The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marquez turns down Morales fight. Wants Khan

+2
dbudge
gomez1012
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Marquez turns down Morales fight. Wants Khan Empty Marquez turns down Morales fight. Wants Khan

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:43 pm

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/no-marquez-morales-deal-72982

Word is that WBC/WBO lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez rejected Erik Morales as an opponent Thursday afternoon in a meeting with Golden Boy Promotions. Golden Boy has an April 9 date in Las Vegas locked in for Marquez but now must find another opponent.

http://twitter.com/#!/MottaEspn/status/28260705215975426
JM Marquez dice que tiene que tener un rival para el martes. Opciones, Morales, Khan o Berto, pero prefiere a Khan.

ESPN Jaime Mota's reports $$ was an issue and Marquez decided to move on
Marquez says he has to choose an opponent by Tuesday

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Marquez turns down Morales fight. Wants Khan Empty Re: Marquez turns down Morales fight. Wants Khan

Post  dbudge Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:47 pm

gomez1012 wrote:http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/no-marquez-morales-deal-72982

Word is that WBC/WBO lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez rejected Erik Morales as an opponent Thursday afternoon in a meeting with Golden Boy Promotions. Golden Boy has an April 9 date in Las Vegas locked in for Marquez but now must find another opponent.

http://twitter.com/#!/MottaEspn/status/28260705215975426
JM Marquez dice que tiene que tener un rival para el martes. Opciones, Morales, Khan o Berto, pero prefiere a Khan.

ESPN Jaime Mota's reports $$ was an issue and Marquez decided to move on
Marquez says he has to choose an opponent by Tuesday

does that translate to something like, his options are Morales, Berto or Khan and he'd prefer a Khan fight?

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Marquez turns down Morales fight. Wants Khan Empty Re: Marquez turns down Morales fight. Wants Khan

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Si senor
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:00 pm

I'd love to see Marquez and Khan.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:03 pm

I just knew Khan vs the Bradley vs Alexander winner in the summer was to good to be true.

Unless Marquez is willing to fight Khan in England in April.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Ali wrote:I just knew Khan vs the Bradley vs Alexander winner in the summer was to good to be true.

Khan is a protected fighter as the moment. I have to say that in the morbid state boxing is in, we need all the exciting fights we can get. Khan vs. Marquez may be a trilogy. I think Bradley is too good for Khan.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Ali wrote:I just knew Khan vs the Bradley vs Alexander winner in the summer was to good to be true.

That could be, Marquez vs Morales was set for a PPV...switch the dates and could make it work

I believe that is still the plan, Khan vs the winner of next Saturday's fight in July
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Frank wrote:

Khan is a protected fighter as the moment. I have to say that in the morbid state boxing is in, we need all the exciting fights we can get. Khan vs. Marquez may be a trilogy. I think Bradley is too good for Khan.

really?? is that why he faced the biggest puncher in the division and the guy ranked 1 place below him in his last fight and he is actively seeking a fight with the bradley vs alexander winner??? Khan tried making a fight with Marquez, Beristan said he didn't want Marquez to fight Khan. but Khan is the protected fighter so that's what's important

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:01 pm

interesting suprize.first im glad that fight wasnt made..marquez had a fight with morales that was viewd as little competion.he should of taken that fight for the good easy money that was offered.
im sorry but marquez made a mistake and thinks that fight he deserved more money..thats laughable..he wants kahn..well act fast and you have to go to england on april 16..that date is set for kahn..yes that fight will doo far more money over there and marquez should realize its mostly kahn bringing in the bucks..i dont view kahn as a protected fighter..look he just got off a hard win over a top tier hard punching 140 pounder.he says without a doubt he wants the winner of bradley-alexander and that winner will be number 1 at 140..thats not protection.not anymore...i hope kahn takes the marquez fight and beats him to a pulp..executing the right fight plan he will beat marquez far easier then most think...
the younger guys are the future of boxing..marquez who wants that huge payday is not the future of boxing..he should of taken the easy money and lived to fight again...kahn will give him the best money fight outthere if marquez understands he gets the shorter end..kahn will also retire marquez or take him out of the mix for the big money fights..keep your 135 pound crown and kasidis rematch is your last money fight after kahn..

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:56 pm

I don't see why Khan doesn't take this fight. They wanted it coming off the Floyd loss, so they should still want it. JMM has a bigger buzz right now than then anyways. Sure, he'll have to take a hit on the $ compared to before but this is the best option for Khan.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:11 pm

gomez1012 wrote:

That could be, Marquez vs Morales was set for a PPV...switch the dates and could make it work

I believe that is still the plan, Khan vs the winner of next Saturday's fight in July

I can't see a PPV being staged in England.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Ali wrote:I can't see a PPV being staged in England.

Marquez fight was set for Vegas

Who knows
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:18 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:I can't see a PPV being staged in England.

