The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather set to fight Pacquiao - in court

+5
captainanddew
Frank
Groundhog
SlickMoney
GrantZilla
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mayweather set to fight Pacquiao - in court Empty Mayweather set to fight Pacquiao - in court

Post  GrantZilla Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:32 am

(AFP) – 3 hours ago

LAS VEGAS, Nevada — Unbeaten US boxer Floyd Mayweather will fight Filipino star Manny Pacquiao after all, although it will be a legal dispute after a federal judge denied a motion to dismiss the case.

Pacquiao filed a defamation lawsuit against Mayweather, among others, that US District Judge Larry Hicks ruled can proceed because there is sufficient evidence of malicious acts in accusing Pacquiao of being a dope cheat.

"The truth did not stop Mayweather and the others," Pacquiao's lawsuit contends. "That is because they are motivated by ill will, spite, malice, revenge and envy."

"Mayweather and the others set out on a course designed to destroy Pacquiao's career, reputation, honor and legacy and jeopardize his ability to earn the highest levels of compensation."

Pacquiao has never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) but in the 2009 lawsuit he claims that Mayweather, his father Floyd Snr and uncle Roger, promoter Oscar de la Hoya and his employee, Richard Schaefer conducted a campaign in a set of interviews to make people think he used them.

"Defendants argue that Pacquiao has failed to sufficiently allege malice because defendants could not have known one way or the other whether Pacquiao had actually taken PEDs when they made the alleged defamatory statements," Hicks wrote in the order upholding the lawsuit.

"However, the court finds that Pacquiao has sufficiently pled malice in the amended complaint."

Mayweather Promotions attorney Mark Tratos said he would continue to push for dismissal of the case, saying comments at the time were made about Pacquiao's hesitancy regarding blood tests and did not claim he was a dope cheat.

Pacquiao attorney Dan Petrocelli said his client's career would suffer major damage if fans believed he used banned substances.

"Manny has an unblemished reputation and has earned all of his achievements through hard work and his natural-born talent and to call him a cheater is something he cannot and will not tolerate," Petrocelli said.

"None of these defendants have had any evidence to back up the assertion that he has taken performance-enhancing drugs because he didn't."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jFdLwKiEu-jlxgRnIjURkJAU2Vlg?docId=CNG.fea68d58c801d6c0142b5aec8dad2aa0.321
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Mayweather set to fight Pacquiao - in court Empty Re: Mayweather set to fight Pacquiao - in court

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:45 am

More diva antics from Manny.

Back to top Go down

Mayweather set to fight Pacquiao - in court Empty Re: Mayweather set to fight Pacquiao - in court

Post  GrantZilla Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:53 am

Manny is a diva, but I agree with him on this. What the Mayweathers have done is 100% slander.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:56 am

Please, that greedy little woman just wants more money to fill his pockets.

You gotta have tough skin when you're at the top.

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:09 am

Insults are one thing. Slander is another.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:11 am

The only person who's worthy of a slander case is that ignorant buffoon Floyd Sr.

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:01 am

who thinks something is actually going to come out of this?

my guess is nothing happens. things stay the way they are and we get no fight.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:17 am

I'm happy about this lawsuit for a number of reasons.

1. Boxing no longer needs Pacquiao vs. Mayweather. Pac by himself is more than enough entertainment.

2. In all my years of watching boxing, I've never seen a boxer bad mouth a fellow fighter and refuse to fight him at the same time. This lawsuit will take away Mayweather's only trump card which boils down to false accusations vs. Pac. When the public sees that MW's camp was hiding behind this, not to expose Pac, but to avoid fighting him, Floyd's reputation will fall deeper into the abyss.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:00 am

i agree totaly with frank slick and grant on this one.there are boundries you simply dont cross if you have one ounce of decentcy in you.its not a case of because your on top you need thick skin.thats a feeble ass excuse to say anything goes.well anything doesnt go if you have just a tiny tiny bit of respect and decentcy in you..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:01 am

This judgement should stir up all the flomos at ESPN and elsewhere, and start a plethora of new pac-'riod threads. I hope in the end Manny gets a huge settlement out of this, and GBP and the Duckweather family go bankrupt.

BTW, I don't see where Pacquiao is being a "diva", filing a lawsuit and following it up was the right thing to do, if nothing else it will clear his name.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:04 am

The right thing to do would be to grow some thick skin. Any fan with half a brain knows Manny's not using peds.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:16 am

Ali wrote:The right thing to do would be to grow some thick skin. Any fan with half a brain knows Manny's not using peds.
Ali, the problem is that a lot of fans don't half 1/2 of a brain. These people buy tickets, pay good money to see fights and are very vulnerable to believe anything that anyone says. Look at Teddy Atlas. He's on Floyd's side and he supposedly has enough brains to be a commentator on ESPN Friday Night Fights.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:18 am

I don't like this attitude that alot of people have across the Atlantic, suing isn't the answer to everything.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:23 am

Ali you need to go look up the definition of slander

Example if I made public accusations about my business competitor without zero proof and it damaged the reputation of that company, I'd get my ass sues and rightfully lose.

