The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Martinez would consider a Lucian Bute fight at 168lb

+2
Tobe
gomez1012
6 posters

Go down

Sergio Martinez would consider a Lucian Bute fight at 168lb Empty Sergio Martinez would consider a Lucian Bute fight at 168lb

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:03 pm

BoxingScene.com spoke with Sampson Lewkowicz, agent for WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, to get a better idea of his fighter's direction beyond this Saturday's rematch with Paul Williams, which takes place at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. If Martinez wins, Lewkowicz tells BoxingScene that a move to 168 for a Bute clash would seriously be considered if the opportunity was presented.

"A fight with Bute is something we would consider. Beyond Paul Williams, there are very few opportunities for Martinez at 154 and 160. If we don't find an opponent who is acceptable to the television network, then a big fight at 168 with someone like Bute is an option," Lewkowicz told BoxingScene.com.

One obstacle in making a Bute-Martinez deal is the network ties of both fighters. Bute recently signed an exclusive three fight package with Showtime, and the last four fights of Martinez have been televised by rival network HBO. The Williams rematch will be the fifth consecutive HBO appearance for Martinez.

While Martinez is not contractually bound to HBO, Lewkowicz says his fighter is very loyal to the network. At the same time, Lewkowicz and Martinez are "willing to listen" to any reasonable offer for a Bute fight.

One fight Lewkowicz knows will never happen is a Martinez clash with Manny Pacquiao.

"People are always asking Martinez about a fight with Manny Pacquiao. People always talk about it, but this is a fantasy fight that will never happen - because Martinez will never fight below 154, or above 168. I believe Pacquiao will return to 147-pounds. Pacquiao is a great fighter, but I don't think he will fight someone like Martinez at 154," Lewkowicz said.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=32886

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez would consider a Lucian Bute fight at 168lb Empty Re: Sergio Martinez would consider a Lucian Bute fight at 168lb

Post  gomez1012 Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:14 pm

I doubt we see it, but its an interesting fight

Id give Sergio a shot, but Bute would be a huge favorite going into it
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez would consider a Lucian Bute fight at 168lb Empty Re: Sergio Martinez would consider a Lucian Bute fight at 168lb

Post  Tobe Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:33 pm

I like Sergios' courage to even consider moving that far up to take that fight; but Bute is too long and strong for him; KO for sure.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:39 pm

this is what im talking about the best fighting the best. if sergio beats and many doesn't fight him then fuck yeah bute-martinez would be great.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:47 pm

At first when this fight was talked about right after Martinez beat Pavlik I thought it was a crazy idea, but I am beginning to think maybe he could compete there.

Sergio does have a similar build to Calzaghe, and he's actually got a longer reach than Bute.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:49 pm

[quote="Ali"]At first when this fight was talked about right after Martinez beat Pavlik I thought it was a crazy idea, but I am beginning to think maybe he could compete there.

Sergio does have a similar build to Calzaghe, and he's actually got a longer reach than Bute.[/quote
that's actually a fair comparison, i agree they also fight very similar.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:09 pm

Question 1 (matching):

(a) began career at 175 and moved down to 168; ________________
(b) began career at 168 and moved to 175; ________________
(c) began career at 147 and fought at 154 until a year or so ago ________________

Possible answers: Lucien Bute, Joe Calzaghe, Sergio Martinez

Question 2 (short answer): Which one doesn't seem to fit with the others?
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:13 pm

captainanddew wrote:Question 1 (matching):

(c) began career at 147 and fought at 154 until a year or so ago ________________

dew you dont think maravilla would do well at 168? i mean at 160 he made pavlik look like shit.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Rum Capital wrote:
captainanddew wrote:Question 1 (matching):

dew you dont think maravilla would do well at 168? i mean at 160 he made pavlik look like shit.

I would love for him to move to 168 and make a splash there as well. Martinez is one of my favorite fighters (coincidentally he is my wife's favorite fighter as she likes how he looks). But, Bute, Ward, Froch, etc.... are bigger guys.

I would prefer that if he is moving to 168 he take a fight against a lesser guy to get used to the weight. But that is doubtful as he is 35 and rightfully is looking for big paydays.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:23 pm

Martinez has quickly become one of my favourite fighters. Sadly due to age, the champ is only going to be here for a good time, not a long time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:25 pm

It is REALLY scary that some of these divisions today are so thin that guys have to leave them to get even good fights.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:32 am

i like both fighters as some of my todays favorites..i hope it doesnt happen..

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:54 am

All this weight jumping would be a great example of how to eliminate the ridiculous jr and super divisions and just have catchweights if guys in different divisions want to fight. They do it anyway. Like for instance if Sergio retains against PW for the middleweight title and Bute (who could compete at 175) retains his version of the light heavy title, they could meet at 167.5 for a catchweight thus eliminating the jr and super divisions and in turn eliminating more than half of the pointless trinkets.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:52 pm

Sergio needs to worry about PW.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down