The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2011 to be Ivan Calderon's last year in boxing

Go down

2011 to be Ivan Calderon's last year in boxing Empty 2011 to be Ivan Calderon's last year in boxing

Post  Guest Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:31 am

Former two division champion Ivan 'Iron Boy' Calderon has proclaimed that 2011 will be his final year in boxing. The 'Iron Boy', who turns 36 years later this month, want at least two fights this year and one of them is a world title fight and then he goes forward with his plan to walk away.

His division, 108 pounds, has not produced big dividends for Puerto Rico in recent years. Calderon still remains one of the best fighters get paid at this weight.

"The 2011 is my last year," Calderon said to Carlos Rosario. "It will be my last year because we all know how this economic situation is. I want to be well prepared for the time. I will make a world title fight to make myself a champion again and have a defense or two. With that I'll catch up, even in my economy."

Calderón has a 34-1 mark and 6 knockouts. In 2010 he suffered his first loss by knockout to Giovani Segura of Mexico. Calderon wants a rematch with Segura, which is being worked on for April. Segura, no longer capable of making 108-pounds, wants the fight to take place at 112. Recently, the president of the WBO, Francisco Valcarcel, who once named Calderon as a super champion in his organization, said the Puerto Rican will be receive his title shot this year.

"I want to be champion again and I'll go looking for the opportunity to fight for a title. We wanted a rematch for sure but right now that is far away because it seems that he can not make weight. But I really want to get back at that defeat and if not in the 108, it will take place at 112 pounds," Calderon said.

"2010 treated me well, I have nothing to regret, but if I have to say that the saddest part of my career that I have ever experienced took place. Losing at home, in Guaynabo, before my people, is the hardest thing that has ever happened in my career."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34387

Back to top Go down

2011 to be Ivan Calderon's last year in boxing Empty Re: 2011 to be Ivan Calderon's last year in boxing

Post  Diego408 Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:39 am

He should have retired after the Segura fight, he has no legs anymore.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down