The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No plans for Sergio Martinez vs Lucian Bute according to DiBella

+4
Groundhog
Tobe
captainanddew
gomez1012
8 posters

Go down

No plans for Sergio Martinez vs Lucian Bute according to DiBella Empty No plans for Sergio Martinez vs Lucian Bute according to DiBella

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:05 am

It's no surprise that a dream fight, between Lucian Bute and Sergio Martinez, is on hold until further notice. As reported on BoxingScene.com last week, the network ties of both boxers would likely prevent a possible showdown from happening until a much later date in the future.

Bute, the IBF champion at super middleweight, is one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world and he generates a lot of money in Canada. But, he recently signed an exclusive three-fight contract with Showtime. While there is no binding agreement in place, Martinez and promoter Lou DiBella are very loyal to rival network HBO.

DiBella is not ready to send Martinez to a higher weight division. Even if Martinez received a huge offer to face Bute, the fight couldn't happen because of Bute's exclusive contract with Showtime, says DiBella.

"We'll fight anybody, but Sergio is not yet a 168-pounder. Bute is the big guy who generates the big money at 168 pounds, but frankly, Bute has got a three-fight deal with Showtime, and we're sticking with the people [HBO] who helped us to get where we are," said DiBella.

"So we can't fight Bute on Showtime, and, with respect to being a 168-pounder, if he has an unbelievable opportunity, Sergio would consider fighting King Kong. But this is a guy who was really a 154-pounder who moved up to 160 out of necessity and grew himself into being a middleweight. Sergio will fight anybody, so don't ask him. I ain't going to let him do it."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33063

Back to top Go down

No plans for Sergio Martinez vs Lucian Bute according to DiBella Empty Re: No plans for Sergio Martinez vs Lucian Bute according to DiBella

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:08 am

no need for him to fight at 168..

Back to top Go down

No plans for Sergio Martinez vs Lucian Bute according to DiBella Empty Re: No plans for Sergio Martinez vs Lucian Bute according to DiBella

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:44 pm

I don't care if Sergio moves up, but I'm disapointed to hear Dibella's comments regarding the networks. I would love to see Sergio take his next fight to Showtime after the way HBO mistreated him. They don't owe HBO anything.

Even last night Williams earned more money and was introduced last.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:00 pm

Sturm, Pirog, Lemieux, Angulo

All fights Id be interested in seeing
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:59 pm

Martinez-Bute isnt exactly a necessity. I just hope Boxing doesnt go back to fighters having exclusive long term contracts with networks.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:58 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Sturm, Pirog, Lemieux, Angulo

All fights Id be interested in seeing

I'd love to see him face Sturm, Pirog, and Angulo. No need to have Lemieux thrown to the wolves. He is a young fighter who has a future. He hasn't faced any real competition. Martinez faced Bunema, Cintron, PW, Pavlik, and now PW again. Lemieux hasn't faced anyone legitimate. He needs another two years of escalating competition.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Here's a thought. How about having the MIDDLEWEIGHT champion of the world clean out the MIDDLEWEIGHT division?

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:30 pm

If they want some of the money up here in Canada I think you guys are right to mention David Lemieux. It would be by far the biggest step up for David and Sergio would be a big favorite. I don't see Lemieux's people taking it quite yet - but that's a good fight in a year or so I think.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:40 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:Here's a thought. How about having the MIDDLEWEIGHT champion of the world clean out the MIDDLEWEIGHT division?

We already saw that happen last decade Marble Laughing

Priog and Maybe Strum would be the only Middleweights HBO would even consider allowing on their network.

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:47 pm

Ain't it kinda funny though? Martinez's performance last night was Bute-esque. Only he dropped the left on the jaw as opposed to the breadbasket.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:33 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:Here's a thought. How about having the MIDDLEWEIGHT champion of the world clean out the MIDDLEWEIGHT division?
I agree 100%. I'm so glad this fight isn't even being considered. Martinez has no business at 168 right now. Theres good fights to be made at 160 and he just moved up from 154 for gods sake.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:12 pm

kbyte wrote:
I agree 100%. I'm so glad this fight isn't even being considered. Martinez has no business at 168 right now. Theres good fights to be made at 160 and he just moved up from 154 for gods sake.

Yeah, moving to 168 is a bad idea. He isn't a 168 pound fighter. Going against guys who are going to be 180 pounds on fight night is a bad idea.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Freddie1437 Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:57 pm

I would love to see Bute vs Martinez, but not yet, I would rather see Martinez stay at MW and fight Strum or Angulo (if he gets to come back to the US) I think Bute vs Ward would be the fight to have first.
Freddie1437
Freddie1437

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:01 pm

captainanddew wrote:
kbyte wrote:

Yeah, moving to 168 is a bad idea. He isn't a 168 pound fighter. Going against guys who are going to be 180 pounds on fight night is a bad idea.

Just like Manny IMO shouldn't fight at MW.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Bute is one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down