The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

24/7 Mayweather v. Ortiz replay

Go down

24/7 Mayweather v. Ortiz replay Empty 24/7 Mayweather v. Ortiz replay

Post  Gumby Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:06 pm

That's the best episode of 24/7 I've seen. I thought it was really well done. The transitions in and out of the fight were perfect. Some thoughts after a few viewings:

1. There was a lot of fight left. Floyd hadn't hurt Victor and even though he took control in rounds 3 & 4, Victor wasn't fading and he still had spurts of effective aggression. It's the best I've seen someone look against Floyd since he's moved up to 147.

2. The cheap shot was legal. Cortez signaled both boxers in and said "let's go." It wasn't explicit but Victor's problem was that he expected Floyd to obey the unwritten laws of sportsmanship and except his apology before resuming action. After they touched gloves, Victor went to hug Floyd while Floyd went immediately back to fighting mode.

3. The cheap shot happened much quicker live. I only saw it on youtube and replay before tonight. When I saw it in real time, Victor had much less time to react. The shot Floyd landed on him was much harder than I thought and he didn't have any time to recover after the left hook.

4. I might favor Manny. Floyd's tendency to duck could hurt him. He's still slick enough to make Victor hit air, but Pac's shots could land flush on an uncovered, off-balance Mayweather.

5. Cortez screwed up. He should've explicitly said, "Fight!" You can argue that he technically did his job, but he literally only had to communicate a simple message to two people and failed to do that. Ortiz definitely didn't get the message. Floyd didn't even say that he heard it was time in, he said he started up because his understanding was that once you touch gloves the fight's back on.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

24/7 Mayweather v. Ortiz replay Empty Re: 24/7 Mayweather v. Ortiz replay

Post  Guest Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:18 am

Hey Gumby, my thoughts are: Yeah, Cortez is a shitty ref, I hate it when he's a ref in a big fight, it always seems like something controversial happens that he can't handle.

That being said, Floyd was on his way to winning the fight when Vic started headbutting and trying to apologize. WTF was Ortiz thinking, geezuz he was even trying to kiss Mayweather. Floyd was a little bit devious with the 2 punches that knocked Ortiz out, but considering the way Ortiz was acting, who gives a fuck.

Back to top Go down