fight. A few months after his 40th birthday Roy Jones Jr. decked him with a perfect, flush, right hand for a count of 2. That was it for Mike despite having a career of fighting very damned good fighters.

Chris Eubank took some hellacious bombs in his prime.

I wont mention guys like Cobb and Mercer who always get mentioned, but what about Oliver McCall? Dude was never down and faced Tyson in his prime on a daily basis. He also took EVERYTHING Lennox Lewis could throw and never even noticed he was getting hit. Lewis was very nervous about McCall according to Steward, which means he was TERRIFIED of him. Very Happy

Azumah Nelson had a beard as solid as any you will ever find.

My favorite fighter of recent years, Ricardo Lopez, carried an anvil on his neck. Only down ONCE in his career and that was against a guy 3 weight classes above him!!

daaayum affraid
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:47 pm

De La Hoya had a great chin. I don't hear him mentioned often.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:46 am

Gumby wrote:De La Hoya had a great chin. I don't hear him mentioned often.
thats a good one. he was got knocked down by quartay and who else? he was KO'd by Bhop but that was to the body so that doesnt really count as a bad chin. he fought some good punchers too.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:28 am

powerpuncher wrote:
Gumby wrote:De La Hoya had a great chin. I don't hear him mentioned often.
thats a good one. he was got knocked down by quartay and who else? he was KO'd by Bhop but that was to the body so that doesnt really count as a bad chin. he fought some good punchers too.

Tito probably woulda knocked him if Oscar didn't run the last few rounds Twisted Evil

all jokes aside he had a chin

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:50 am

Billy Graham was never off his feet in 126 fights!This guy hardly ever gets mentioned.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:23 am

Scott LeDoux.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:43 am

WinstonSmith wrote:Billy Graham was never off his feet in 126 fights!This guy hardly ever gets mentioned.
...billy was the first name i mentioned in the thread.i agree..frankon scott you must be joking.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:36 am

dmar5143 wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:Billy Graham was never off his feet in 126 fights!This guy hardly ever gets mentioned.
...billy was the first name i mentioned in the thread.i agree..frankon scott you must be joking.
Well hell, his chin holds up better than Duane Bobicks. LOL: I'm having trouble coming up with little known fighters with great chins.

Most of the time (and this is just my take), a great chin has a little psychology behind it. If a man is competitive in a fight, he may just take a better punch because he knows he has a chance to win. Compare this to the guy who takes a beating every time at bat, and though he may possess the ability to take punches, he just doesn't feel like it anymore and I don't blame him. Most fighters who take a great punch are known for doing other great things like "fighting great." This is a good thread, but it's rather difficult to produce answers.

For instance, you mentioned, George Chuvalo. Well, I agree that George had a great chin. He was also a very credible fighter who gave some of the best who ever did it pure hell. I liked Alexis Arguello's chin, however he was another great fighter. Jose Luis Ramirez had a great chin and though he couldn't fight talented boxers, he gave bombers like Edwin Rosario hell by surviving their bombs and coming back to take them out. However, Jose Ramirez was a respected World Champion during his day who could punch as well as he could take a punch.

I guess my point is that it's difficult for me to isolate fighters who had the "ability to take a punch" but can do little else. Most guys who took punches were just damn good all around fighters.

Also, I define the ability to take a punch as someone who remains competitive through out the match. I don't see the point of a man getting his head beat off for 15 or 12 rounds.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:56 am

frank lol actualy bobick and scott fought.bobick decked scott twice wining inside the distance.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:13 am

foremer LH champ willie pastrano was another.in 83 fights he was down once by a body shot in his last fight.willie was a cleaver cutie with a excellent chin.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:15 pm

dmar5143 wrote:

You did indeed.It was very late or early when I made that post.
In his prime,Oscar Bonavena was stopped only once(Ali of all people).He absolutely gave Frazier fits and should have been given the decision in their first fight.
Would Gerry Penalosa count?
Hamsho had a good beard and was as tough as they came.

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:21 pm

how about george foreman? i dont think that he gets much recognition for his chin. the only times that he was down was to ali and ellis and those were both more out of exhaustion than actually being hurt.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:23 pm

powerpuncher wrote:how about george foreman? i dont think that he gets much recognition for his chin. the only times that he was down was to ali and ellis and those were both more out of exhaustion than actually being hurt.

+1

Bernard Hopkins
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Floyd Mayweather Jr, No Flomo. Dude can take a punch, but when he gets stun, he recovers quickly. Hes been down once and thats because of his glass hands.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm

powerpuncher wrote:how about george foreman? i dont think that he gets much recognition for his chin. the only times that he was down was to ali and ellis and those were both more out of exhaustion than actually being hurt.
..ellis never fought foreman.you confused him with jimmy young the light fisted one and ron lyle had george on the deck twice.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:03 pm

Diego408 wrote:Floyd Mayweather Jr, No Flomo. Dude can take a punch, but when he gets stun, he recovers quickly. Hes been down once and thats because of his glass hands.
..floyd has a good chin.i dont count floyd taking a knee because he hurt his hand but i do count it when jab decked him and wasnt given the credit.the one shot hatton hit him with could of been called a knockdown for floyd staggered backwards and the ropes saved him from going down..the same thing happened to holmes fighting butterbean and they scored it as a knockdown.im not sure i totaly agree with that ruling though.

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:30 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
..ellis never fought foreman.you confused him with jimmy young the light fisted one and ron lyle had george on the deck twice.
oh ya, i meant young. i forgot about lyle but i do have to say that lyle was a beast also and would have knocked down almost anyone with those shots.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Diego408 wrote:Floyd Mayweather Jr, No Flomo. Dude can take a punch, but when he gets stun, he recovers quickly. Hes been down once and thats because of his glass hands.
I don't consider Floyd in the category of these other guys. He fights too defensively to be able to judge. He's been wobbled a few times, but his style keeps him from being knocked down more than his chin. He rarely gets hit flush.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next