The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Martinez doesn't rule out a future move to 168lb

3 posters

Go down

Sergio Martinez doesn't rule out a future move to 168lb Empty Sergio Martinez doesn't rule out a future move to 168lb

Post  Guest Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:23 am

BoxingScene.com: Would you consider rising from middleweight up to super middleweight for potential bouts against WBA champion Andre Ward, IBF king Lucien Bute or WBC titlist Carl Froch or a rematch with Kelly Pavlik?

Sergio Martinez: I would need more time. My body is not that big. I would have to grow more. My body is more accustomed to the junior middleweight ranks of 154 and the middleweights at 160 pounds. I would definitely need to pack on a lot more muscle and to train harder for a fight like that to happen at that weight level.

So fights like that would be something that would happen in the future, and not now. My weight and strength are fine at 160 pounds. I feel fine at this weight. I actually have no problem making weight at 160. In fact, it is always fairly easy. I'm really a junior middleweight. I'm not a very big guy, really.

I mean, definitely, I think that going to 168 is something that I would consider. But not now. Definitely in the future. But now now. That's way in the future.

http://www.boxingscene.com/sergio-martinez-talks-chavez-zbik-going-168-more--37102

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez doesn't rule out a future move to 168lb Empty Re: Sergio Martinez doesn't rule out a future move to 168lb

Post  captainanddew Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:26 am

Ali wrote:
BoxingScene.com: Would you consider rising from middleweight up to super middleweight for potential bouts against WBA champion Andre Ward, IBF king Lucien Bute or WBC titlist Carl Froch or a rematch with Kelly Pavlik?

Sergio Martinez: I would need more time. My body is not that big. I would have to grow more. My body is more accustomed to the junior middleweight ranks of 154 and the middleweights at 160 pounds. I would definitely need to pack on a lot more muscle and to train harder for a fight like that to happen at that weight level.

So fights like that would be something that would happen in the future, and not now. My weight and strength are fine at 160 pounds. I feel fine at this weight. I actually have no problem making weight at 160. In fact, it is always fairly easy. I'm really a junior middleweight. I'm not a very big guy, really.

I mean, definitely, I think that going to 168 is something that I would consider. But not now. Definitely in the future. But now now. That's way in the future.

http://www.boxingscene.com/sergio-martinez-talks-chavez-zbik-going-168-more--37102

Yeah he came in at 158.8 for Sergei D. he can still make 154. 168 will be difficult. He weighed around 170 on fightnight last Saturday. The guys he will face at 168 are going to weigh 180.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez doesn't rule out a future move to 168lb Empty Re: Sergio Martinez doesn't rule out a future move to 168lb

Post  Guest Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:31 am

My guess is if Martinez is still the Middleweight king by the time Bute and the Super Six winner square off he'll consider moving up for the challenge and the money.

Last edited by Ali on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:39 am

It used to be that the "Middleweight Champ" never moved from the MW division (For the most part.) Sergio is a natural MW and should stay there and devote his career to defending that specific title. It doesn't matter how many paper champs the MW has, Martinez is seen as the Undisputed champ until someone unseats him. I think he should take honor in that and defend his title for years to come. That's just my take.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:40 am

Ali wrote:My guess is if Martinez is still the Middleweight king by the time Bute and the Super Six square off he'll consider moving up for the challenge on money.

it would be wise for him to do a catchweight. Get guys down to 165 or 166.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:42 am

I wouldn't object if there was huge demand for Martinez vs the 168lb king.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:43 am

Frank wrote:It used to be that the "Middleweight Champ" never moved from the MW division (For the most part.) Sergio is a natural MW and should stay there and devote his career to defending that specific title. It doesn't matter how many paper champs the MW has, Martinez is seen as the Undisputed champ until someone unseats him. I think he should take honor in that and defend his title for years to come. That's just my take.

If I am him I stay the same size and take on anyone good at 154 or 160. He can still make 154.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:52 am

I'd go after Abraham. "Taylor made" if you will.

Dangerous but most winnable of the "top" SMW because Abraham is originally a 160 pounder, SM is originally a 154 pounder, so not too big of a difference at all..

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:56 am

Groundhog wrote:I'd go after Abraham. "Taylor made" if you will.

Dangerous but most winnable of the "top" SMW because Abraham is originally a 160 pounder, SM is originally a 154 pounder, so not too big of a difference at all..

Martinez was originally a 147 pound fighter, but I get your point.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:33 am

he's 36. there's no time to waste 6-9 months bulking up properly. And he's not that big.

Just keep putting him in the ring every 3 months and like Grant said in another thread, match two top 160 contenders on the undercard of each one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:46 am

Canvas wrote:he's 36. there's no time to waste 6-9 months bulking up properly. And he's not that big.

Just keep putting him in the ring every 3 months and like Grant said in another thread, match two top 160 contenders on the undercard of each one.

For all we know Martinez is another freak of nature like Manny and Hopkins.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum