The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why is andre ward so underrated?

+8
EnragedSlayer
Gumby
gomez1012
freakzilla
dmar5143
GrantZilla
flapanther2001
powerpuncher
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

why is andre ward so underrated? Empty why is andre ward so underrated?

Post  powerpuncher Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:03 am

i swear that this guy gets no love. he is undefeated and has fought tough competition the last while. i feel like he is a top 5 p4p (laugh if you want). not only has he won fights, but he has easily won them. im sure that he will handle froch with ease too. i just hope that after he wins that fight, he gets the respect that he deserves.

the only fighters i would have over him are mayweather, pac, JMM, and maybe martinez or donaire. after he beats froch though, i feel like he should be above donaire and martinez for sure. maybe im the only one who feels this way but maybe not. in any case, ward will beat froch and then beat bute then you will all have to accept the fact that he is a top fighter.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

why is andre ward so underrated? Empty Re: why is andre ward so underrated?

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:20 am

I think it's because he's not flashy, doesn't trash talk and fights in smaller markets. He is, IMHO, the best 168 lber in the world. I think he smacks Froch around & tears Bute a new asshole.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:32 am

He's got a good fanbase in his hometown of Oakland. Can't say that about other fighters like Berto, Bradley, Dawson, Hopkins, ect.

A win over Froch and becoming The Man at Super Middle will boost his profile. He'll never be a superstar because he lacks power or a charismatic personality. But he'll get some nice paydays and if he get's winning over top guys could become a good B-side and spoiler in a big money fight.

Last edited by GrantZilla on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:39 am

GrantZilla wrote:He's got a good fanbase in his hometown of Oakland. Can't say that about other fighters like Bute, Bradley, Dawson, Hopkins, ect.

A win over Froch and becoming The Man at Super Middle will boost his profile. He'll never be a superstar because he lacks power or a charismatic personality. But he'll get some nice paydays and if he get's winning over top guys could become a good B-side and spoiler in a big money fight.

He may not have one punch KO power against the elites, but he's definitely not a pitty pat puncher. He gave Kessler a worse beating than Calzaghe did and he wears down his opponents pretty well. He's also versatile and can fight inside or outside. I'm looking forward to the Froch fight because Froch has shown improvement as he's progressed. I'm praying that the winner gets Bute, praying.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:20 am

People underrate Ward ?

Only issue with Ward is he's got Paulie Malignaggi power.

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:12 am

PP ward is a very good fighter.im not crazy about this pound for pound stuff but as a fighter he rates top 10 of today not top 5.i think most of the serious boxing community respects his abilty as a fighter or else he would not be rated number one in his class by ring or fat dan and others.
why a fighter doesnt not get public adoration is a mystery of sorts with no correct reasons why.take ez charles for example.his greatness isnt a question or his awsome abilty yet ez lacked public love..
its just one of thoses things.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:28 am

I like Andre Ward as a fighter and think he is really good. I do think he is a bit underrated.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:07 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:I think it's because he's not flashy, doesn't trash talk and fights in smaller markets. He is, IMHO, the best 168 lber in the world. I think he smacks Froch around & tears Bute a new asshole.

+1
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:09 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:People underrate Ward ?

maybe overlooked is a better way of describing him, with his style and personality under the radar a bit

He gets his props out here in the Bay Area, but not nationally

843 views!!!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:17 pm

He should do a Subway commerical.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:People underrate Ward ?

he doesnt have paulie type of power. he has enough pop to keep his opponents honest and is very good defensively.

i actually really enjoy his fights although im probably in the minority.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:02 pm

GrantZilla wrote:He should do a Subway commerical.

wouldnt hurt
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:07 pm

I really enjoy his fights and he's one of my favorite fighters right now. He doesn't get respect because his division is so competitive and there's no clear top dog. He would have to beat Froch and Bute, and after that he'd probably be #1 p4p (or at least top 5).

I think 168 is the best division in the sport, but until those guys separate themselves, no one will get the respect they deserve.

