The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: Martinez will fight Darren Barker Oct. 1

+7
NJBeatdown86
SlickMoney
powerpuncher
gomez1012
Groundhog
UBeeg9cats
GrantZilla
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

UPDATE: Martinez will fight Darren Barker Oct. 1 Empty UPDATE: Martinez will fight Darren Barker Oct. 1

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Last edited by GrantZilla on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: Martinez will fight Darren Barker Oct. 1 Empty Re: UPDATE: Martinez will fight Darren Barker Oct. 1

Post  UBeeg9cats Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:43 pm

I'm pretty high on Geale. I think Sergio beats any middleweight but Geale and Sturm are the only 2 that can keep it somewhat competitive for awhile. Wow, the previous sentence really highlights how poor the middleweight division is when only 2 guys will kinda sorta give a good fight.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: Martinez will fight Darren Barker Oct. 1 Empty Re: UPDATE: Martinez will fight Darren Barker Oct. 1

Post  Groundhog Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:48 pm

We want Pirog! Anyone know who the froch Barker is?

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Groundhog wrote:We want Pirog! Anyone know who the froch Barker is?

Geale is ranked 2nd at Middleweight, while Pirog is ranked 8th. He's also going to take a joke WBO manditory fight against Gennady Martirosyan, who is ranked 43 by Boxrec.

Barker is an undefeated Euro prospect.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:34 pm

Geale would be an excellent choice, so long as they don't promote Geale as the champ. Hell, make it in Australia and put it on Showtime.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:36 pm

+1 Canvas
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:15 am

martinez just needs to fight all of the top middleweights. beat geale, then sturm, then bum jr, then pirog. he could easily do that within a year.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:19 am

Geale would be perfect.

Middleweight Champ vs Middleweight Champ. You cant beat that! tongue

I will O.D. if Martinez fights Barker.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:33 am

SlickMoney wrote:I will O.D. if Martinez fights Barker.

Like Scott Hall?
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:58 am

NJBeatdown86 wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:I will O.D. if Martinez fights Barker.

Like Scott Hall?

That boy got 9 lives. How him and Jake The Snake Roberts are still living is beyond me.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:03 am

FlaPanther posted a link to a recent article about Hall, and he's been hospitalized for some time, serious complications and is so broke he needs to sell off his wrestling gear. You can buy the Razor Ramon jackets now.

I'll never forget the time when Jake showed up at the Heroes of Wrestling PPV so fucked up that the promoter had to send King Kong Bundy and Yokozuna to help Jim Neidhart turn their match into an impromptu tag team match. Also remember hearing a story a couple of years ago about Jake passing out drunk in the locker room at a show and little airplane bottles of vodka were everywhere. He then woke up, punched out a wall, hurt his hand and started crying, ran outside the high school this debacle took place in, came back, stumbled around the ring, only to have his opponent slap him around for real and kick him out of the ring.

And you thought boxers were screwed up people.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:58 am

i knew that scott hall had drug problems but i didnt realize jake the snake had a drinking problem. wasnt he supposed to be really religious?
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:27 am

Jake Roberts is a meth/crackhead. He was featured in a documentary a few years back where it showed him hitting the pipe in a motel room.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:11 am

Geale's the perfect choice.

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:41 pm

powerpuncher wrote:i knew that scott hall had drug problems but i didnt realize jake the snake had a drinking problem. wasnt he supposed to be really religious?

Was just a gimmick, he used to kid the boys that it was his "greatest act ever". That was the inspiration behind Steve Austin's "Austin 3:16" line.

And Geale is an okay choice, but i'd rather see him against the winner of Sturm-Macklin or Pirog (despite Pirog looking like shit in his last fight).
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:47 pm

not 100% sure,but from the way geale's talking not sure he has martinez in his sights next.geale's a fighter but he knows he needs to be ready to take on martinez.i'm betting he has a tune-up,then a challenging fight,then he'll be game for martinez.geale knows he needs to fight sergio,but when he does he has no intention of losing(whether his ability is capable is another question).my money's on easyish defence,then a sturn fight(makes sense after his belt victory)in germany,then a fight with martinez for the whole cookie jar..just guessi

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:12 pm

I read an article or 2 stating Geale wanted to fight Mundine or Martinez. I wouldn't destroying the little bit of relevance Mundine has left. The problem is Sergio needs a fight and soon. He is an old fighter who hasn't made much money yet. He should be fight 3 or 4 fights a year but won't fight more than twice this year.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:27 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote: He should be fight 3 or 4 fights a year but won't fight more than twice this year.

Not that he won't. Just him and Dibella put themselves at the mercy of HBO
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:26 am

they had geale & mundine on tv together here the week after geale won.mundine was his usual big mouth self & geale said he would fight him but on his terms.unless mundine & his cohorts promote the bout it won't happen imo.that's where most of his money comes from.geale's a fighter & wants to test himself.mundine,unlikely but possible could be geale's easish defense before he moves onto the bigger names.at the moment,not sure geale would qualify as a big money bout for martinez.at the moment outside of hardcore fans i think geale is unknown in the us

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:57 pm

would it draw in Oz?

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:48 am

Middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, the 2010 consensus fighter of the year, will make his third title defense against England's Darren Barker on Oct. 1, promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN.com on Monday.

DiBella and Barker promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport had a quick negotiation on Monday for the fight, which DiBella said likely will take place at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., Las Vegas or in the Dallas-Forth Worth area of Texas.

Barker, the European champion, was certainly not the first choice for Martinez, who has risen to No. 2 behind Manny Pacquiao on most pound-for-pound rankings. However, various other potential opponents turned down overtures DiBella said.

"Out of the guys who are available, this is a guy who wants to fight Sergio," DiBella said.

DiBella said he offered the fight to titleholders Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Daniel Geale as well as junior middleweight titlist Miguel Cotto, Andy Lee and Paul Williams for a rubber match.

"Sergio would have fought any of them, but people are turning him down left and right, but Barker is a guy who wanted this fight," DiBella said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=6659035

Best response to this:

PowerVCT: Who in the heck is Barker? Is he related to Bob? Come on down and get your $@%-whippin Darren!
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:53 am

Martínez might as well go to the UK for this

Shame none of those fighters stepped up but also that DBE didn't even attempt Rubio/Pirog bouts
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:03 am

What is the deal with Dibella and his beef with Piroq?

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:06 am

SMDH. Expect the lowest ratings everrrr.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:25 am

i dont know why they are so against pirog and then they will fight this no named fighter. if pirog isnt worthy, fight him anyway and you can take an easy win over at least a semi known fighter.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next