The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHY DO WE LOVE MANNY?

+4
gomez1012
Frank
Soonermark890
GrantZilla
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WHY DO WE LOVE MANNY? Empty WHY DO WE LOVE MANNY?

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:58 am

Anytime one witnesses a sublime performance in a boxing ring we fans are vulnerable to becoming a "prisoner of the moment." The quality of Manny's effort Saturday leaves one grasping for comparisons and superlatives and it takes time to realize there have been other fighters and fights in past years that also left one grasping (and gasping) in a similar way. Instead one tends to exalt a performance beyond others in a way that may be short-sighted.

Having said that it seems to me a fair question is what is it about Manny that so seems to have struck a chord with many of us? Is there something really unique? Well from a "big win" perspective Manny isn't the equal of Ray Leonard or Muhammad Ali. From a sheer talent perspective Roy Jones, Floyd Mayweather and Roberto Duran are certainly in his league. From a produces exciting fights perspective didn't Bobby Chacon, Aaron Pryor and Tommy Hearns do as much? Even moving through divisions, a stunning accomplishment, isn't unique and is it so different from Roberto Duran beating the formidable (He beat Alexis Arguello in his last fight) featherweight Ernesto Marcel and the formidable Iran Barkley (who beat Tommy Hearns twice) at 160?

Please understand that my intent is NOT to dismiss Manny in any of these areas. I mean look at the quality of the names I have to compare him too! I am trying instead to identify why he seems so uniquely compelling. I think it comes down to three traits, two on display primarily in the ring and one on display primarily outside it.

The Late Growth Spurt-By this I am not referring to Manny's physical growth, but his technical growth and the timing of it. I CAN think of fighters who have technically grown as much as Manny has while a pro. Roberto Duran comes to mind. But Duran was a finished product by the time he was 23. What I can't come up with is a guy who improved so much technically after almost 50 fights and over a decade as a pro and two linear titles. I think what strikes us as fans are the personal characteristics necessary to even make that possible. Humility, of course, the recognition one must improve. Another is dedication. How many highly accomplished fighters would be willing to put in the thousands of hours necessary to remake one's self over 2-3 years? Imagination is a third. To even begin a process like that, one must be able to comprehend that such an improvement is possible and believe that the work will lead to the desired outcome. Those are three highly attractive and admirable personal traits. What makes this an enduring phenomenon is that process seems an ongoing one. Because he wasn't in top physical form last night (my view), both his craft and his ring IQ became more readily noticeable. Even now, at 31, Manny grows.

In ring exuberance-Some fighters are dour in the ring, others are fierce, yet others are stoic. Not very many openly demonstrate joy from the moment the opening bell rings. Muhammad Ali did it, Bobby Chacon did it and Johnny Tapia might have been the most exuberant of my lifetime. But when we watch Ali we also know he has a nasty side and we know with both Chacon and Tapia that in some way they are running from demons. Manny is like a child in his joy. It is innocent and honest and pure. Every time he fights it is like he himself is somehow filled with wonder, how can we as fans not be? Manny seems to take little pride in his talent recognizing much of it is God given. Instead of pride we seem to see gratitude. When we see that from him how can we too not be grateful for this boxing treasure?

Class-Think of the classiest, finest, most admirable men to ever lace up gloves and names like Dick Tiger, Alexis Arguello, Henry Armstrong and Eder Jofre come to mind. Manny belongs in that company. He seems genuinely moved by the plight of his people, honestly fears his God, is complimentary of his foes and has no desire to do more damage than absolutely necessary in the ring. Now is Manny a saint? I doubt it. But in a sport where we are forced to endure the lies and boasting of Bob Arum and Golden Boy Productions and Floyd Mayweather and 13 Manny stands out like a beacon of what is possible. He is what Arguello was in the late 1970's, an example of another way to be an athlete.

I apologize for being long-winded, but I am amazed at how Manny has hit me over the past two years. I was hoping to figure out why.

Back to top Go down

WHY DO WE LOVE MANNY? Empty Re: WHY DO WE LOVE MANNY?