If Abe and JT can get back to 160 successfully, they'll do well and show just how good the top guys at 168 are.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  EnragedSlayer Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:49 am

Personally, I don't really like Andre Ward. It has nothing to do with his skills though as he is one of the best in the game right now. It has more to do with I see him as a dirty fighter when he doesn't need to be. He didn't need to headbutt Kessler to win the fight but he did it anyway. He didn't need to elbow the shit out of Bika but he did it anyway. Also I can't stand the whole religious thing.
EnragedSlayer
EnragedSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:02 am

Gumby wrote:I really enjoy his fights and he's one of my favorite fighters right now. He doesn't get respect because his division is so competitive and there's no clear top dog. He would have to beat Froch and Bute, and after that he'd probably be #1 p4p (or at least top 5).

I think 168 is the best division in the sport, but until those guys separate themselves, no one will get the respect they deserve.

If Abe and JT can get back to 160 successfully, they'll do well and show just how good the top guys at 168 are.
i think that its just unfortunate that since there are a lot of solid fighters at 168 that means that they all get grouped into one and get overlooked individually.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:35 am

It's also lack of exposure. It's not just with Ward but a lot young fighters today. As I keep saying, you can't build names and stars fighting on pay channels with a limited subscirber base or PPV.

The tournament been good for us hardcore fans, but we'll watch anything boxing. Showtime rarely ever releases their ratings for boxing, and that's because they are very low. They only got 16 million subscribers after all.

I'm guessing no Super-Six fight got even a million viewers. Imagine if the Super-Six was on ESPN which is available in 100 million homes?

Why I'm disapointed Showtime didn't push to put Ward-Froch on CBS. Even if it came in last in the ratings and got only 2 or 3 millionv viewers. That's a lot more than the fight would get on Showtime.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:45 am

Ward's a good fighter, no question, and probably is more underexposed than he is underrated.

I still think Bute takes him - longer, bigger southpaw with much better power. It's a fight I'd love to see anyway.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:35 pm

I think he is underrated because he is a little boring. He seems to be one of those well rounded guys who does not have that one area that he is just unbelievably great to make him that flashy fighter. If you look at Floyd and Pac they have one or two areas where they are amazing which makes them exciting.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:25 am

When Ward beats Froch, he will get the recognition he deserves for a hyped up match vs. Bute.

I could easily see Bute vs. Ward happening in Atlantic City.

If Ward beats Bute, he will become a star boxer. He has said himself he will move up in weight if he beats Bute.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:26 am

Tobe wrote:Ward's a good fighter, no question, and probably is more underexposed than he is underrated.

I still think Bute takes him - longer, bigger southpaw with much better power. It's a fight I'd love to see anyway.

A great fight. I expect Ward to fight on the inside for all 12 rounds, grinding away at the body.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:10 am

the qualities that really stand out to me about ward are his ability to adjust and his versatility. he can fight his opponents style and beat them at their own game. its ridiculous how crafty he is. his power is obviously his downfall and i think it will be a bigger downfall once he moves up weight, but at 168, his power is good enough.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:10 pm

One thing is he can cutback on the clinching

Going to hurt him if he tries too much of it vs Froch
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:22 pm

gomez1012 wrote:One thing is he can cutback on the clinching

Going to hurt him if he tries too much of it vs Froch
How?
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:24 pm

andre ward is hardly underrated. he is ranked the best in his division and is top 10 p4p. obviously he is being reognised. he is having a successful career and he is the favourite to become undisputed in his division after a tough series of fights. i cant see who is underrating him??

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  EnragedSlayer Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm probably in the minority here, but I can easily see froch winning this fight. He is the bigger, longer and stronger fighter, plus he has a pretty good jab. Ward is faster and better technically. Froch in my opinion has the best resume at super middle. I see this being an extremely close fight with Froch winning a decision. Also Froch will not be afraid to retaliate if Ward starts using dirty tactics. I just disagree with some of the people who think Ward is going to dominate a guy who has never been dominated.
EnragedSlayer
EnragedSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next