The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Commentating on HBO last night

+2
Diego408
Gumby
6 posters

Go down

Commentating on HBO last night Empty Commentating on HBO last night

Post  Gumby Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Some interesting stuff happened last night.

The first thing was Max and Roy going at each other a little bit. It started when Max said Ramos should be using his jab and Roy said that he couldn't because a jab left him vulnerable against a taller southpaw. In the PW v. Lara fight Max brought it back up saying that Lara was using his jab effectively against PW and Roy said that it was because Lara is very experienced against guys of all sizes and PW fights small. I agreed with Roy and I like that they go back and forth and get real dialogue going, but I could see these little clashes turn into a bigger issue down the line.

The second thing was Roy watching the PW fight. He came to the conclusion that PW should retire (Max baited him into it a little bit). It was just crazy watching Roy being hesitant to talk about it and then when he got into it he basically started describing himself. I wonder if this fight will make him consider retirement.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Commentating on HBO last night Empty Re: Commentating on HBO last night

Post  Diego408 Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:12 pm

Yeah when he was saying things about Williams retiring and how these type of fights end a fighter, I thought of him. Like shit, you know this but continue to fight after being nearly killed in your last fight (plus the Johnson and Tarver fight). Roy should take some of his own advice and not fight again.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Great post...

I also noticed the banter/bickering. I liked as well, I wish we could have seen Bob Papa's face while they were conversing, AWKWARD! I wonder of the sound of Lara's punches landing had anything to do with the reaction from the guys at ringside. You don't usually hear that many "Oooh's and Ahh's" from the commentators. I will be honest and say that I love listening to Roy, Max and Bob.

I found this on bleacher report, it has some quotes from what the commentators had to say. This fight is making a lot of press for the terrible decision that it spawned, not a good look for boxing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/762517-paul-williams-vs-erislandy-lara-round-by-round-updates-and-analysis/entry/106069-quotes-from-ringside-hbo-commentators-after-paul-williams-beats-erislandy-lara
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:15 pm

and BTW the bickering isnt a bad thing IMO. Whats the point of having these guys always agreeing with each other? I enjoy Kellerman and Roy. They both have some very good insight.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:41 pm

It started when Kellerman was calling Bum Jr a paper Champ. Jones Jr took offense to it, since his career was built on paper titles.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:11 pm

GrantZilla wrote:It started when Kellerman was calling Bum Jr a paper Champ. Jones Jr took offense to it, since his career was built on paper titles.

alot of fighters get defensive when people criticize the paper titles. Jones is the norm rather than the exception when it comes to that.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:07 am

when i went to the martinez-dzinsiruk fight i met them both and one thing i can tell you is that i saw roy walking to the hotel entrance by himself and not too long after max headed to the hotel but with brian kenney and brian's wife. so yeah i don't think they are friend's at all.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down