Post  GrantZilla Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:42 am

I think Manny benifits a lot from making his break-through at the right time

The HW division is DEAD

Manny made the current biggest name and draw in boxing, Oscar, quit on his stool.

The only other big name is, Mayweather. Who does not have a fan friendly style and is a total dick. And now likely going to jail for beating his ex wife and stealing her phone.

Add on he's beaten other names like Hatton, Cotto, and now Margocheato.

Right now in boxing, it's wide open to make a big name because outside Pac, there are none
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:24 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I think Manny benifits a lot from making his break-through at the right time

The HW division is DEAD

Manny made the current biggest name and draw in boxing, Oscar, quit on his stool.

The only other big name is, Mayweather. Who does not have a fan friendly style and is a total dick. And now likely going to jail for beating his ex wife and stealing her phone.

Add on he's beaten other names like Hatton, Cotto, and now Margocheato.

Right now in boxing, it's wide open to make a big name because outside Pac, there are none

Maybe some of it is timing. But why has Manny drawn the attention Floyd hasn't or BHOP? You don't think Manny is unique in some ways?

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:39 pm

Marble put this in the archive section. This is awesome.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:40 pm

I think we like Manny because he's great. He's doing things that no other fighter has done in a long time. He's also very exciting and he doesn't lack ability. Bobby Chacon, Gatti, were very exciting but were nowhere near the class of Pac.

He's also likable. Modesty becomes him. So does his class and tact. These are things we haven't seen in a fighter for a long time. (Klits deserve an honorable mention in this department.)

Also, though he's a once in a lifetime fighter, he doesn't seem to take himself seriously when he's out of the ring. He comes off as a very, well grounded individual.

All these factors would be irrelevant if he wasn't so successful. Let's face it. The world loves a winner.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Definition of fighter

When he taps his gloves, you know its on

He answers back with more
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:48 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Definition of fighter

Isn't that an odd and wonderful habit?

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:51 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

I love it. At the fight as soon as he did that I told my cousin here it comes. LOL

Oh by the way my cousin loved the fight and wants to go again. Its funny because it took me over a week to get him to go this time.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Great fightin spirit
humble outside of the ring
ready to face all challengers
a whirlwind in the ring
scores devestating KO's and knocks a lot of people down
is active for 3 minutes of every round
takes some to give some
is vulnerable in the sense he gets hit which helps to make a fight
never lacks excitement
always goes for the KO
doesn't trash talk
when he gets hurt he asks for more
We love Manny Pacquiao because if we could all design our own virtual fighter, we would get that fighter all the attributes that Manny Pacquiao has. speed, power, granite chin, relentless workrate and the heart to match the size of his Star

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:54 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

Sure is!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:54 pm

dbudge wrote:Great fightin spirit
humble outside of the ring
ready to face all challengersa whirlwind in the ring
scores devestating KO's and knocks a lot of people down
is active for 3 minutes of every round
takes some to give some
is vulnerable in the sense he gets hit which helps to make a fightnever lacks excitement
always goes for the KO
doesn't trash talk when he gets hurt he asks for more
We love Manny Pacquiao because if we could all design our own virtual fighter, we would get that fighter all the attributes that Manny Pacquiao has. speed, power, granite chin, relentless workrate and the heart to match the size of his Star

Geeze was THAT good! +10

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:59 pm

If I was an opponent I'd say "Oh shit!" when he does that. That's when he's mad.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:01 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:

If I was an opponent I'd say "Oh shit!" when he does that. That's when he's mad.

Truth!