Marquez fight was set for Vegas

Who knows

Khan's definitely fighting in England next, his team have secured a date with Sky Sports and Manchester's MEN Arena. I just have a bad feeling Khan vs Marquez will get in the way of the Bradley vs Alexander winner Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Ali wrote:Khan's definitely fighting in England next, his team have secured a date with Sky Sports and Manchester's MEN Arena. I just have a bad feeling Khan vs Marquez will get in the way of the Bradley vs Alexander winner Crying or Very sad

Yea GBP/HBO are reeling right now

They have no clue what to do when it could be very simple

Khan vs Prescott II in the UK
Marquez vs Ghost Guerrero in the Bay Area w/loaded under card for the PPV
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:31 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:Khan's definitely fighting in England next, his team have secured a date with Sky Sports and Manchester's MEN Arena. I just have a bad feeling Khan vs Marquez will get in the way of the Bradley vs Alexander winner Crying or Very sad

Yea GBP/HBO are reeling right now

They have no clue what to do when it could be very simple

Khan vs Prescott II in the UK
Marquez vs Ghost Guerrero in the Bay Area w/loaded under card for the PPV

That's a smart idea.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:37 pm

ali why would a marquez fight with kahn on april 16th get in the way of a bradley winner fight and somebody else at that date wont..kahn -marquez not a ppv..why not that possibilty.this i dont understand..cause hes not british wont fly as a reson..the current real lightweight champ of the world plus his fights with pac and juans career background you would think sky could sell the heck out of that against a big star in kahn.
you would think a good gate also would resulkt..i dont understand your reasoning please elaberate..thanks.you and dbudge know that market most of us dont.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:40 pm

I said it'll get in the way of the fight in the summer, I'd be very surprised if Marquez agreed to fight Khan in Manchester this April. Plus Golden Boy already have the MGM on hold for Marquez's next fight, it just doesn't seem likely for the Spring.

But then again I said Hatton would beat Pacquiao Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:10 pm

Dan Rafael
(12:32 PM)
Contrary to reports, Marquez HAS NOT rejected Morales as an opponent. Schaefer said that is absolutely wrong. He said, "We met with Marquez yesterday and he will get back to us. He hasn't rejected Morales." The issue is that they are haggling over the money. Marquez, obviously, is asking for a lot money. Golden Boy has a different figure in mind for what is a risky PPV. So they will see if they can reach an agreement. Schaefer said whatever happens, he is doing a PPV from MGM on April 9.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Ali wrote:Dan Rafael
Contrary to reports, Marquez HAS NOT rejected Morales as an opponent. Schaefer said that is absolutely wrong. He said, "We met with Marquez yesterday and he will get back to us. He hasn't rejected Morales." The issue is that they are haggling over the money. Marquez, obviously, is asking for a lot money. Golden Boy has a different figure in mind for what is a risky PPV. So they will see if they can reach an agreement. Schaefer said whatever happens, he is doing a PPV from MGM on April 9.

So who do we believe?

Marquez telling ESPN Deportes this or Schaefer telling Rafael this
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:32 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:Dan Rafael

So who do we believe?

Marquez telling ESPN Deportes this or Schaefer telling Rafael this

Don't shoot the messenger.

It'll come down to whether Golden Boy are willing to meet Marquez's price.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:34 pm

believe both in this case...marquez must think hes a huge star that will draw mega bucks on ppv and is pricing himself out of the market ill believe that more then turning down morales flat out..gb is right that its a risky ppv..move foward without him..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:37 pm

I don't blame Marquez for wanting to fill up his bank account when he's in his late thirties, he has worked hard throughout his career.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:43 pm

i understand his thoughts but if arum said he was the highest of the three and hes overpricing himself here then you end up like winky..no money no fight..if hes looking for 4 or 5 million for morales hes dreaming..ill guarenttee its not 2 million he wants cause that deal would be done...how much does he need in mexico..ego makes you overestimate your worth at times...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:52 pm

dmar5143 wrote:i understand his thoughts but if arum said he was the highest of the three and hes overpricing himself here then you end up like winky..no money no fight..if hes looking for 4 or 5 million for morales hes dreaming..ill guarenttee its not 2 million he wants cause that deal would be done...how much does he need in mexico..ego makes you overestimate your worth at times...

I don't buy Arum's claims about Marquez pricing himself out of that fight, if Bob really wanted to make that fight it could haven been made with ease. He just choose Mosley because he was desperate to cash out.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:19 pm

arum could of made any of the three fights with success..i do believe marquez wanted the most and berto the least.that was implied by many..in that fight with pac even though marquez wanted the most money it still was at least a third or more less then pac would get..with the real possibilty this fight could do 800-000 to a million one hundred thousand ppvs marquez for this fight only was realistic i feel even though he was the highest of the 3..with morales whats the potential there..if alvarez is on the card he would be the main reason mexicans buy the ppv not marquez or morales..that fight on its own will do what.250-000 300 000 at best perhaps..money is then proposed based on thoses expectations.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next