We have free speech, but that does't mean there isn't consequences in what you say, especially if it's intended to damage the reputation of another.

Who knows, the rood accusations might have cost PAC endorsement deals
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:38 am

what is the point of court? Mayweather already won this lawsuit in hypothetical land. No point now.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:49 pm

captainanddew wrote:what is the point of court? Mayweather already won this lawsuit in hypothetical land. No point now.

You mean the same way Duckweather Jr. wins all his hypothetical matchups in the ring? You're joking right? clown

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Ring wrote:
captainanddew wrote:what is the point of court? Mayweather already won this lawsuit in hypothetical land. No point now.

You mean the same way Duckweather Jr. wins all his hypothetical matchups in the ring? You're joking right? clown
My thoughts exactly. No reason for me to write anything here.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Ali wrote:I don't like this attitude that alot of people have across the Atlantic, suing isn't the answer to everything.

whoa Ali, this is diffrent to just insulting somebody. this is slander. slander is as illegal in the UK as it is in the US. if a dinner lady at a school accused the Headmaster of touching children inappropriately to the public without any evidence and without any legitimacy behind that statement at all then where do you think that dinner lady would find herself (other then the back of the dole queue)??? she would be defending herself in court for making slanderous allegations. Defamation lawsuits happen over here all the time. the fact is that Mayweather's statements were slanderous as they were false and defaming. why should everybody now think that the only reason Pacquiao has achieved what he has been able to is because Mayweather has told the world that he uses PEDs repetitively without any evidence and without Pacquiao ever failing an anti-doping test?? Mayweather's ass should be getting dragged through court for it, i didn't see anybody shouting accusations out about him as he moved up in weight class. if the shoe was on the other foot then Mayweather would be taking Pacquiao to court. Slander is slander whether it is in the UK, US, China, India, South Africa etc etc

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Ring wrote:

of course I'm joking. I couldn't resist.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:53 pm

Well said Dbudge
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:34 pm

Manny should just fess up about the use of A-Side meth to walk through the bombs thrown at him by Barrera, Marquez, Morales, Diaz, Clottey, De La Hoya, Hatton, Cotto, Margarito and the Taliban!
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:41 pm

I don't see how the lawsuit accomplishes anything in terms of proving whether or not Manny has used PEDs or swaying anyone's opinion on the matter. Manny's stock and image have not fallen. I think you can just as easily make an argument that the attention from the accusations has helped his career/brand as much as hurt it, and I know that filing this lawsuit in the first place raised more questions than it was ever capable of answering.

It's a money grab that hurts the chances of making the mega fight.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:00 pm

I disagree Gumby. No athlete wants wide speculations of being a PED user/cheat. None of that shit existed with Pac until Mayweathers spread the rumors and became a disease with Flomos, who can't talk about Pac at all without bringing it up.

Fact is, you just can't slander someone like this with zero evidence to back it up. This wasn't just talking shit to sell a fight, or made in jest. There intent was to slander and discredit Pac's acheivements.

dbudge made a great comparison. If you accused another employee and spread rumors that they molested little kids, getting fired would be the least of your problems.

I don't think it's a money grabe. They may ask for a large settlement, but if they win, it'll be a fraction of that, and most of it if not all, will go to legal fees. Arum of all people, who's behind it, knows this.

This purely to make the Mayweathers admitt and face the music about slandering Pac in a pure maliciouse manner.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:07 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I disagree Gumby. No athlete wants wide speculations of being a PED user/cheat. None of that shit existed with Pac until Mayweathers spread the rumors and became a disease with Flomos, who can't talk about Pac at all without bringing it up.

Fact is, you just can't slander someone like this with zero evidence to back it up. This wasn't just talking shit to sell a fight, or made in jest. There intent was to slander and discredit Pac's acheivements.

absolutely. if they were hyping a fight up then fair enough. but their sole purpose was to totally discredit everything Pacquiao has achieved and to sway public opinion into questioning whether Manny Pacquiao had LEGALLY achieved all he had. what Mayweather has accused Pacquiao of is a serious criminal offence. if a fighter at Pacquiao's level was caught using PEDs then think of what the implications would be. that fighter would be in court and paying out millions of dollars in lawsuits. look what Pacquiao did to Hatton for example, if a fighter destroyed a guy's life like that and then were exposed to be a PED cheat, then Hatton could take Pacquiao to the cleaners in court. of course that is hypothetically speaking but my point is that Mayweather is accusing Manny Pacquiao of committing a serious crime with the slanderous comments he's made. if somebody made them kind of remarks to Floyd Mayweather then Mayweather would be dragging them through court for defamation of character. ok i'm exaggerating now, but if somebody accused you of rape then how would you feel about that knowing you were totally innocent.... or not in Grant's case ???

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:23 pm

dbudge wrote: ok i'm exaggerating now, but if somebody accused you of rape then how would you feel about that knowing you were totally innocent.... or not in Grant's case ???

Hey, you saying I'm crazy and a rapist? I'm not crazy

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next