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Great read Marble...and all of it true. The only knock that may hinder some futurista's from bestowing the greatness that he deserves is, in my opinion, the catch-weights. Not just the weights themselves, but they way they were (obviously) negotiated in Manny's favor. I can just hear some wet-behind the ears wannabe journalist claiming that had Manny not forced his opponents to certain weight restrictions that the outcome may have been different. In retrospect, would he have spanked Cotto if the fight was at 147? I think so. Hell, he could've let Margo weigh 154, legitimized the strap they fought for & still whipped him. Thoughts?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:04 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Truth!
Did anyone else just love it when margo was acting like manny's punches were not hurting him and then he got drilled three times to the head.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:05 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Great read Marble...and all of it true. The only knock that may hinder some futurista's from bestowing the greatness that he deserves is, in my opinion, the catch-weights. Not just the weights themselves, but they way they were (obviously) negotiated in Manny's favor. I can just hear some wet-behind the ears wannabe journalist claiming that had Manny not forced his opponents to certain weight restrictions that the outcome may have been different. In retrospect, would he have spanked Cotto if the fight was at 147? I think so. Hell, he could've let Margo weigh 154, legitimized the strap they fought for & still whipped him. Thoughts?
The fight could have had no weight restrictions at all and I dont think the outcomes would have been different.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:07 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Great read Marble...and all of it true. The only knock that may hinder some futurista's from bestowing the greatness that he deserves is, in my opinion, the catch-weights. Not just the weights themselves, but they way they were (obviously) negotiated in Manny's favor. I can just hear some wet-behind the ears wannabe journalist claiming that had Manny not forced his opponents to certain weight restrictions that the outcome may have been different. In retrospect, would he have spanked Cotto if the fight was at 147? I think so. Hell, he could've let Margo weigh 154, legitimized the strap they fought for & still whipped him. Thoughts?

I think when a guy is going into his tenth division and when he is really probably a lightweight anyway, complaining about catchweights is lame.

Just my view. I mean what is braver? Fighting in say three or five divisions or ten divisions with catchweights?

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:14 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

I think when a guy is going into his tenth division and when he is really probably a lightweight anyway, complaining about catchweights is lame.

Just my view. I mean what is braver? Fighting in say three or five divisions or ten divisions with catchweights?
See, I agree with all of that. If only Freddie had that much confidence from the beginning. It's brave to move up in weight, but braver to fight a belt holder without restrictions.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:15 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

See, I agree with all of that. If only Freddie had that much confidence from the beginning. It's brave to move up in weight, but braver to fight a belt holder without restrictions.

Yeah, but it's also getting perilously close to foolhardy in my view.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 pm

If you don't mind I'll weigh in:

The catchweight against Margarito IMO benefited both fighters. To me Margarito a career welter, was able to gain 3 pounds more than he normally would. His next fight was said to be at the welterweight limit. I think Manny would have beat Cotto at the sanctioned limit as well. The strap is not legitimate that's not to be debated.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:19 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

But to be fair Margo is a 147 pounder so really pac let him have an extra 3 pounds. Cotto is the only one anyone could complain about and even that is a ?.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Manny Pacquiao is just a phenomenal athlete. what he does he beyond recognition from only the boxing world. he is a consumate professional. he genuinely gives the fans what they want and he seems to use his fame for what he sees as being the right thing to do. i feel pity on those that attempt to diminish his achievements because it will be a long long time before anybody comes close to replicating them

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:24 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Foolhardy, maybe, but that's what fighting is all about. Finding out what you can do, whatcha got? Arguello didn't ask Pryor to meet him at a lower weight. If I'm a belt holder & the little guy wants to test himself against me...c'mon up.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:25 pm

dbudge wrote:Manny Pacquiao is just a phenomenal athlete. what he does he beyond recognition from only the boxing world. he is a consumate professional. he genuinely gives the fans what they want and he seems to use his fame for what he sees as being the right thing to do. i feel pity on those that attempt to diminish his achievements because it will be a long long time before anybody comes close to replicating them

Yup. Why someone would choose to do anything other than simply enjoy this is beyond me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:26 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Foolhardy, maybe, but that's what fighting is all about. Finding out what you can do, whatcha got? Arguello didn't ask Pryor to meet him at a lower weight. If I'm a belt holder & the little guy wants to test himself against me...c'mon up.

But the belts are meaningless. Who cares? Each of Manny's four lineal belts was won at the limit of the division.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next